Character Customization > Classes?

• I had an idea! What if instead of straight forward classes (Archer, Vanguard, Man-at-Arms or Night) you just created a character and you got to chose their build, size and weapon preference? So let’s say you made a man 6 feet tall and with muscles everywhere. He’d be able to wear heavy armor and do a ton of damage but he wouldn’t move very fast, with that in mind you probably wouldn’t want him to use a low damage/fast weapon a broad dagger. Another example would be someone who’s 5ish feet (short) but well built, they’d be able to move fast wear some armor but he just wouldn’t have the strength to wear certain things or use certain weapons. What do you guys think?

• Would be nice but it’s possible only in a mod. Game is really close to publishing and changing such things would be just a waste of time.

• sounds more like an MMO and it’s too far into development to change the class system

• adananator, remember that CMW wants to give us a feeling of medieval warfare. While in MMO you choose path to follow, medieval proffesional soldiers were practicing with certain weapon for whole life. One does not need pulpy muscles to handle greatsword properly. Also, Vox’s and Petter’s arguments are true.

• Firstly. It looks like this game is going to EPIC. So no hard feelings. And i understand that it’s way to near release to start fucking with the class system, but anyway.

@yush:

adananator, remember that CMW wants to give us a feeling of medieval warfare. While in MMO you choose path to follow, medieval proffesional soldiers were practicing with certain weapon for whole life. One does not need pulpy muscles to handle greatsword properly. Also, Vox’s and Petter’s arguments are true.

No, CMW want to give us the feeling of hollywood medieval warfare. Spears and pikes were used way more often then the sword or the battleaxe. And a “Vanguard” is not a class (it’s a military formation, which can consist of a lot of different type of troops, depending on the situation), nor is a “Knight” (a knight is a social titel, in medieval armies you talk about men-at-arms, who were heavily armoured men, some of them were knights, some of them were not). Archer and a Man-at-arms are “classes”.

The thing is, I can’t see the point of the class system. Now I’m not talking about it “not being realistic”, that’s not the point. Spawning after you have died isn’t realistiv either.

The point is, if you were playing counter strike, would it make any sense or give anything to the gameplay if you would have to chose the class “Sniper” in order to buy a sniper? And if you did that, you wouldn’t be able to buy, say, grenades, because those were limited to the “assault class”, who only could use assault rifles, while the “heavies” could have shotguns and the para, and were the only ones able to buy that “bulletproof vest”.

Now, I don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to be an archer with super heavy plate armour. It would be stupid of me, yes, but it should still be my descision. Why? Because the devs, even if they are as awesome as theese guys, can’t figure out how I will want to play.

Sure, it would be stupid of me to have heavy armor if I have a short weapon (since I need to be fast to get within reach and “overwhelm” him), but hey, maybe some guy out there have figuerd out how to do that in a super awesome way that fits him. Well, then I think he should be able to do that.

Sorry for the bad english, I’m from Sweden and the time’s 3.42 AM. The game seems awesome and I hope I will enjoy playing it.

• @Fuhrerjehova:

Firstly. It looks like this game is going to EPIC. So no hard feelings. And i understand that it’s way to near release to start fucking with the class system, but anyway.

@yush:

adananator, remember that CMW wants to give us a feeling of medieval warfare. While in MMO you choose path to follow, medieval proffesional soldiers were practicing with certain weapon for whole life. One does not need pulpy muscles to handle greatsword properly. Also, Vox’s and Petter’s arguments are true.

No, CMW want to give us the feeling of hollywood medieval warfare. Spears and pikes were used way more often then the sword or the battleaxe. And a “Vanguard” is not a class (it’s a military formation, which can consist of a lot of different type of troops, depending on the situation), nor is a “Knight” (a knight is a social titel, in medieval armies you talk about men-at-arms, who were heavily armoured men, some of them were knights, some of them were not). Archer and a Man-at-arms are “classes”.

The thing is, I can’t see the point of the class system. Now I’m not talking about it “not being realistic”, that’s not the point. Spawning after you have died isn’t realistiv either.

The point is, if you were playing counter strike, would it make any sense or give anything to the gameplay if you would have to chose the class “Sniper” in order to buy a sniper? And if you did that, you wouldn’t be able to buy, say, grenades, because those were limited to the “assault class”, who only could use assault rifles, while the “heavies” could have shotguns and the para, and were the only ones able to buy that “bulletproof vest”.

Now, I don’t see why I wouldn’t be able to be an archer with super heavy plate armour. It would be stupid of me, yes, but it should still be my descision. Why? Because the devs, even if they are as awesome as theese guys, can’t figure out how I will want to play.

Sure, it would be stupid of me to have heavy armor if I have a short weapon (since I need to be fast to get within reach and “overwhelm” him), but hey, maybe some guy out there have figuerd out how to do that in a super awesome way that fits him. Well, then I think he should be able to do that.

Sorry for the bad english, I’m from Sweden and the time’s 3.42 AM. The game seems awesome and I hope I will enjoy playing it.

That is a valid opinion, now I think restricting the gameplay to classes is another valid one, with pros and cons. BUT it has the advantage of being simple, like simple for everyone to notice archers / knights on the battlefield , and act accordingly. Visual simplification prevents situations like being damaged and running from heavy plated guy thinking it’s a tank, and getting a crossbow bolt from him.

Moreover, as said SlyGoat on another thread, it would be excrutiatingly hard to balance out.

• It would not only be hard to balance, it would be impossible to balance and keep the unique perks of every class. Play the lightest class, take a spear as your primary weapon, and a crossbow as your secondary - now you kill everything without ever being able to take damage because you can dodge around and kill from a distance.

The thing about gun games is guns are basically all the same. Some of them have scopes and kill you in one hit, some of them don’t do as much damage or scope in but fire much faster, but generally speaking as long as you see someone and they don’t see you, you can crouch down, put your crosshairs over their head, and kill them before they can react from any range. In a melee game that isn’t the case.

Even if you get behind someone, they’ll hear your footsteps and be able to defend themselves - unless you’re a light class in which case you can get behind them quietly, but you can’t kill them in one hit.

Even if you throw the first hit in a fight and your aim is good, the other guy can react and parry - but then if you’re truly quicker you can react to their parry and feint, and throw another hit before he can recover from his parry, unless he anticipated your feint and got out of range, etc.

Melee combat is all how you react to things, it isn’t just shoot first and as long as you don’t miss you probably won as FPS games tend to be. It’s completely reactionary and very personal between the combatants. Without the class restrictions there simply cannot be balance without sacrificing the unique feel of each weapon and the mechanics of the classes. Game would devolve into whichever weapon the community has determined over time to be the best is all that anyone uses, like every FPS game without classes does.

• The main reason not to include this is class balance.

In AoC, there were 3 main classes with a selection of 3 weapons each. In a later patch, in order to balance it out, they had to be turned into 9 different classes each with their speed and health value, because with a shared base class and different weapons, balance was difficult.

• @SlyGoat:

Even if you throw the first hit in a fight and your aim is good, the other guy can react and parry - but then if you’re truly quicker you can react to their parry and feint, and throw another hit before he can recover from his parry, unless he anticipated your feint and got out of range, etc.

:o :o :o WOW BATTLE OF TITANS :o :o :o

• This is no MMORPG, this is pure pvp.