Maul Buff

• Just though I would suggest a maul buff. I have 120 hours playing, mostly maul.

I feel that it is in desperate need of a buff. It is extremely difficult to use and has no advantages other than a high powered overhead swing. I think the last patch slowed down the overhead swing making it even harder to achieve.

I am level 29 and can easily lose to a vanguard level 4 or 5 LMB spamming with the great sword or halberd, or even a man at arms who rushes and spams lmb.

I can block non stop, but due to the slow maul I cannot counter with an attack. The only option is to make more space to time a swing (also patched with smaller hit boxes). With team mates blocking you and getting stuck on walls, rocks, and random things it is very difficult to counter.

If I make 1 simple mistake with the maul, I’m dead

I understand its the most powerful weapon, however, you still need to 2 hit most enemies I know I can overhand 1 hit head shot men at arms, vanguard, and archers with 1 shot…with 3rd person view most people play…good luck …they dance around the poor knight like hes standing still

The Maul wind up is too long as well. I can be almost 70 to 80 percent through a swing and I get hit I get cancelled. I could be wrong but damn, the swing period is so long, and the hit boxes are so small.

I guess that is why no one really uses the maul.

Can’t counter attack
    No range
    Slow
    Small hit boxes
    Even worse on hills

I think the solution would be better range, and a faster counter attack (or penalty for non stop swings that are blocked? lets encourage some strategy!)

• I love love love my maul! I would agree with a buff, but my opinion on this matter is extremely biased… It’s all about timing and if you know they’re way way faster, there is always a secondary (although, I’d rather die than give up my maul! :lol:) Stab+Overhead combo works wonders too… Most pubbers can’t parry the maul very well and once you have the timing down, you’ll be unstoppable!

• I’m not going to say anything about the maul because I don’t use it often enough to have a valid opinion of what should be done with it

but having an interesting way to counter spam would add to the dynamic
    could be a simple stacking bonus to speed (with a cap of course) to your next attack if you happen to parry instead of reposing in the the same sort of timeframe as a normal repose

• I would just like to point out all the last patch changed was animations, the timings remained the same.

• There already is a maul buff in the game.

It’s called a secondary weapon.

/thread

• The maul is not a 1v1 weapon its a support weapon. Also same applies to the player you are against. If they make one mistake their head becomes a pancake.

Swap to your secondary. I feel too powerful usually when I use the maul.

If there is one buff they could do is making its range bigger. It clips through people without doing damage. That I have noticed.

• @tlbww:

There already is a maul buff in the game.

/thread

Knight secondaries are trash compared to the sheer power of the maul.

@lemonater47:

The maul is not a 1v1 weapon its a support weapon. Also same applies to the player you are against. If they make one mistake their head becomes a pancake.

If there is one buff they could do is making its range bigger. It clips through people without doing damage. That I have noticed.

For me, the maul is a weapon that makes 3 or 4 people vs me a fair fight in most pub games… I don’t support anything with it, I jump into the frontlines and crush everything I see. Pancake heads are delicious with maple syrup!

• I prefer that one greatsword with the funny name that looks wavy and makes a semi-solid paste out of people. 8-)

The maul makes a satisfying pancake noise when you hit somebody in the nose.

• @Unit:

I prefer that one greatsword with the funny name that looks wavy and makes a semi-solid paste out of people. 8-)

Zweihander :lol: I enjoy that one as well, but maul is #1 in my mind.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@tlbww:

There already is a maul buff in the game.

/thread

Knight secondaries are trash compared to the sheer power of the maul.

@lemonater47:

The maul is not a 1v1 weapon its a support weapon. Also same applies to the player you are against. If they make one mistake their head becomes a pancake.

For me, the maul is a weapon that makes 3 or 4 people vs me a fair fight in most pub games… I don’t support anything with it, I jump into the frontlines and crush everything I see. Pancake heads are delicious with maple syrup!

THe maul is more effective when you and others are taking on 1 target or just you are taking on more than one target.

1v1 means that your opponent has all his attention on you and the very easy to block he maul or strike in the windup with a stab. Whe. He has mates hes trying to avoid hittin his team mates or moving to get in a better position to strike and suddenly ends up with his head in his chest. You can even hit multiple targets in a swing as they are all thinking that someone else will block it.

1v1 with the maul is harder. Unless they do something stupid.

• I dont know where you are playing, because i have complete diffrent opinion about maul… I dont use it myself very much, but at least 50% of knights are always maulers, and they always have godlike kills, because somewhy its very hard to block them, even with shield. Also i noticed that knight 2h sword has same reach as maul . If you can reach him, he can reach you, and maul atacks do a shitload damage, so i would say that 1on1 mauler is veery strong, and if you buff it even more, then no one will ever use other weapon .

