Best setup for each class?

• Hello fellow players, I am new to the game and I was wondering what the pros are running in terms of setups. In the competitive scene what are some known setups for each class?

Man At Arms - ?

Knight - ?

Archer - ?

Vanguard - ?

Thank you in advance!

• Dont really know about the other classe but I can tell you what my default loadout is with a knight.

**(Primary)Longsword:**This is my main weapon , it has the most range for Knight and has a good damage/speed.

(Secondary)Holy Water Sprinkler: If I need the fastest weapon (I think its the fastest weapon but not sure) to fight someone (I sometimes , but rarely use it to fight against a MaA/Archer in a duel)

(Ammo/Shield) Kite Shield: To protect against arrows and only against arrows.
    Blocking against melee attacks with the shield sucks in my opininon (attacks go right through them sometimes)
    I prefer the Kiteshield over the Towershield because it offers allmost or perhaps the same protection against arrows and you can attleast see where the hell you’re going (if thirdperson is not enabled)

• Fists!

• @Frettchen7:

Fists!

you use the fists I use the swords, lets duel!

• There is arguably no best setup, but generally what you’ll see high level players use the most is the Dane Axe on MaA, Sword of War on Knight, Warbow on Archer and Halberd on Vanguard.

• @SlyGoat:

There is arguably no best setup, but generally what you’ll see high level players use the most is the Dane Axe on MaA, Sword of War on Knight, Warbow on Archer and Halberd on Vanguard.

Thank you for your prompt response.

What weapons work well with shields?

I like using shields because it can block archer shots.

• I emphasize shields for partial immunity to archers, throwing weapons, and feints. Secondary weapons are usually not important. Throwing knives are preferred over throwing axes, lighter shields preferred over heavy ones. Weapons that deal blunt or half-blunt damage preferred.

Man At Arms
    Broadsword + Buckler. All around, good reach, dueling, team objective. Focus on thrusting.
    Hatchet + Buckler. Fast, kills knights, FFA. Focus on overheads.

Knight
    Warhammer + Kite Shield. Extreme damage, kills all classes, FFA. Used for slash spamming.

Archer
    Longbow Bodkin + Cudgel. All around, cudgel is fast and does surprising damage. Don’t hesitate to switch to cudgel, use overheads.

Vanguard
    Halberd + Throwing Knives. Reach, kills all classes, all 3 swings are superb especially thrust. Throwing knives suppress archers, which are your main counter.

• Any weapon works well with a shield, really. Again as a Knight the Sword of War is probably the most popular when paired with a shield. I personally like mace+shield as a Man-at-Arms and rely more on dodging with the longer reaching weapons like Dane Axe, Morning Star and Broadsword, but if you don’t use throwing weapons much anyway there’s no reason not to use a shield with any of those as well.

• @FrostFire626:

I emphasize shields for partial immunity to archers, throwing weapons, and feints. Secondary weapons are usually not important. Throwing knives are preferred over throwing axes, lighter shields preferred over heavy ones.

Man At Arms
    Broadsword + Buckler. All around, good reach, dueling, team objective. Focus on thrusting.
    Hatchet + Buckler. Fast, kills knights, FFA. Focus on overheads.

Knight
    Warhammer + Kite Shield. Extreme damage, kills all classes, FFA. Used for slash spamming.

Archer
    Longbow Bodkin + Cudgel. All around, cudgel is fast and does surprising damage. Don’t hesitate to switch to cudgel, use overheads.

Vanguard
    Halberd + Throwing Knives. Reach, damage, all 3 swings are superb especially thrust. Throwing knives suppress archers, which are your main counter.

Thank you for spending the time to reply to my question. I appreciate the description and style each weapon you mentioned. They make alot of sense and I will sure try those tips you suggested. Kudos!

• @SlyGoat:

Any weapon works well with a shield, really. Again as a Knight the Sword of War is probably the most popular when paired with a shield. I personally like mace+shield as a Man-at-Arms and rely more on dodging with the longer reaching weapons like Dane Axe, Morning Star and Broadsword, but if you don’t use throwing weapons much anyway there’s no reason not to use a shield with any of those as well.

