Speed hacking needs to be addressed

• I’m not talking about blatant running around the map in 3 seconds speed hacking, im talking about that guy who sets his speed to 1.2x to give himself a nice (but not obvious) advantage over the server. It’s kind of a problem, I’ve noticed my fair share of knights moving faster/as fast as MaA and they become wrecking machines. But since it’s not blatantly obvious, they won’t get kicked (plus who in their right mind would kick that person from their own team?) There needs to be a server side check or something on everybody’s movement speed, and if the threshold is exceeded per class than that person is kicked.

• 20% is not much - how can you even tell?

If you target an opponent you do run faster.

• @crackawhat:

im talking about that guy who sets his speed to 1.2x to give himself a nice (but not obvious) advantage over the server.

Sets to 1.2x? What do you mean? Set what?

• I’ve seen this… People somehow manage to make their run speed faster but only by a small amount so it’s less obvious… Also somehow set swing speeds faster as well… Someone using a 2h sword with dagger speed. Why can’t people just play the game preoperly??

• I know exactly what you mean. 10-20% may not be easy to tell at a glance, but if you are familiar with a weapon enough the speed will start to feel weird to you. Awhile ago I spotted such a cheater. Of course, I wouldn’t accuse someone based on suspicion alone. I went into Spectator mode and closely watched him for awhile, seeing how he manages to outrun MAA in chase mode (chasing him!), or catch up to sprinting Vanguards on his team who had a large lead, or the fact that his Zweihander attacks faster than a Claymore, and deals damage during windup consistently (no latency issue was present).

If you see anyone like that. Find his Steam ID (Steam top tabs, View -> Players), go into Spectator mode, and record a video of it as evidence.

I do like the idea of a proactive anti-cheat system built into the game. VAC is mostly just a cleaner that doesn’t always work.

• Server side speed checking would solve most of this. The only problem with it is that if a smal server lag spike happens, it might freeze all players due to speedhack detection for a couple of secs. At least i’ve seen it happen in games which implement it.

• There is a mechanic in the game upon where if you’re chasing someone, directly behind them with the cursor over them, you WILL run a bit faster. (or at least there was back in the Alpha, I believe it’s still in, a more knowledgable mod may comment here).

This is to enable you to catch up to fleeing opponents, to address one of the main complaints from AoC (about people sprinting in, hitting then running away).

If someone is running faster at other times though then it may be a concern.

• @BobT36:

(or at least there was back in the Alpha, I believe it’s still in, a more knowledgable mod may comment here).

I am not a mod, but with my level I definitely know - yes, that feature is still in game.

It’s not about the faster running guys. It’s about a lot of guys with speed hacks affecting their weapon speed. It’s always the same.
    First attack, block sound, weapon goes back, you see the weapon again (like 0,25 - 0,5 seconds), hit.
    There is a known guy level ~25 (2 weels ago) with that hack and reporting doens’t help.

• @BobT36:

There is a mechanic in the game upon where if you’re chasing someone, directly behind them with the cursor over them, you WILL run a bit faster. (or at least there was back in the Alpha, I believe it’s still in, a more knowledgable mod may comment here).

This is to enable you to catch up to fleeing opponents, to address one of the main complaints from AoC (about people sprinting in, hitting then running away).

If someone is running faster at other times though then it may be a concern.

We’re talking about when someone uses a small amount of speedhack, enough so that a sprinting Vanguard outruns a sprinting MAA chasing the Vanguard.

@Skalli:

There is a known guy level ~25 (2 weels ago) with that hack and reporting doens’t help.

Reporting helps, but have you done enough to report? Just a name and a claim are not enough. Either you have to bring a mod to examine the cheater in real time, or you have to clearly record a video of his action (i.e. spectator mode).

• here’s the best way to tell if someone is cheating: if his backpedal is fast, then he is cheating as simple as that

• @gregcau:

20% is not much - how can you even tell?

If you target an opponent you do run faster.

20% is huge. To give you a perspective, 20% is the difference between a knight being a slow turtle and running faster than a dagger archer (currently the fastest setup in the game). 20% swing speedup will cause your weapon to hit before the windup animation has even finished. 20% will allow you to block more frequently.

I know all this by playing with a speed hacker regularly.

From a programming prospective, anyone telling you its hard to differentiate a lagging player from a speed hacker is lying out their ass. A speed hacker will be sending packets much faster than a normal player even if that normal player has 500ms ping. Besides, the server has all packet information concerning how long the packet took to arrive, the clientside timestamp, and how many packets are being sent per second. Simply gather basic statistics about a player’s packet rate and ping and speed hackers will be easily identified.

If a player has 60ms ping and is sending packets 20% faster than usual. He is speed hacking. He’s not lagging, he’s not overclocking, he’s not experiencing high packet loss, he’s not on fios… he’s speed hacking.

• @Slight:

From a programming prospective, anyone telling you its hard to differentiate a lagging player from a speed hacker is lying out their ass. A speed hacker will be sending packets much faster than a normal player even if that normal player has 500ms ping. Besides, the server has all packet information concerning how long the packet took to arrive, the clientside timestamp, and how many packets are being sent per second. Simply gather basic statistics about a player’s packet rate and ping and speed hackers will be easily identified.