• @riverfenix182:

If I make 1 simple mistake with the maul, I’m dead

This also applies to the enemies facing you. Perhaps even somewhat more.

Maul is fine as it is. Extreme high-damage, but slow. Get caught out in the open, you’re most likely going to be dead. The Maul is a high risk, high reward weapon. If you think that it’s underpowered, then it clearly does not suit your current playstyle.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I love love love my maul! I would agree with a buff, but my opinion on this matter is extremely biased… It’s all about timing and if you know they’re way way faster, there is always a secondary (although, I’d rather die than give up my maul! :lol:) Stab+Overhead combo works wonders too… Most pubbers can’t parry the maul very well and once you have the timing down, you’ll be unstoppable!

How did I know you gonna be first person to post in this thread.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@Slaughtervomit:

I love love love my maul! I would agree with a buff, but my opinion on this matter is extremely biased… It’s all about timing and if you know they’re way way faster, there is always a secondary (although, I’d rather die than give up my maul! :lol:) Stab+Overhead combo works wonders too… Most pubbers can’t parry the maul very well and once you have the timing down, you’ll be unstoppable!

How did I know you gonna be first person to post in this thread.

PSYCHIC!! :P

• I am level 29 and can easily lose to a vanguard level 4 or 5 LMB spamming with the great sword or halberd, or even a man at arms who rushes and spams lmb.

As a shield using knight I really hate coming up against the maul, I’m generally too impatient to stab, get out of the way, stab again etc so thanks for the LMB spamming tip!

• @Reginhard:

I am level 29 and can easily lose to a vanguard level 4 or 5 LMB spamming with the great sword or halberd, or even a man at arms who rushes and spams lmb.

As a shield using knight I really hate coming up against the maul, I’m generally too impatient to stab, get out of the way, stab again etc so thanks for the LMB spamming tip!

I love crushing shield users who think they’re oh-so-safe behind that wall of silly. Facehug + overhead usually means a smashed head :lol:

• I love crushing shield users who think they’re oh-so-safe behind that wall of silly. Facehug + overhead usually means a smashed head

Go on then; tell me how do you lose to a knight with a kite shield and sword of war? Go on; go on, go on! Promise I won’t tell anyone.

• @Reginhard:

I love crushing shield users who think they’re oh-so-safe behind that wall of silly. Facehug + overhead usually means a smashed head

Go on then; tell me how do you lose to a knight with a kite shield and sword of war? Go on; go on, go on! Promise I won’t tell anyone.

I don’t :)

Actually, the only times I recall “losing” to a kiteshield is when they attack from behind when I am already low on health. Most face-to-face fights vs shields, I win.

• You guys do have some valid points. The Power of the maul is good, however I don’t think it is extreme. The overhead swing is the only swing I would consider extreme damage. At the end of the day you still need 2 hits to take down a full health enemy.

1 hit head shot, 2 body on most enemies. (How many other weapons with greater speed, and range have the same damage ability? I don’t worry about number stats, I think 2 hits is 2 hits.)

Another issue I have with the maul is you cant really feint effectively. If I feint with it, the opponent can block the false attack, and counter or change range before I can bring up the real swing. I want to use some strategy with the maul !!

Yeah I know timing and range is everything with the maul, however, isn’t that the nature of every weapon in this game?

I agree it is a very limited weapon, perhaps it is meant only to be a support weapon.

Why have a maul if you must use your side arm for simple skirmishes? I rarely see other classes do that except archers, who have the advantage of fastest sprint and untouchable range.

I think this would help the maul or the great mace (other suggestions???)

• Increase range
    • Add a counter spam (again, cant counter attack with the maul, speed bonus for successful spam swing blocks?)
    • Increase kick speed? Its sooo slow right now. That would help with spammers and create some distance for an attack.
    • shorten the swing cancel distance

I by no means want this weapon to be noob friendly. I think it should require some patience and skill/strategy. I want the maul to be able to hold its own against noob/intermediate players who can beat it by spamming LMB

So far, the best strategy of this game that I can see is to pick the longest and fastest weapon.

Why else do vanguards rule the k/d ratio at the end of the round?

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Unit:

I prefer that one greatsword with the funny name that looks wavy and makes a semi-solid paste out of people. 8-)

Zweihander :lol: I enjoy that one as well, but maul is #1 in my mind.

Face pancakes anyone? 8-)