The Way Things Are (Long Read)

• Hello, I’ve been playing CMW quite a bit lately. Probably not nearly as much as some of you veterans out there. I just wanted to voice my opinion on the way things in this game are.

First of all, for the most part I find the balance in this game is surprisingly good for a relatively new game. The first matter of balance I would like to address is archers. The community seems to have a love hate (mostly hate) relationship with them. I’ve heard many players cry foul about how overpowered, underpowered, useless and annoying they are, and I can sort of relate to all of their opinions. One thing to note about the only true ranged class in the game is the way projectiles work, they always follow a similar path, unaltered by anything else. Why is this important? Well if you are an avid FPS player often times you will hit targets that you were not truly aiming at, due to small amounts of both auto aim and the tendency of projectiles to magnetize towards a target. Correct me if I am wrong but so far as I can tell the projectiles in this game have none of that. Meaning that compared to a traditional FPS it can be extremely difficult to hit targets sometimes. From the point of view of the melee classes archers can be anything from a nuisance to a progress hindering adversary. I like to think of myself as a good archer, but most likely I’m mediocre, and as such I can actually help my allies. I have seen good archers basically doing major damage and often even PTFO’ing. I don’t appreciate it when that one ally (usually a knight) starts attacking me and calling me worthless trash in chat. Also archers are associated with team-killing, where in reality most of the team-killing comes from melee classes who don’t realize that the mouse has a button other than LMB. Also that Rogue bonus is completely useless, unless you are amazing at dancing around enemies. It seems like they kind of tried to fit the archer into a stealth role with that, however because of how the game and maps work, that doesn’t really do anything. I would also like a head shot with a bodkin to a knight to be 1 hit, because even the toughest people I know would die if I shafted them in the face. That’s all I have to say about the archer class. Which is quite a lot.

On to the Vanguard. The vanguard is quite an interesting class. Those pole-arms truly do separate it from the other melee classes. Their extended reach can be very useful at fending off an aggressor. My only real criticism of this class is the sprint attack. It doesn’t seem to be particularly useful and often isn’t even as good as a specific other attack. So why sprint around like a lunatic to charge some useless attack? I don’t know if any of you have looked at the real weapon stats on that google doc, but you can see that each weapon has a particular attack that does the most damage, for example the Zweihander (Spelling?) has an amazing stab and the Bardiche excels with the overhead. I think that the sprint attack should utilize their preferred strike to do more damage. The halberd is a good example of this, as it’s best strike is the stab and it’s sprint stab will 1 hit multiple classes.

The knight is an interesting beast. The hand and a half swords can be a handful for for many opponents in close quarters. I am terrible with this class as the overall slowness really isn’t enjoyable for me. Balance wise, they are fine. Moving on.

The man at arms class is extremely dynamic and fun, I don’t think I’m very good with this class but I enjoy it every time I play it. I notice they excel on small maps with cramped corridors where the long weapons of knights and vanguards often get caught on stuff. The fire pot, in my opinion, is very underpowered. It only does damage if you are in range when it bursts? I think it should work the same as the flame from the traps on Arena. They seem to be well balanced. I have yet to master the dodge but I’ve seen it used quite effectively.

Other thoughts: I think more dynamic objectives in TO would be nice. Doing the same objective for so long becomes tedious and bland. By the way, just because you continuously get killed by a weapon you seem to not know how to counter, doesn’t mean it’s overpowered. The vote kick system is good in theory but doesn’t work well in practice. For instance I have tried to vote kick some ally intentionally and incessantly killing me to have the vote fail and be vote kicked myself. The other team shouldn’t have a say in who gets kicked from your team, as they could succeed in just kicking your best players. People from the internet are stupid, don’t take anything someone says in chat to heart, they can be jerks because there are no repercussions for there actions. However please be curious, I always make sure to type a quick sorry into team chat if I inadvertently team kill.

Thanks for reading this brain dump, hope to see you on the battlefield! :archb:

• Nice read, although I don’t think the fire pot is under-powered, I think if it had a buff it could be considered OP by some(already is by some).

• @SirRectumRaider:

Nice read, although I don’t think the fire pot is under-powered, I think if it had a buff it could be considered OP by some(already is by some).

I don’t think the oil pot is either overpowered OR underpowered… It is definatly situational, however!

What a lot of people’s issue is with this weapon is the fact it has a “blast radius” effect… You don’t really have to aim it like the other ranged weapons to get the effect…

Heck, I usually throw the damn things across the map to see if I can bomb someone long-range style… I don’t usually use them as a real means to weaken someone… I just like drop-shotting people from a mile away :lol:

• @Prof.Wubba:

The other team shouldn’t have a say in who gets kicked from your team

I might also recommend detecting the ratio of legit kills to teamkills if that is somehow possible before allowing a votekick in the first place.

• most of the times i get kickvoted for being #1 on my team, the #1 of the opposite team would point this out and demand everyone to vote no. (There are awesome people out there)

As for archers… It is hard to hit moving and dodging targets and the projectile behaviour seems very unnatural too me (I just can’t aim by feeling and I think I’ll never be able to) but it’s how chivarly’s archery works and it shouldn’t be changed.
    A greater problem is the imbalance between all 9 ranged weapons since only 3 of them are actually viable currently… This has to be changed, along with a fix for the buggy pavise shield.^^

The vanguard charge is generally considered useless, i guess, but I’m not sure if they’re going to change it. TBH it is appearantly alot stronged if performed with 1 handed weapons.

There was a beta including a firepot damagebuff and it was considered OP by almost everyone, so it wasn’t released. Still, I can’t see the harm in your suggestion, except for maa would be able to block objectives with firewalls, but why not?

@locus they should simply show teamkills on the scoreboard.

Oh and I do hope they change / implement new objectives that are more like in AoC where you actually had to do something rather than stand around and wait. :D

• Thanks for your input guys! That thing with the teamkill showing up is a really good idea.

• @Locus?:

I might also recommend detecting the ratio of legit kills to teamkills if that is somehow possible before allowing a votekick in the first place.

There are other valid reasons besides teamkilling for voting to kick a player, though. What might help is a required field to include your reason for the kick prior to confirming, so at least people aren’t voting blind.

• @Humber:

@Locus?:

There are other valid reasons besides teamkilling for voting to kick a player, though. What might help is a required field to include your reason for the kick prior to confirming, so at least people aren’t voting blind.

Yeah that is a good idea.

• You’re mistaken about the Zweihander. It’s strongest attach is the overhead. All Vanguard 2H swords have the exact same stab damage stats.