Men-at-arms vs Vanguard question

• I’m kind of new to this game (rank 8) and I’ve noticed a few things that seem off to me.
    Sometimes I will bash them with my shield and immediately go for an overhead, but they would already recover and hit me with an attack first (usually killing me).

Aren’t MAA supposed to be quicker? And shouldn’t my shield bash add to his recover and attack time?

Like I said, I’m new and still figuring this game out. Am I missing something?

• I’d recommend doing a combo. If you land a hit(with a weapon), ether do a quick combo or a delayed combo. Generally if you are right on an opponent and do a hit, their initial reaction is to due a block to stop your next attack. So often you can land two hits if you play with your opponent’s mind. And as far as recovering, a shield bash or kick will not allow you to get a free follow up hit, so use it wisely.

• Alright, well I’m glad I know it doesn’t give you a free hit but shouldn’t I still be able to hit him first after a bash (if we both attack), or does a bash give me a huge disadvantage?

• As a knight player I might not be able to give you the best advice but what I have noticed from Maa enemies is the following:

**1.**Shield bash/kick is not so effective because I can ussualy block immediatly after it.

**2.**MaA ussualy jump in and out of weapon range with double tap when I fight them THIS IS THERE MAIN ADVANTAGE….Get out of range when you feel its getting to dangerous…When I read your post I have feeling your’e to much in the face of the other guy. (Correct me if Im wrong Im only assuming)

**3.**Jumping in attack range after you know the enemy is going to miss a swing is a good tactic…Because at that moment there defence is wide open.

4. As ChuckingIt said….use feints…a MaA in your face with a fast weapon using feints can really throw someone off balance and can give you the chance to land some hits.

• thanks for the advice, but I knew that stuff. What I’m confused about is why a VG is able to hit me first after a bash. Even if we attack at the same time I should be able to hit them first.

• @sugarshock:

thanks for the advice, but I knew that stuff. What I’m confused about is why a VG is able to hit me first after a bash. Even if we attack at the same time I should be able to hit them first.

It may be timing, you two should have about the same time to make a decision on attacking or blocking.

• @sugarshock:

thanks for the advice, but I knew that stuff. What I’m confused about is why a VG is able to hit me first after a bash. Even if we attack at the same time I should be able to hit them first.

1.What weapon were you using and what weapon was he using? (Maybe he was using a faster weapon)

2.There are dirty tricks for making hits go faster like the “overhead lookdown hit”
    After the Vanguard (for example with his halberd) looks straight down after he did a overhead the weapon will hit his opponent alot faster.

3.Maybe he did a stab.
    Stabs are faster then other attacks.
    Perhaps he did a stab with a weapon that was faster then yours (I guess kind of the same as point 1)

• Shield bash/kick are weird and sometimes won’t stun properly. I’m not sure if it’s tied to the same things causing flinch to seem inconsistent or not.

• I’ve never seen a kick or shield bash not stun so far. They can 80% of the time parry right after however, the trick is to kick them at an angle then circle around their backside and close in for your attack. If you use a very fast weapon such as the holy water sprinkler, you can catch some people with your attack right after a kick under some circumstances.

• Previous posters made some good points. I’ll add that kicks only seem to be useful against the heavier shields and extremely slowly weapons, such as the maul. Everything else seems to recover too quickly to matter.

The disadvantage of kicking is that it locks you into a somewhat long and immobile animation. It also pushes the target away from you, which is exactly the opposite of what you want to happen as an MAA.

I recommend using dodge, jumping overheads, and feint combos instead. Against vanguards with polearms, getting close and slashing while sidestepping around the flinched target works just fine.