[Balance] running speed

• Hi, I’ve been playing CMW now for few days, and one thing that really annoys me is the running speed. I’m playing different classes all time, but I like archery a lot. Why is there no difference between running speed of a knight and an archer ? How comes that the most agile and fast class, which is archer, can’t outrun a knight in heavy armor ? I think it would make fights more interesting and enforce change of tactics if classes had different running speeds, i.e. archer would be the fastest, but after running it’s aiming stability is crap, knight would be slow, but could gain speed in time, i.e. 10 - 20 seconds, and would be able to charge better, loosing stamina in the effect, middle classes would be somewhat… in the middle.

• The mechanic here is called Chase mode. Archers have the fastest movement speed and knights have the slowest. That is the case by default. However if you move your cross hair over an enemy at reasonably close range (turns red), you will enter chase mode. You will gain speed so that eventually you will catch up.

In other words, unless you have a few corners to run around, a few obstacles to jump over or allies to distract an enemy, you will NEVER get away from someone who is chasing you, regardless of class. This is a necessary mechanic because otherwise archers can simply kite knights, for example.

• So why archers always die from one slash of the enemy sword, and can’t really kill anybody with one themselves ? This is unbalanced. Everybody kills archers, just look on servers. They usually have few lucky strikes at the skull, but otherwise they get raped big time.

• @GhoXen:

archers can simply kite knights, for example.

That’s exactly how it should be, but their ability to strike after such outrun should be impaired. That’s so much closer to reality.

• The mechanic is good. You can’t kite much, but fights would never end if people had the ability to keep running forever

• While archers in many ways are over-powered, I must admit, archers should be able to run a bit faster than they do now.

• @51n15tar:

So why archers always die from one slash of the enemy sword, and can’t really kill anybody with one themselves ? This is unbalanced. Everybody kills archers, just look on servers. They usually have few lucky strikes at the skull, but otherwise they get raped big time.

Sadly, this is the case. Even the good ones perform poorly, because the slow velocity of arrows allows for enemies to easily dodge them. Plus, they move so much anyway it is really hard to lead, since by the time you’ve led one way they’ve dodged another. Arrows need to travel faster…

On the topic at hand, it seems to me that the lighter classes really don’t move much faster (if at all) than the knight. I feel the Man-of-War and the Archer both should be able to get in and get out much more rapidly. After all, why play a Man of War who can get chased down by a Knight if he is supposed to be able to get away from Knights to live another day? It doesn’t make any sense.

• @Tankcommander:

@51n15tar:

So why archers always die from one slash of the enemy sword, and can’t really kill anybody with one themselves ? This is unbalanced. Everybody kills archers, just look on servers. They usually have few lucky strikes at the skull, but otherwise they get raped big time.

Sadly, this is the case. Even the good ones perform poorly, because the slow velocity of arrows allows for enemies to easily dodge them. Plus, they move so much anyway it is really hard to lead, since by the time you’ve led one way they’ve dodged another. Arrows need to travel faster…

On the topic at hand, it seems to me that the lighter classes really don’t move much faster (if at all) than the knight. I feel the Man-of-War and the Archer both should be able to get in and get out much more rapidly. After all, why play a Man of War who can get chased down by a Knight if he is supposed to be able to get away from Knights to live another day? It doesn’t make any sense.

If I can top the scoreboard as archer i can safely say that archers don’t suck. In melee as an archer be really aggressive,no one expects that and they start to swing, that’s when you stab and start your onslaught of strikes. Get in nice and close.

Archers also have a 50% backstab bonus. Good for taking out knights and vanguards as you can usually get two good stabs in before they turn around.

• As GhoXen mentioned thats probally the chase mode you experienced.
    If a knight is not right behind you in chase mode you are faster then a knight.

Also I would like to slip in my opninon and say that chasing speeds are fine as they are.
    Just had a match of LTS where I was chasing a archer around the field on the map moor for allmost a full minute. (I play the knight class)
    Changing chase speed and making them outrun me while Im a few inches away from them would create ridiclous situations.

