My 2 hour gameplay frustrations + Suggestions

• Combat flow: Sadly for a game all about combat, the flow between actions are comparible to trying to fight with concreate ankle braclets. I’m trying to put it as nicely as I can. For example, attempting to switch to another weapon should not be interupted by a glancing blow, rather delayed to after the player has recovered. As is, hope is all lost if you plan on doing something after the weapon switch. That is if you are able to switch. I can understand some peasent becoming dazed after a minor simple hit, but as the player has gone to “Training”, I would hope they would be able to remember that one thing, that thier fighter’s instint told them to do. So to be blunt, this game requires action queueing. If you want to add interupt “chances” to the large 2-handed weapons, go for it. The only thing close to an action queue is the LMB attack combo. No matter the class, a fighter will always plan their next move. Whether it be the strong Knight or the light footed man-at-arms. (Dodge, THEN STRIKE) The one class that is serverly crippled by this is the Archer. They are unable to block nor kick, when they have their bow equipped. Either give them a kick with a long cooldown, or allow them to quickly change to their side arm. It does not take very long to pull out a dagger. This effect could also be a class benifit.

Sprinting trastition: The overall pace of the game is great. The only thing interupting this pace is the flow/trasition between actions. Most were mentioned above, but the transition between strinting and any other action is flat out broken. The only exception is the vangaurds charging attack. I’ll keep this short. When a player requests an action, such as attack, block or what not, cancel the sprint, THEN perform the action. Again, having to press the same action over and over again, is the most frustrating thing in any game. Frustrated players are not happy players.

Now on to more specific topics:
    On death camera: Transition from pov death animation to a top down, viewing you death location. The snap between the dead state and free cam is, simply put, jarry. All it would take is attach a null that the camera can focus on. Having the camera and a focus point, allows simple transitions. Example, lift the camera and slide the focus (null) to the player’s corpse. I’m sure you can figure out the rest. You did bring Chivalry this far.

Death Match Completion: Simply allow the camera to freely move. Stay focused on the winning player, they deserve it, but allow players to freely rotate it around. It kinda defeats the vitory pose, when veiwed directly behind someone else.

That’s it!
    Everything else I found was done well or I simply have not had enough time to explore. The maps are good/great and, from what little time I played, each class felt unique and had a purpose. That’s something that can’t been seen through a video. Before I can comment on the overall balance of each class and weapon, I’ll have to play a lot more. Well done.

• What your trying to do is change gameplay aspects that define the game. Changing weapons is one of those things that is already quite fast compared to realism. So interrupting balances that. Why I may not take a long time to pull out a dagger it does take a while to put away your bow. Weapon change time takes literally a second anyway.

I agree that archers should at least be able to kick or bow bash. Gives them a fighting chance in melee.

I’ve been playing the beta of the content pack and everything is a lot smoother and more optimised and I get a higher framerate. So 64 sized servers will be less laggy.

Camera movements are not a big issue really. Its easy to look a your body just mov the mouse down. If you have complaints with that you must be really lazy. They did say they are improving the spectator mode as well.

• Don’t get me wrong, I really do not have a problem with the speed of weapon changing. Mostly just providing an alternative to a kick with the bow, to help give the archer that fighting chance.

I also have no issue with the amount of lag. I’m actually quite surprised on how well everyone’s connection is.

I do enjoy the freecam mode. I’m just suggesting a transition between being looking at the dirt (dead) and jumping to head level, looking straight. This of course only happens when a player dies.

The only problems I had was I found trying to chain actions. You know, to keep the gameplay fast paced. As I tried to mention above, there is “no” transistion between sprinting and drawing a bow. Even now (6 hours in), I still have troubles. It is as if I need to click 3-5 times.

The rest were nothing more than suggestions, based on my personal frustrations. Hopeing to help minimize frustration for other new players. I know I’ll get use to it with practice. However, experiencing death after death, because of failed actions, due to commands being blocked, gets very frustrating, very fast. I always find the first few hours, of any game, very important. As that is usually when a player decides how long they want to continue playing.

I know I’m personally going to continue playing, because overall it is still a great game. But the only reason I only have 6 hours in and not 12, is I hesitated to start playing again and started playing an old game instead.

It would have helped to have mentioned, in the training, that archers are unable to kick, with a bow equiped. It is that unique ‘feature’ of the bow. It is different from all other weapons.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I did try to get into the beta.

• I agree archers should kick. Not sure about the fast pull of the dagger, might make them too dangerous.

Vanguards charge is extremely frustrating - I never want to charge but I do want to sprint with my weapon. So having to stop for a second and then start up again breaks the flow.

I dont care about the death camera I am too busy bashing my head against the wall.

I would like to be able to switch between players to follow while dead.

• I disagree with allowing archers to kick. They already have a buttload of chances to kill you before you get to them. Why give them another mechanic for avoiding death, especially at close range. Any archer worth anything can pull of a kill shot at the last second at close range. Adding a kick gives them another get out of jail free card for missing their last ditch attempt at killing you. Archers are suppose to dominate at range and behind protection, when this protection breaks down they should not be able to avoid death easily or get another chance when they miss a shot at less than 10 meters.