If a player has 60ms ping and is sending packets 20% faster than usual. He is speed hacking. He’s not lagging, he’s not overclocking, he’s not experiencing high packet loss, he’s not on fios… he’s speed hacking.

Hopefully something can be done server-side soon then. Right now new players can’t even tell when a 10% speedhacker is cheating. I don’t even know if I can tell when someone is only 2% or 5% faster. Speedhackers also tend to use 2-handers a lot, which are slow weapons in the first place so a speed increase is fairly easy to tell. A small speed increase on a MAA or an archer will be something else.

• @GhoXen:

Reporting helps, but have you done enough to report? Just a name and a claim are not enough. Either you have to bring a mod to examine the cheater in real time, or you have to clearly record a video of his action (i.e. spectator mode).

I did. I am not the only one who has reported him more than once and recorded stuff.
    Right now, I am uploading a video (it’s a bit old, maybe a month) to show the common “speed hack”- I will edit this post soon…

Also, I’ve seen one tactic: The speed hacker joins never alone. He has a friend. In the upcoming video he’s called “Kenrel”, he’s not hacking and telling me, that this “random guy” is just lagging. But they are friends in Steam. The “lag guy” is changing his nick often… When you start a votekick, flaming begins and if you’re the only high level it’s hard to proof that the hacker is really one…
    I’ve had only ONE game in over 190 hours where a server admin was online…

EDIT: http://youtu.be/VKry3Oe6ALg
    It needs some more minutes.

EDIT2: If someone of the Chivalry team PMs me I’ll give you the link to a video which is showing the player id/profile (or just the URL to the profile).

• I forgot to mention but others have already stated it; speedhacking increases your weapon speed too, as well as your parry and feint reload time too. It increases the speed of EVERYTHING. That’s why its such a big advantage, its not just moving faster.

• @Skalli:

@GhoXen:

I did. I am not the only one who has reported him more than once and recorded stuff.
    Right now, I am uploading a video (it’s a bit old, maybe a month) to show the common “speed hack”- I will edit this post soon…

Also, I’ve seen one tactic: The speed hacker joins never alone. He has a friend. In the upcoming video he’s called “Kenrel”, he’s not hacking and telling me, that this “random guy” is just lagging. But they are friends in Steam. The “lag guy” is changing his nick often… When you start a votekick, flaming begins and if you’re the only high level it’s hard to proof that the hacker is really one…
    I’ve had only ONE game in over 190 hours where a server admin was online…

EDIT: http://youtu.be/VKry3Oe6ALg
    It needs some more minutes.

EDIT2: If someone of the Chivalry team PMs me I’ll give you the link to a video which is showing the player id/profile (or just the URL to the profile).

You have to give the video and report to the moderators here. Reporting it to Steam/Valve is useless, since they only ban people retrospectively based on VAC detection, not on report. Reporting to server admins are unreliable, since private admins are not obliged to do anything.

Mods are frequently online. Have you joined the official moderator group on Steam (for reference there are currently 4 mods online)? Go send a PM now.

• Okay, I did it. Thanks.

• @GhoXen:

server admins are unreliable, since private admins are not obliged to do anything.

I think this is probably the biggest point brought up so far. There are plenty private servers, so how do you plan to enforce your ‘anti-cheat’ rules on THEIR controlled environments? Hell, I’ve played on private servers where the server admin is the one speed hacking. It is their server, and I suppose they are allowed to do it there - so how do you even report that?

One might say that only the Official servers need to be regulated and kept clean. I can’t imagine everyone only playing on Official servers to experience a fair game, especially with the varied skill levels and all the complaints of unjustified vote kicks and player behavior.

My guess is that servers would see more admins if the community were better. I wouldn’t trust anyone I’ve met really to be an admin on my server while I’m away, due to the rampant rage and immaturity that has flooded this game. A poor community is complaining about itself being poor & cheating… Integrity and respect among the players should be established first and foremost, then we’d probably see much more server admins around to keep their servers to those standards.

• You can’t ask for constant manual anti-cheat mechanisms, some type of automated system needs to be put in place. Aimbots and wallhacks don’t really affect this game, it’s just the speed hacks. That really shouldn’t be difficult to fix.

• Detection depends on how hard it is to do this cheat, is it an exploit or hack, what?

As far as official servers, you will need admins,same for private servers. When I use to admin TF2 servers I would record the cheater, upload on forums, admins can review the files and take a vote if permanent ban or not (he would be temp ban during the session however.)

I have seen people accuse other of speed hacking but so far nothing I can know for sure. There are maybe 2 players I have run up against that I believe to cheat, both were in clans with rank exceeding 40. Might have been another 1 or 2 guys I have seen in big TO servers, both were knights and use 2hander sword, whatever the last one is called and it seemed like their attacks were as fast as 1hander.

Anyway, be nice to first establish how they do the cheat and second, how to detect it easy. In TF2 for instance it was easy, would take me just 30 sec to see the signs and know without a doubt.

So again, how do they do it, what is the easiest way to check and what do I check for.

PS: VAC does work, so always report, just know you wont see the result right away, that is how VAC is suppose to work in order to keep cheaters not knowing for sure what got them caught.

• There is a mod steam community page. Join it and if you see a hacker, contact one of them and they will join the server and spectate. Search for the group “chivmod” on steam community.