Im okay with archers from a distance being faster…but making them impossible to catch is silly and would make them overpowered (You know what I mean with overpowered once you fought a GOOD archer).

A good archer allmost never misses a shot ,even if you have your shield up (Shoot at feet)
    And is even good in melee with his butter knife if you finally catch up with him.

• @lemonater47:

@Tankcommander:

@51n15tar:

If I can top the scoreboard as archer i can safely say that archers don’t suck. In melee as an archer be really aggressive,no one expects that and they start to swing, that’s when you stab and start your onslaught of strikes. Get in nice and close.

Archers also have a 50% backstab bonus. Good for taking out knights and vanguards as you can usually get two good stabs in before they turn around.

Huh, when a knight comes at me with a sheild I aim at their head. It just pops above the sheild. I also change to my trusty short sword early and charge at them, I always get the hit as they do something stupid like trying to swing. They are too confident.

Or I challenge them to a fist fight. They usually oblige.

As an archer I only hit about half my shots. And I’m really bad at aimng javs.

• In the alpha/beta, all classes moved at the same speed. It was changed to make Knights 10% slower and VGs 5% slower. I think that’s just fine. An experienced player definitely feels the weight of a Knight vs. a MaA. Just look at TF2 - that’s a far more fast paced game than this but small speed differences on classes are huge. A medic is only 7% faster than a Pyro but a smart medic can kite Pyros all day with that bonus. The biggest difference between the lighter and heavier classes is mobility, not forward speed. Man-at-Arms can side strafe and back pedal much faster than a Knight can, about an 18% difference; and about 10% faster than a VG.

• Today, I was playing as an archer again, and I had about 1600 damage dealt, and only 6 kills, and got killed 12 times, with 1800 damage taken, how ridiculously UP is that ?
    In most cases, if you archer won’t hit the skull, there will be no kill, and somebody else will take credit.
    Also, I noticed that everybody is now chasing archers first, and I die every single time from one slash, when they get close, as they are simply faster.
    I noticed also, that the game has much deeper issues though, hit box, or hit detection accuracy is absolutely childish, as when I was playing vanguard with a long axe, One slash would have killed anybody, but not in this game, same on spear, direct skull piercing doesn’t get registered most of the time, and I end up dead, as being too close after initial attack. Seems like you can get killed with a handle of the weapon easier than with the blade.

• Yet another day, and misery of archers. Everybody is running in zigzac now, so it’s not possible to hit them, especially if they have much higher ping than me. They keep on jumping from place to place, and server doesn’t register any hits. I even noticed that arrows sometimes pass through the player with no hit, same for other weapons. Playing a knight, I swung with a long sword, which passed right through Vangs back, with no effect, his hit though, insta-killed me, right after.
    Also, why there are no pings below 50ms ? Even if I join server with 35ms, all players are 50-200ms. When I’m playing Arma for example with my friends, we all have below 15ms pings, and here, all of it is above 100.

All in all, this indie is not playable for me and my friends at this stage, not until all of it is fixed.

• the biggest problem i see is that people can zig zag unrealistically which makes archers have to guess where to shoot and if your guess is wrong then thats too bad so i think if u turn your character while sprinting at too fast of a pace your char should slow down giving the archer a chance to shoot

• @51n15tar:

Today, I was playing as an archer again, and I had about 1600 damage dealt, and only 6 kills, and got killed 12 times, with 1800 damage taken, how ridiculously UP is that ?
    In most cases, if you archer won’t hit the skull, there will be no kill, and somebody else will take credit.

LTS or FFA archers are limited for sure.

Team Objective though they come into their own because you can pepper the enemy with arrows and hide behind your own team. I don’t lead the board but I am in a solid middle of it.

The warbow hits hard, big difference from the longbow.

• it is kinda hard to me get kills with bows and crossbows, finished the spears, 2 shots to kill most of the time but like 5 or 6 stabs to kill a knight.

• @soni2295:

it is kinda hard to me get kills with bows and crossbows, finished the spears, 2 shots to kill most of the time but like 5 or 6 stabs to kill a knight.

Cherry pick TO maps, dark forest defending the royal family, firing at people running across the log is a slaughterfest for bows.