Frustration !

• Welcome to CMW!

1. This game should be looked as a comedy, and shouldn’t be taken too seriously. You will die a lot. Even after 100 hours. When you get used to the blocking patterns necessary to counter the different weapons you will die less. Eventually you will find that you can block most unfeinted attacks. You will still die, but understand more why it happened, and that leads to less frustration.

2. Not all will agree that the game is too fast. If you predict a combo after being hit by the first attack, don’t panic-spam RMB. Take the damage and concentrate on blocking the next one. This light classes with light weapons are meant to be dangerous up close, but its far from impossible to defend from them. The good duels are on good duel servers, and sometimes when you are the last man alive vs the enemys last on LTS

3. I’m not sure of you can die to 3 hits from fists. However, fists can be blocked, and but they can’t block your weapon.

4. The combat system rewards good blocking and stamina management. But at least as important are utilizing your weapons advantages, managing distance and lateral footwork and timing. Landing 3 hits in a duel is difficult enough against competent opposition.

5. True, WotR is better at this aspect.

6. Sounds funny enough, maybe there will be a MOD someday! Right now i wold prefer polishing of the combat system over RPG-elements.

7. In my opinion CMW is striking a nice balance between realism and fun, with an emphasis on fun. And it is indeed rewarding skillfull play by making you die less and have more “yeah!” moments.

8. Another good idea. This game is new so I guess we just have to wait and see. World of Tanks added features over time, and CMW might also.

9. I don’t know if this game appeal less to the mature gaming community. In my experience, public servers in CMW don’t have more ragekids than other online games. You can even find public server with a nice atmosphere :) But it is a fast paced melee game, with I dare say an excellent combat system, that have more humor than historical content.

• @AeRoTR:

Hi Guys,

I have been playing this game for a while (few days). Most of it, I have frustration.

1. I m getting mad, when people charge me with multiple never ending attacks, even with fists and eventually I cant block them, cause they fking get too close, I just dont know where to block.

2. Game is a bit too fast, is that skill or is that having some kind of combos, perfecting it and spamming your enemy? Where is the thoughtful duels?

3. Why is my man which is I assume a skilled warrior, dying with 3 fist combo? Can you defeat a man in plates with your 3 successful jabs or hooks?

4. Shouldn’t be perfect if man did not die with 1-2 or max 3 powerfull hits. So the sword fight should be longer, prizing the skillfull player, cause he blocked well and use the stamina perferctly?

5. Too few customizations, totally disappointed, this game still looks like beta or a mod. War of Rosses just beating this game in that aspect.

6. Don’t you guys know about cRPG for Warband. You have a great engine, why not implement real RPG elements into game. Let me buy some armour, some banner, let me buy some different weapon, let me earn them, let me be different. So let me still play this game, a year later. Look at the cRPG servers, how populated they are, even though it’s outdated, cant even be compared to this game engine. People are dying for RPG elements.

7. Let the game be a bit more realistic, rewarding skillful play, may be a bit slower.

8. Why not put a browser based persistent world map, implement clan system, let clans fight for land. Many examples around, you dont need to invent the wheel. Just check “world of tanks” or cRPG or some other games clan wars system.

9. Current level of the game is more appealling to youth, or youngsters. So they get uber happy for chopping a head of, or spamming around. Remember there is also mature community who are into this medieval genre, but they prefer a mature game.

Sorry for all mistakes in my post and I don’t want to offend anyone. I was just playing and exited the game in rage, came directly here to post.

Maybe next time you should go outside and clear your head first, while thinking about what just happened before you come in here and rage.

#1 - Try the training mission to figure out what you’re supposed to do and where to block first before jumping blindly into the online game. You’ll learn a lot, especially regarding combos and blocks.

#2 - Bit too fast? some would say it’s a bit slow depending on the class you’re talking about. For me the speed is just right. There is a lot of thought that goes into playing as every action can have an equal consequence…. spamming away with attacks drains your stamina which when is gone, screws you in not being able to block decently, or combo, etc. If you have someone just swinging away like mad, just go on the defense and back track until they run out of stamina like a fool… then kill him.

#3 - Fists, compared to every other weapon, are a bit faster, but have a short range and less damage ability. Use your longer ranged weapons on them before they get too close and chop em down… if you can’t do this decently, then figure out how to block… ie: see #1.

