Zweihander

• I don’t think most people realize just how big these swords were. They’re actually closer to polearms lol. Here’s a pic for reference.

http://www.thetallestman.com/images/piergerlofsdonia/piergerlofsdonia%20(2).jpg

Imagine being general infantry and seeing hundreds of those coming at you…I’d poop myself a little. That particular sword is around seven feet long and about 14.5 pounds.

• @Fragbert:

I’d poop myself a little.

^

• Yet here we are, blocking these things with daggers.

• Actually, that Zweihander is an EXTREME example. It was the weapon of frisian warrior Pier Gerlofs Donia, a giant of a man who used a giant of a sword.

While zweihanders are always big, they’re nowhere near that level; a fourteen pound blade for anyone less than around seven feet tall [as Pier was] would be far too difficult to wield effectively.

Usually, zweihanders were between 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 feet long, and 7-10 lbs.

• Most Zweihanders are lighter than AK47. The blade may be long and massive, but due to its thinness the volume of the metal contained in the blade is actually pretty low.

• Eh it’s speculated it was his blade. No confirmation though.

http://www.thearma.org/images/S2000/New … 160037.jpg

As you can see, they’re still huge. The name literally translates to two hander…you needed to use two hands with these things unlike a lot of swords used at the time.

And AKs are damn heavy <_<…especially with wood furniture.

• Zweihander is wielded by two hands not because of its weight (lifting and hurling around 5kg, hell, even 10kg can be completely trival for even beginner body builders). Zweihander is wielded by two hands for superior control and power. Because of its large size, it would be very easy to lose balance wielding it with a single hand.

• @Fragbert:

Imagine being general infantry and seeing hundreds of those coming at you…

Would be funny if they were all slashers!

TK on the battlefield!

:D

• @poiuasd:

Yet here we are, blocking these things with daggers.

Yeah I’ve often questioned that stuff myself. Especially the giant mauls. Doing an overhead slam and they parry it with a 10" knife lol

• @GhoXen:

Zweihander is wielded by two hands not because of its weight (lifting and hurling around 5kg, hell, even 10kg can be completely trival for even beginner body builders). Zweihander is wielded by two hands for superior control and power. Because of its large size, it would be very easy to lose balance wielding it with a single hand.

There are many misconceptions about two handed swords. First, they were light… Very light. My previous cat weighed more than most zweihanders. Granted he was a fat bastard, but still.

Most people that can do a pull up should easily be able to manouver 5 to 10 kg sword with both hands.
    And take note, most two handers actually weight less than 5kg. Rather they usually weigh about 3.5kg. What made them harder to maneuver was really the fact that they were pretty long, which is why a great number of them used compound hilts, to make parrying more effective at short ranges.

Secondly, they were infrequent, and later mostly substituted by longswords or hand-and-a-half swords as far as i know. The reason for this was that two handed sword were created when some warriors desired a blade that you could use two hands with, to deliver more power into their blows.
    Zweihanders adopted a design which allowed warrior to more or less balance speed and striking power by keeping the weight relatively low, and making them longer with a longer hilt for more maneuverability. Still, they were very clumsy to wield.
    The bastard sword was however, also pretty good at penetrating armor, and because of added maneuverability and speed and the ability to be used with a shield, it ended up being the most widely used weapon.

The two handed sword was in it’s essence a specialty weapon, mixing reach and power with more maneuverability than a lance or a pike, and employed mostly in distinct situations rather than all over the battlefield afaik.

• Even 3.5kg is HEAVY for a Zweihänder.
    This beast of a sword wheighed 15lbs, thats roughly 7.5kg and it is X times bigger than a usual Zweihänder.
    You see, most Greatswords were/are around 1.5kg-2.5kg, rarely more.