Idea to help with game growth/exposure

• TL;DR at bottom.

I’m surprised TB don’t have a “buy this game and get an exclusive TF2 item” deal worked out with Valve, such as they’ve done with plenty of other games released on Steam (even if they weren’t made by Valve).

Reasons why I think it would help/be good:

1. TF2 has a playerbase that 1) loves their items 2) is pretty large 3) continues to bring in new players (being F2P) and 4) would already be familiar with the game modes of Chivalry (FFA being the only exception, with no real TF2 equivalent, though it’s easy enough to figure out).

2. From personal experience, TF2 has an awesome community compared to other FPS’s; bringing players from it into the Chivalry fold would be a benefit, not a detriment.

3. Chivalry is familiar enough (game mode-wise) for TF2 players to jump into, but different enough (gameplay-wise) that Valve shouldn’t need to worry about it stealing it’s playerbase with a collaborative deal; I’ve played TF2 since 2007, but find myself going back to it when I get burnt out on other games.

4. Since Valve gets a cut of every game they sell on Steam, it makes sense for them to want Chivalry to become more successful considering it’s already on an upward trend, having earned Indie GOTY and displaying a growing community (observed from Steam graphs; most games decline in population during the first few months after they’re released).

5. This isn’t quite a reason as those mentioned above, but TB (or modder fans) could design cosmetic (so as not to mess with game balance) changes for weapons in Chivalry, exclusive to (non-F2P) TF2 players, to make the deal that much sweeter for Valve. Yes, TF2 has absurd stuff like rocket reflecting flamethrowers, invisibility watches, and wrenches that let you teleport, but it also has plenty of weapons that look like they could belong in the world of Chivalry:

a. http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Axtinguisher for a Knight axe?
    b. http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Boston_Basher for a MAA club?
    c. http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Horse … _Headtaker (with an extended pole part) for a Vanguard halberd?
    d. http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Huntsman for an Archer bow?
    e. http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Holy_Mackarel for a MAA knife (ok, mainly joking, but it would pay tribute to TF2’s Scout and the “cut down a tree with a herring” scene from Monty Python’s Holy Grail, a movie that Chivalry already references somewhat with it’s over-the-top violence and one of its achievements).

If TB/the community thinks it’s a waste of time for TB to design cosmetic weapon changes, I’m sure there are some Chivalry fans who are modders and/or TF2 fans who would love and be honored to do so. And, like the Veteran helmets, the cosmetic weapons should be selectable.

TL;DR Coordinate a deal with Valve to offer exclusive (cosmetic) TF2 items to players who buy Chivalry, in order to draw upon the large playerbase of TF2 who are already familiar with a class and objective based competitive multiplayer game. Possibly incorporate exclusive (cosmetic) weapons in Chivalry for (non-F2P) TF2 players, so as to likewise help Valve with sales of their game.

• The only thing I have against this, is that I already bought the game, meaning I would miss out.

• @KingArthur:

The only thing I have against this, is that I already bought the game, meaning I would miss out.

If you already bought the game, you’d still get the items.

Or are you saying you have a non-Steam copy?

• @My:

@KingArthur:

The only thing I have against this, is that I already bought the game, meaning I would miss out.

If you already bought the game, you’d still get the items.

Or are you saying you have a non-Steam copy?

No, I have a Steam version. I didn’t realise that you still got items from games you already bought.

• @KingArthur:

No, I have a Steam version. I didn’t realise that you still got items from games you already bought.

Since all of the “buy this game, get TF2 stuff!” games that I know of had those deals when they were pre-ordered, it’d be moot for a Chivalry deal to work in the same fashion, since it’s obviously already out.

Rather, they could make it so Steam checks if you have one of the games, and dumps the new items in your backpack (in the case of TF2) or gives permissions to change weapons cosmetically (in the case of Chivalry) for the other game.

• Sounds like a pretty good idea. I’m very sure some TF2 fanatics will buy it just for the items, but hell, the developers still get the money so its a win-win situation.

• TF2 has its own Medieval Mode which is sorely in need of more item variety. Chivalry could be a partner in a whole new Medieval Update.

• @SlyGoat:

TF2 has its own Medieval Mode which is sorely in need of more item variety. Chivalry could be a partner in a whole new Medieval Update.

Ugh… until Chivalry came along, TF2’s medieval mode was a big factor in convincing me that melee fps games don’t work.

• I agree with OP. They can also transition to a F2P model like TF did on June 23, 2011. TF2 used to be like Chivalry and you had to pay to buy the game. But now it is free to play and has microtransaction for cosmetic items.

I can see Chivalry having cosmetic items like skins for weapons, armor, helmet, etc. I for one would spend hundred of dollars on skins.

Look at League of Legends, not knowingly I spent over $500 on champion skins alone…

The free to play model sure yields a higher income, and it also creates a playerbase for the paying customers.

For example, player A pays $20-$100 for skins while player B and player C doesn’t spend a dime. But you need players for player A to play with or he/she would be bored.

F2P games are the motto these days and all the successful companies are doing it.

As for players who purchased Chivalry the game they can have like a “title” or special skin. The game will remain purchasable. Like TF2, if you purchase the game you get extra inventory slots.

Follow TF2’s marketin schema and the game will grow big, because the game is awesome, just needs publicity.

• @seriously:

I agree with OP. They can also transition to a F2P model like TF did on June 23, 2011. TF2 used to be like Chivalry and you had to pay to buy the game. But now it is free to play and has microtransaction for cosmetic items.

I can see Chivalry having cosmetic items like skins for weapons, armor, helmet, etc. I for one would spend hundred of dollars on skins.

Look at League of Legends, not knowingly I spent over $500 on champion skins alone…

The free to play model sure yields a higher income, and it also creates a playerbase for the paying customers.

For example, player A pays $20-$100 for skins while player B and player C doesn’t spend a dime. But you need players for player A to play with or he/she would be bored.

F2P games are the motto these days and all the successful companies are doing it.

As for players who purchased Chivalry the game they can have like a “title” or special skin. The game will remain purchasable. Like TF2, if you purchase the game you get extra inventory slots.

Follow TF2’s marketin schema and the game will grow big, because the game is awesome, just needs publicity.

F***. NO. I do NOT want another influx of sh***y people! Making this game F2P would be one of the WORST DECISIONS POSSIBLE. Also, can you imagine how long loading times would be with every person in a 32-man server wearing different armor??

• In recent years, only games that make it to the competitve stage makes it big.

Look at LoL, SC2, Dota 2, Halo 4, CS series, etc.

What do they have in common? eSport
    Spectator modes - fun to watch
    Lot of team play and competition with prizes attract many many players.

• @Hadron:

F***. NO. I do NOT want another influx of sh***y people! Making this game F2P would be one of the WORST DECISIONS POSSIBLE.

+1
    @Hadron:

Hmmm….is there a mistake (more like 50$) or what?

and i don’t want a chivalry “lol i trade my vintage helmet for two claymore skins”

• @Karam:

@Hadron:

F***. NO. I do NOT want another influx of sh***y people! Making this game F2P would be one of the WORST DECISIONS POSSIBLE.

+1
    @Hadron K:

Hmmm….is there a mistake (more like 50$) or what?

and i don’t want a chivalry “lol i trade my vintage helmet for two claymore skins”

Um, well, I didn’t actually say that about LoL, it was a quote from the other guy.

• I still like the idea of cosmetic weapon changes, but only if they take the TF2 style and convert to Chivalry style. And since I boughtt both games, I’d get both sets of things, lol… I like the idea, just I don’t like the idea of it going overboard. So a cautious thumbs-up from me.