#4 - If you get smacked in the head with a mace 2-3 times, helmet or not, you’re going down… if a Hockey player can drop to the ice with a concussion from one flying elbow to the head, I’d say a couple of whacks from a mace to the head would kill you. If someone drives a Claymore into your chest, one of those should drop you like a rock… but in the game, you can usually take 2 of those… which I’d attribute to the armour you speak of. Armour can only take so many blows before it’s damaged and eventually, some vital spot on your body is going to be exposed… even if that wasn’t the case, while armour can protect you from getting things shoved into your body, blunt force can eventually break bones or cause some serious injuries none the less.

#5 - It’s a game developed by an Indie Company… it’s their first retail game. WTF do you expect? More content, maps, game modes and bug fixes are still on their way. A big patch for the game is slated for this month actually. If you think War of Rosses is better… hop to it, go get it and play it.

#6 - People are not dying for RPG elements, you are. This isn’t a Role Playing Game and you’re a part of a Military Force… what kind of military do you join where you have to “PAY” for your equipment? :? There is customization in the game right now, via weapons / equipment which you EARN by doing well with that tier of weapons. You can also customize your helmets, if you EARN them through playing. And again, more is on the way for this game.

#7 - The game is as realistic as it needs/should be. People move about as fast and as much as they should based on armour and equipment… any slower and things would get tedious and boring.

#8 - Maybe in the future, and there was just a Clan Ladder thing just brought up today/yesterday… but what you request (An MP Campaign) isn’t really needed at this time.

#9 - Appeals to a younger player base? I’m 32, been playing games since I was 4 with my dad’s Atari… and like the game just as it is.

The game isn’t for everybody, and while developers will do their best to make their game appealing to as many people as possible, you can’t please everybody. What you seem to be looking for is a completely different game than what Chivalry is… and I doubt the Devs will strip the game down and build it back up from scratch simply because you said so.

Maybe before you bought the game, you should have informed yourself a little better by looking at reviews, gameplay videos and player’s opinions before you decided to buy something you’d end up not liking.

• Safe to disregard this thread after I read that you think combat speed is a little too fast. It’s pitifully slow.

• Thank you guys, for all the nice answers. Today playing on duel servers was awesome, that flourished my expectations on this game.

• @AeRoTR:

Thank you guys, for all the nice answers. Today playing on duel servers was awesome, that flourished my expectations on this game.

No worries…. but remember, this is a game that grows on you over time.

When I first came across the game, I checked out some videos and these forums and it looked pretty interesting…

But when I got it, I wasn’t hating or liking the game at first… I wasn’t sure what to think when I first started playing… but after a week or so playing, I figured things out and it grew on me. There have only been a few games over the years that did that to me.

The ones that grow on me are usually the ones I stick to for a very long time, while the ones I liked right away, I tend to get bored of quickly (dunno why)

There are going to be certain game modes that you will like more than others (for me, I can’t stand Last Team Standing) and others you won’t. Same with the classes… some things you will love, other things you’ll hate. That’s what makes a game so great cuz it screws with you like that 8-)

• @AeRoTR:

1. I m getting mad, when people charge me with multiple never ending attacks, even with fists and eventually I cant block them, cause they fking get too close, I just dont know where to block.

if they are RIGHT UP IN YER FACE, you have to turn atlest 30 degrees to block the following attack,

Down if stab
    Up if overhand
    Right if its combo-ed side swing
    Left if its a side swing repeated

@AeRoTR:

3. Why is my man which is I assume a skilled warrior, dying with 3 fist combo? Can you defeat a man in plates with your 3 successful jabs or hooks?

Actually you should be able defeat a man with one successful jab to the torso, no matter what.

@AeRoTR:

4. Shouldn’t be perfect if man did not die with 1-2 or max 3 powerfull hits. So the sword fight should be longer, prizing the skillfull player, cause he blocked well and use the stamina perferctly?

Skillful players versus skillfulplayers last well over 10 seconds most of the time, if in a corridor then almost never. Skilled player duels ends when one of them gets teamed, or they tire-out mentally IRL and make a mistake.

@AeRoTR:

5. Too few customizations, totally disappointed, this game still looks like beta or a mod. War of Rosses just beating this game in that aspect.

Its quite the amazing amount of weapon choices for a indi game. Also, the customizations in this game actually matters. This is a man’s game, not your modern gamer’s game.