How do you use Sword of War with a shield? I thought Sword of War was a 2h weapon? I heard that you can pair a 2h weapon with a shield, but how? Sorry, I am a new player! Loving the game alot!

• @seriously:

@SlyGoat:

Any weapon works well with a shield, really. Again as a Knight the Sword of War is probably the most popular when paired with a shield. I personally like mace+shield as a Man-at-Arms and rely more on dodging with the longer reaching weapons like Dane Axe, Morning Star and Broadsword, but if you don’t use throwing weapons much anyway there’s no reason not to use a shield with any of those as well.

How do you use Sword of War with a shield? I thought Sword of War was a 2h weapon? I heard that you can pair a 2h weapon with a shield, but how? Sorry, I am a new player! Loving the game alot!

When you have your 2h sword out as a knight. Press 1 again. So to go from any weapon to 2h sword+shield. It’s generally press “1” twice.

• Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to answering my questions! It really helps me out because I am a new player trying to explore what’s good.

I always played in 3rd person, but someone told me if I was ever to play competitively that it is only 1st person view only. If this is the case, Having a shield, really blocks my sight. And I don’t really like that.

What classes are good with 2h weapons? I take a Knight would be good?

Is Sword of War good to be used as a 2h?

What 2H weapon setup do competitive players/high level player use?

• I also joined the MOD’s steam group, it’s awesome! Everyone should join that!

• @seriously:

I also joined the MOD’s steam group, it’s awesome! Everyone should join that!

Nice plug!

And about the 2 hand question. I’d recommend taking some time to just unlock all the weapons for the classes you enjoy. As you begin to do this you will learn what kind of style you prefer. For example, the sword of war is a great poking weapon, while the Falchion(1 hand sword) is great for overheads and slash combos. I prefer stabbing weapons myself which is why I duel with the 2h Sword of War, and for my clan run a Brandi Stock as a Vanguard. Unlock weapons, and try em all out. See whats your style. Also Sword of War is great 1h or 2h.

• As an archer, my combination is:

Warbow, Saber and bodkin arrows.

Saber is fast, has good reach and can stun lock if you use it correctly.

• I’d hardly call myself a “pro”, but my favourite setup is a Vanguard with a claymore and short sword. The short sword is useful when you need a quick weapon to face a skilled MaA or archer, and I love the claymore, it just seems to be the weapon I am best at using. It is quite quick and powerful, the zweihander is devastating but so slow, the greatsword is sort of a happy medium I guess but I prefer the claymore. Especially in a one on one duel, it can be deadly, more so if you are facing an enemy who may be underestimating your speed while wielding a heavy, slow weapon. I love to follow parries and feints with quick jabs at the face.

I also take the throwing knives. The axes are more powerful but you get double the amount of knives which can come in very handy in a tight spot.

You mentioned shields, I love using the warhammer with one. Very fast and powerful, but very short reach so it needs some practice to be able to use it effectively, especially against an opponent who has a great length advantage over you. I like the mace too.

• cool, any people have any other suggestions on which setups they feel are best for each class?

• For Knight I fall into the Sword (pri), Mace(sec), Shield Camp. Yes, some of the other primaries do more damage. However, this set-up is so flexible. The sword has reach and can effectively stab, slash, and overhead. If you need blunt damage you swap to your mace (I like the flanged mace.) I lean towards flanged mace and sword of war.

• Halberd - Cudgel - Throwing axes for Vanguard.

Heavy Crossbow - Cudgel for Archer, effective or not.

• I play MAA, and I’ve used a variety of weapons in my career, but lately I lean towards the broadsword or falchion as my primary, cudgel or thrusting dagger as my secondary, and the kite shield or throwing knives.

Most often I’ll have the falchion for the extra damage to knights and vanguards, the thrusting dagger for sneaking up on and finishing off a wounded enemy who is facing off with an ally while minimizing the risk of hitting my ally in the process, and throwing knives for a little range.

As an archer I like the warbow + broadhead arrows (they’ll drop an enemy archer in one torso shot) and the cudgel. I <3 the cudgel.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.