Hate Archers? I managed to remove em from my server.

• Hate Archers raining arrows down into your pretty little face? Wish that you could enjoy a server that prohibited these ranged baddies from ruining your fun?

I finally solved the puzzle - I have configured my server to prohibit Archers from using ranged attacks. Sure, they can still melee if they so wish, and all other classes still have access to throwing axes/knives/oil pots/smoke pots. I saw many craving an Archer-free environment, and I’m proving one to see how it goes. You are more than free to thank me!

You will find this server listed in the browser as:

ARCHER FREE SERVER, GUARANTEED!!
    Click Here to Join!

Perhaps I’ll think of a more witty name later, but wanted to draw some attention to this feat. Come give it a try - more importantly, try to fire off a projectile and let me know how you do. 8-)

EDIT: You’ll notice that the crossbow comes stocked with 1 bolt loaded, and you can also still visit ammo boxes to reload your ammo. HOWEVER- when you shoot any bow/crossbow, the arrows fall to your feet instead of flying off. Thus, if you see an archer wielding projectile weaponry, you can safely assume that they’re only capable of melee combat.

Discuss-

• I can still throw axes lol.

• @gregcau:

I can still throw axes lol.

@JHoersten2:

and all other classes still have access to throwing axes/knives/oil pots/smoke pots

• So in other words, a server with just noob vanguards that will forever suck at the game :D

• @Blackjack:

So in other words, a server with just noob vanguards that will forever suck at the game :D

I actually tried to get rid of their crappy sprint-lunge attack as well, since I was tinkering with things. When I did, they were able to sprint and attack without slowing down at all - was quite OP. Took the less of two evils on that one…

Was going to mess with Fist damage as well, but it seems Torn Banner doesn’t want us to have THAT much fun modding our private servers. Oh well. So far though, the anti-archer thing is working out nicely. Curious to see how it’s received after reading so much whining during the past few weeks.

• I’ll be sure to check it out! Is it eastern US, perhaps?

• @JHoersten2:

@Blackjack:

So in other words, a server with just noob vanguards that will forever suck at the game :D

I actually tried to get rid of their crappy sprint-lunge attack as well, since I was tinkering with things. When I did, they were able to sprint and attack without slowing down at all - was quite OP. Took the less of two evils on that one…

Was going to mess with Fist damage as well, but it seems Torn Banner doesn’t want us to have THAT much fun modding our private servers. Oh well. So far though, the anti-archer thing is working out nicely. Curious to see how it’s received after reading so much whining during the past few weeks.

Well, it can go 2 ways I suppose.

I am curious though, will they find something new to complain about and ask to be removed? Please let us know 8-)

If they do all end up playing vanguard, you might as well remove the sprint attack as well ;)

• @Slaughtervomit:

I’ll be sure to check it out! Is it eastern US, perhaps?

Chicago

@Blackjack:

I am curious though, will they find something new to complain about and ask to be removed? Please let us know 8-)

I’m tempted to add in weird things after this settles, like upgrade archers to an additional 100%-200% damage bonus for backstabbing, since they have no projectiles and are fragile.

• Can you add lions and bears to your server? I’d love to have lions and bears in the arena map. Maybe even a dragon too.

• @peasant:

Can you add lions and bears to your server? I’d love to have lions and bears in the arena map. Maybe even a dragon too.

Yeah im pretty sure he just has to go into the config and set the “addlionsandbears” value to true.

• @Smellyhobo101:

@peasant:

Can you add lions and bears to your server? I’d love to have lions and bears in the arena map. Maybe even a dragon too.

Yeah im pretty sure he just has to go into the config and set the “addlionsandbears” value to true.

This is probably the funniest post I have ever seen :lol:

• @JHoersten2:

I’m tempted to add in weird things after this settles, like upgrade archers to an additional 100%-200% damage bonus for backstabbing, since they have no projectiles and are fragile.

Somehow I dont think anyone will be playing an archer on your server.

• You’re doing Gods work son! Now make another server for Europe.

• @JHoersten2:

That’d be interesting. With 100% bonus damage, headshots with the Short Sword, Javelin and Heavy Javelin one-shot Vanguards from behind. Heavy Javelin would kill a Knight with one headshot from behind followed up by a stab to the body from the front.

• So, can you please tell us what configs and settings you have edited?

• The server has been fairly empty all day - I can’t say that people are as interested in archer-free play as all the QQing on the forums has led me to believe.

Perhaps it was just players raging at having been shot up in their last game. I’ll let it remain up for awhile longer before I begin tinkering more.

I did raise Archer backstab damage to 250% from 150% and knocked their speed up a tad as an incentive.

• @Blackjack:

This bit made me lol. :D

Was pretty much the same in Alpha, everyone screaming about archers was playing as a Vanguard and running around out in the open.

• While your effort is a noble one, your contribution to this community is near pointless until you tell the rest of us server owners how to accomplish what you’re doing. What cfg variables must be edited? My best guess is that you set arrow speed to 0 or something of that effect. Tell everyone how and you’ll start to see some change.

• @Slight:

While your effort is a noble one, your contribution to this community is near pointless until you tell the rest of us server owners

Pointless, you say? If I were less of a man, I’d simply call out your jealousy.

These are not efforts, but achievements completed. Their contribution is a modification that has been accomplished, not one that is only validated upon releasing it to you. It is not required of me to spill the research I’ve completed within one day of figuring it out. Perhaps there are bugs caused by it that I’m currently unaware of.

Regardless, if you feel that it’s “near pointless” until you get your hands on it, then I suggest you move along; the entitlement you feel is uncalled for.

On another note, I also have the ability to single out any other class from play if so inclined. With a bit of dev support it could be made to look more legit on servers, but as of now it would yield more confusion to unaware players.

• If you can stop them being able to block every attack with a dagger - then I’ll be happy.