@AeRoTR:

6. Don’t you guys know about cRPG for Warband. You have a great engine, why not implement real RPG elements into game. Let me buy some armour, some banner, let me buy some different weapon, let me earn them, let me be different. So let me still play this game, a year later. Look at the cRPG servers, how populated they are, even though it’s outdated, cant even be compared to this game engine. People are dying for RPG elements.

The RPG element is you unlock weapons… But its there so new players can use easy LMB spam weapons first to learn the game, instead of picking an hard advanced weapon that they will get frustrated using.
    This game don’t have the RPG element your looking for, I am 100% sure the designer DESIGNED IT that way.

If you want REAL RPG elements I am sure shouting kill the archers! while you run down an archer is pretty damn RPG…

@AeRoTR:

7. Let the game be a bit more realistic, rewarding skillful play, may be a bit slower.

Game is more realistic then any other game featuring a sword, vanity my lord.

@AeRoTR:

8. Why not put a browser based persistent world map, implement clan system, let clans fight for land. Many examples around, you dont need to invent the wheel. Just check “world of tanks” or cRPG or some other games clan wars system.

INDI DEVELOPER, they have about 20 times less people making this game then most other non indi games, beproud that this game is here at all.
    asking for more content just have to wait.

@AeRoTR:

9. Current level of the game is more appealling to youth, or youngsters. So they get uber happy for chopping a head of, or spamming around. Remember there is also mature community who are into this medieval genre, but they prefer a mature game.

…I am sure censored fights where dead people just dissolve in pixels is more mature, The only thing childish in this game is the absurd jumping ability and the “unlock” weapons feature.

People running around LMB spamming is fodder and kills teammates, okay…

• “1. I m getting mad, when people charge me with multiple never ending attacks, even with fists and eventually I cant block them, cause they fking get too close, I just dont know where to block.”

if you play too much on the defensive, youll get overwhelmed fast , you need a good balance of offence / defence … use kick often and counter-attacks …

“2. Game is a bit too fast, is that skill or is that having some kind of combos, perfecting it and spamming your enemy? Where is the thoughtful duels?”

well imo the game speed is almost perfect , lower the speed and all attacks will too easy to block and more speed it would be unplayable , you just need practice to learn the pace and mechanisms of the game… and theres server with different speed …

“4. Shouldn’t be perfect if man did not die with 1-2 or max 3 powerfull hits. So the sword fight should be longer, prizing the skillfull player, cause he blocked well and use the stamina perferctly?”

my last duel lasted for almost 1minute and a half( real time )… when fighting a opponent with the same skills as yours , the fights last longer … and it already takes 4-5 hits to kill a knight as a maa , i wouldnt be fun if it took more than that … after all , i dont think anybody could survive more than 3-4 hit from a sword. fast and brutal! …

“5. Too few customizations, totally disappointed, this game still looks like beta or a mod. War of Rosses just beating this game in that aspect.”

well i agree that a bit more customisation would be nice ( as long as i can differentiate between my enemies and friendly in a sec ) … keep in mind that TBS is a small indie group of 15 pps … i personaly like chivalry better , the combats are far more “up close and personal” … give them time

my opinion , for the rest i dont really have valid points to add and im a bit to lazy to type it …
    i hope me meet on the battle field sire!

• @Linniz:

If you want REAL RPG elements I am sure shouting kill the archers! while you run down an archer is pretty damn RPG…

This. This is the very essence of CMW. Real immersion > grinding for gear.

• lol @ this thread.

This is a melee based FPS and its goddamn epic. On the surface it looks like a very simple game but once you delve into its very very strategic on a micro-level. Expect MASSIVE frustration and rage when playing this game but thats what makes it have high replay value and fun.

Also, lets turn it up to 125% speed shall we?

• Ahh the frustration.

I think this game is similar to Dark Souls in that they tell you before you buy the game… prepare to die.

No matter how skilled you are at this game, you will die.

This game is incredibly frustrating and rewarding at the same time.

One thing that makes this game frustrating is that it is a melee game so when you respawn, you usually have to run for a while back into the action, unlike most fps’s where you can move a short distance and then using a scope, get right back into the action.

This having to run back to action is what causes the frustration… how many times have you ran and ran only to jump into the action, miss everyone and get 1 shotted. Back to spawn, start running back… get close to the action… eat an arrow to the face… start again.

heh.