As for attack queing, I disagree with it as well. It would take away the real-time feel of the combat system. Right now you need to respond in real-time to attacks, if you get stunned or interrupted you need to redo your attack. Feels right to me.

• @tlangas:

Combat flow: Sadly for a game all about combat, the flow between actions are comparible to trying to fight with concreate ankle braclets. I’m trying to put it as nicely as I can. For example, attempting to switch to another weapon should not be interupted by a glancing blow, rather delayed to after the player has recovered. As is, hope is all lost if you plan on doing something after the weapon switch. That is if you are able to switch. I can understand some peasent becoming dazed after a minor simple hit, but as the player has gone to “Training”, I would hope they would be able to remember that one thing, that thier fighter’s instint told them to do. So to be blunt, this game requires action queueing. If you want to add interupt “chances” to the large 2-handed weapons, go for it. The only thing close to an action queue is the LMB attack combo. No matter the class, a fighter will always plan their next move. Whether it be the strong Knight or the light footed man-at-arms. (Dodge, THEN STRIKE) The one class that is serverly crippled by this is the Archer. They are unable to block nor kick, when they have their bow equipped. Either give them a kick with a long cooldown, or allow them to quickly change to their side arm. It does not take very long to pull out a dagger. This effect could also be a class benifit.

The problem with that is maybe after being hit, which I may not have expected, I no longer want to switch my weapon and want to react by doing something else to save my life…. but instead now I’m stuck waiting for my character to do something I no longer want it to do, which can leave me open for a kill blow.

I’m all for options, so if the above could be brought into the game, but checked off in the options for player who don’t want it / want it, then all the better.

Regarding the Archer and being able to kick or club with their bow/crossbow, I’m all for that.

Sprinting trastition: The overall pace of the game is great. The only thing interupting this pace is the flow/trasition between actions. Most were mentioned above, but the transition between strinting and any other action is flat out broken. The only exception is the vangaurds charging attack. I’ll keep this short. When a player requests an action, such as attack, block or what not, cancel the sprint, THEN perform the action. Again, having to press the same action over and over again, is the most frustrating thing in any game. Frustrated players are not happy players.

Can’t say I have had this problem… I sprint a lot, and then perform my attack… everything seems to flow nicely for me. I can switch my weapons while sprinting as well… then again, your issue could be a keyboard thing.

I don’t use the WASD setup, but the Arrow Keys and surrounding keys… some/most keyboards have issues with certain keys pressed at the same time, thus one cancels out the other.

I remember this from a few years back when I used to try and duck and move based on a certain key combination setup I used… I could move or I could duck, but I couldn’t do both at the same time until I rebound my keys to something else.

Though I do notice sometimes when I want to run, I have to hit the key a couple of times before I start to run (especially in combat)… being able to hold the run key down and let my character start to run the first chance available would be great.

Now on to more specific topics:
    On death camera: Transition from pov death animation to a top down, viewing you death location. The snap between the dead state and free cam is, simply put, jarry. All it would take is attach a null that the camera can focus on. Having the camera and a focus point, allows simple transitions. Example, lift the camera and slide the focus (null) to the player’s corpse. I’m sure you can figure out the rest. You did bring Chivalry this far.

Sounds more like nit picking of something trivial than a real frustration. Though what you suggest sounds nice and I wouldn’t mind it, it’s not at the top of my list…… but I imagine something like this could be done later down the road via a patch.

Death Match Completion: Simply allow the camera to freely move. Stay focused on the winning player, they deserve it, but allow players to freely rotate it around. It kinda defeats the vitory pose, when veiwed directly behind someone else.

Again, pretty trivial, but wouldn’t hurt to have either.

@gregcau:

I would like to be able to switch between players to follow while dead.

As would I.

• @ATF_E1:

I disagree with allowing archers to kick. They already have a buttload of chances to kill you before you get to them. Why give them another mechanic for avoiding death, especially at close range. Any archer worth anything can pull of a kill shot at the last second at close range. Adding a kick gives them another get out of jail free card for missing their last ditch attempt at killing you. Archers are suppose to dominate at range and behind protection, when this protection breaks down they should not be able to avoid death easily or get anotherk chance when they miss a shot at less than 10 meters.

As for attack queing, I disagree with it as well. It would take away the real-time feel of the combat system. Right now you need to respond in real-time to attacks, if you get stunned or interrupted you need to redo your attack. Feels right to me.

Last I checked most weapons had more range than a kick. And an archer only takes two hits to kill wih most weapons. Sometimes one hit kills them with a few weapons.

I find it a lot harder aiming at a target weaving towards me than a target walking to the fight and a target walking towards you with a sheild and your screwed and forced to pull out your secondary or run. Most people miss even the good archers miss more as a closer target moves faster reletive to the archer and often tries to dodge. A kick or bow bash means that it will be an honourable fight. Still the archer has the lowest odds. But it lets them pull out their toothpick to defend themselves. They are like a slow weak MMA in melee.

More satisfaction when you kill them. But I know the secret of being good in melee as an archer. It at least lets you defeat idiots.