I can't use shields

• Can anyone give me some tips as to how to block using a shield vs no shield?

I’m an OK player (usually around 1:1 KD) but just cannot seem to get the hang of using a kite shield. Attacks keep going through my blocks. Don’t have an issue blocking with sword so I end up playing shield capable classes without a shield (like knight or MAA). Is blocking with a shield different or is my aim being thrown off by the obstructed visibility, etc.?

Any tips is much appreciated

• Shields are a little less forgiving than just parrying, which is why I prefer to go without unless I know I’m going to be facing down a lot of archers (or even just one really good one).

For starters, shields don’t come up as quickly as a parry does, which means you have to respond a little more quickly to your opponent’s attacks. Also, you have to be very careful about facing the tip of your opponent’s weapon, moreso then when parrying (or at least so i find). I try to ignore my opponent’s head and torso and focus on his arms and his weapon (and to some extent his hips and feet).

Overheads and slashes - particularly overheads, in my experience, will hit around your shield if you aren’t extremely careful. In general you want to keep your opponent at a safe distance, as it will be nigh impossible to block attacks when they’re facehugging you.

But know that there’s nothing wrong with going without a shield, even if you’re playing a shield-capable class. Particularly when I play man at arms I prefer to go shieldless, opting for the throwing knives (even though they’re riddled with bugs…). Though I rarely play knight, I will tend to go with a shield, and switch to 1-hand when the situation calls for it, as knights are much less mobile than the man at arms and thus make easier targets for archers. But even having the thing on your back offers reasonable passive resistance to ranged attacks, while allowing you to benefit from rapid parries.

Hopefully someone who plays with a shield more often can give you better/more detailed advice, but those are at least the basics from one guy’s point of view.

• Go 3rd person, if you have to block more then two times consecutively, you’re probably dead already. Use shield bash to keep people at range then try to feint attack or circle around them and attack. Using a tower shield in 1st person is pretty difficult. As a knight, focus on leading your team into a charge and keeping Vanguards/Archers at bay while your team picks them off. If you’re trying to cut people down with a shield in hand, you’re not playing the role correctly and will have a hard time.

• Shields are a little less forgiving than just parrying, which is why I prefer to go without unless I know I’m going to be facing down a lot of archers (or even just one really good one).

For starters, shields don’t come up as quickly as a parry does, which means you have to respond a little more quickly to your opponent’s attacks. Also, you have to be very careful about facing the tip of your opponent’s weapon, moreso then when parrying (or at least so i find). I try to ignore my opponent’s head and torso and focus on his arms and his weapon (and to some extent his hips and feet).

This is impressive: EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE in this passage is absolutely wrong.

• Shields are less forgiving - WRONG. It is easier to block with a shield.
    • Shields don’t come up as quickly as parry does - WRONG, same speed.
    • You have to be more careful about facing the tip of the weapon - WRONG, there is a little more room for error.

To the OP: Shields are just different and you just need to get used to them, it’s easy once you get the hang of it. The absolute number 1 problem I had when I started learning how to use shields was that I kept forgetting to HOLD DOWN the block button, as opposed to a single tap which was all that was needed with a parry. If you have just started using shields, I bet anything that you are often dying simply by lowering your shield too early.

• Keep in mind that the Kite Shield leaves one of your legs exposed for an attack when facing directly at the enemy…. if they whack at your exposed leg, you’ll open up for an even worse attack if they combo.

I prefer to have a shield in hand at the cost of range with 2 handed weapons… the only thing I focus on the enemy is their weapon hand. If they thrust, a standard shield raise (or simply holding it up beforehand) will work fine… if they go for an overhand attack, you need to look upwards with the shield to block it, or they’ll usually smack you in the gob… if they go for a normal swipe attack, you need to look to your left to block it effectively, especially against long reach 2 handed weapons like what Knights and Vanguards use.

The closer they are and the longer the reach of the weapon = the further left you need to look to block.

Keep your dot on the screen facing or right on the weapon as it comes at you… much like parrying with a weapon.

But you need to be aware that a kite shield does not completely cover your body:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … vnvCS85z0#!

^ At 2:20 into the video they show a knight with a kite shield being shot by an archer…. notice where he can hit and where he can not.

• “If you have just started using shields, I bet anything that you are often dying simply by lowering your shield too early.”

I think thats a large part of the problem.

I’m so used to parrying with a 2h sword now (both vanguard and knight) the reduction in visibility drives me to tears, I think my shield aim is also off as a result of this.

TBH though one v one I don’t have issues parrying (aside from feints of course, thrusts / delayed swings when I get sloppy) its in 2v1 situations where I get mauled and I was hoping a shield would help as I’ve often seen shield guys survive quite a long time in 2v1

• @wintermute000:

“If you have just started using shields, I bet anything that you are often dying simply by lowering your shield too early.”

I think thats a large part of the problem.

I’m so used to parrying with a 2h sword now (both vanguard and knight) the reduction in visibility drives me to tears, I think my shield aim is also off as a result of this.

TBH though one v one I don’t have issues parrying (aside from feints of course, thrusts / delayed swings when I get sloppy) its in 2v1 situations where I get mauled and I was hoping a shield would help as I’ve often seen shield guys survive quite a long time in 2v1

That’s why I prefer shields…. I parry well with a weapon in hand, but up against archers or multiple enemies at once, I might as well take my weapon and push it into my eye until I touch the back of my skull to save them the trouble.

Sure I can zig and zag towards archers, and sure I can try my best to parry multiple enemies, but I’d prefer to have a shield for those situations. It doesn’t save me all the time, but oh well.

• @Bloodhead:

Shields are a little less forgiving than just parrying, which is why I prefer to go without unless I know I’m going to be facing down a lot of archers (or even just one really good one).

This is impressive: EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE in this passage is absolutely wrong.

• Shields are less forgiving - WRONG. It is easier to block with a shield.
    • Shields don’t come up as quickly as parry does - WRONG, same speed.
    • You have to be more careful about facing the tip of the weapon - WRONG, there is a little more room for error.

I don’t know what to tell you, except that this hasn’t been my experience. When I switch to a shield, I often take hits that I ordinarily wouldn’t because the shield feels less responsive than parrying. I can’t just tap RMB to block the way I can when parrying; I have to keep the shield up until the moment the attack hits. I also suffer blows where I swear I’m looking up high enough to block an overhead, yet I take damage anyway. I didn’t even get the point about the added stamina cost.

But I fully admit that I’m less experienced with shields, and I could just be imagining all this.