Arrows and their damage.

• Seriously, have they oomphed the damage on arrows lately?

I am taking more damage from a single arrow/crossbow hit from 50m away than I do from taking a Zweihander to the face. Every bow in the game can literally 2 shot a Vanguard from long range.

Is this working as intended?

I had matches where the enemy team was defending a pushable and their team were 50% archers. We had no chance to get anywhere close with all the arrows 2-shotting us from long range.

I am fine with there being bows/crossbows in a medieval game. I am not so fine with them doing MORE damage than 2H’ers while sitting in a comfortable safespot 50m behind the actual battle.

This really needs to be looked at, cause right now the game feels more like “Sniper Ghost Warrior: Medieval” than it feels like an actual medieval melee game. Lately I started using the crossbow myself and it’s moronically simple to hit people due to the large hitboxes… and with 2 crossbows being all you need you basically get 1 kill on every bolt since most players are already wounded when they get into the melee-fighting with your other teammates.

This is so absurdly silly that I have simply stopped playing and get my fix of melee-fighting in War of the Roses instead.

Absolutely no fun camping a palisade and racking up free kills for no effort… and definitely no fun being nothing but a free kill for enemy archers when you try to actually have some fun in a MELEE-oriented game.

Thanks for now.

• And what if you were playing as an archer?Would you like to need 3 or 4 shots to kill someone while it’s very hard?

• @Devil:

I am taking more damage from a single arrow/crossbow hit from 50m away than I do from taking a Zweihander to the face.

You know a Zweihander overhead headshot insta kills MaA and Archer, right?

Yes, arrows are supposed to deal that amount of damage, especially to Vanguards. Archers are a Vanguards’ weakness. If you hate being that susceptible to archers, I suggest playing another class and get a shield.

Not entirely sure what you are proposing to do else anyways… Do you suspect archers to turn you into a complete pincushion before you’d finally succumb?

@Devil:

(…) have some fun in a MELEE-oriented game.

And will people stop this BS? It’s called medieval warfare. Archery is just as important as any melee aspect. If you have issues with ranged combat, then this is not the game for you. In fact I don’t think you’ll find many games of today enjoyable.

• deal with it 8-)

• You should be thankful that they do kill in 2 hits and not in 1 (unless you hit the head).
    Are you expecting to survive like nothing happent with 2 arrows in your chest?

• Just be thankful the Heavy Crossbow doesn’t one hit kill Vanguards to the chest. Both the Guardsman and Crusader died to a single bolt to the chest in Age of Chivalry. 8/9 classes in AoC died to a single bolt (Sergeant and Knight requiring headshots), whilst the Heavy Knight was completely immune to one hit kills and was a stupidly overpowered class anyway. Crossbow was very nicely balanced in AoC, I even played it alongside Crusader.

The damage wasn’t increased though, and Vanguard dieing to 2 arrows/bolts from everything except Shortbow is normal.

• @Metrocop:

You should be thankful that they do kill in 2 hits and not in 1 (unless you hit the head).
    Are you expecting to survive like nothing happent with 2 arrows in your chest?

hahaha… indeed sir… indeed…

Besides… Archer is the hard counter to Vanguard… !

• This is why I suggest that people learn two classes rather than just specializing in one. There will come a time when it’s best to swap classes. I play both MAA and archer, and I’ll lean heavily on MAA if there are already too many archers on my team, or if there are a lot of MAA or knights on the other team. I’ll switch to archer if we need to counter-snipe, or if there are a lot of vanguards on the other team and not enough archers on mine.

If you’re playing vanguard and you’re facing a lot of entrenched archers with superior positioning, then I highly advocate switching to knight or maa and grabbing a shield. Otherwise, at least try to flank the archers or allow a shielded ally to go on ahead of you. Also, chuck those axes at 'em, give them something to think about, or drop a smoke bomb to cover your approach.

• Arrows need to be 1 hit kills in the head. People say they are, but they aren’t. Many times I have shot an arrow that can gone straight through their eye and you can see them running around with an arrow through their skull like nothing has happened -.-

• @DrOstler:

Arrows need to be 1 hit kills in the head. People say they are, but they aren’t. Many times I have shot an arrow that can gone straight through their eye and you can see them running around with an arrow through their skull like nothing has happened -.-

It depends on the weapon and the class you’re hitting: The shortbow won’t 1-shot anyone, even to the head; the longbow will only 1-shot archers on a headshot; the warbow will 1-shot archers and man at arms with a headshot, and vanguards too if you’re using bodkin arrows (the warbow will also 1-shot archers on a torso shot with broadheads). Nothing will 1-shot a knight, not even a heavy javelin, crossbow, or warbow bodkin arrow to the head.

• @stickytape:

@DrOstler:

Arrows need to be 1 hit kills in the head. People say they are, but they aren’t. Many times I have shot an arrow that can gone straight through their eye and you can see them running around with an arrow through their skull like nothing has happened -.-

It depends on the weapon and the class you’re hitting: The shortbow won’t 1-shot anyone, even to the head; the longbow will only 1-shot archers on a headshot; the warbow will 1-shot archers and man at arms with a headshot, and vanguards too if you’re using bodkin arrows (the warbow will also 1-shot archers on a torso shot with broadheads). Nothing will 1-shot a knight, not even a heavy javelin, crossbow, or warbow bodkin arrow to the head.

Which is completely ridiculous. Either all arrows should 1 hit everything in the head. Or the animation should be changed from the arrow being lodged in the brain, to bouncing off the helmet.

• If you want to talk realism, or at least verisimilitude, there are a number of ways to look at it. For example, even in the real world, people do survive the equivalent of arrows to the head. All sorts of people get stabbed, smashed, and even shot in the head and survive; I certainly don’t envy them, but they survive.

Then there’s the angle that surviving a blow in this game can often mean being left so vulnerable that anything, even a kick will kill you. A man at arms will be left with 4% health after a broadhead headshot from a warbow, for example, and a vanguard with just 10% from a bodkin. Even the almighty knight is left with only 21% health after a warbow bodkin to the face; one stab from a shorty sword or thrusting dagger, or one swing or overhead from a cudgel will finish him.

Then there’s the argument that this game simultaneously aims to be realistic and balanced, and fun. Even if you argue that making all headshots auto-kills would make things more realistic (and I disagree), it would mess with both the balance and fun of the game, which I feel would be a net loss.

• @DrOstler:

@stickytape:

@DrOstler:

Which is completely ridiculous. Either all arrows should 1 hit everything in the head. Or the animation should be changed from the arrow being lodged in the brain, to bouncing off the helmet.

One of my favorite things about this game is when a knight comes running at me with 4 arrows stuck in his toes. On that same topic, do arrows disappear after a player regenerates health? A fun test needs to be commenced to see how many arrows I can get in a single player!