Catapults and Ballistas

• Well I haven’t seen any posts about these failing weapons so I though I would say a few words in hopes of a desire for fixes.

Catapults:
    I understand that there was a desire for more reality with the cats but they are so damn buggy and far from accurate, not to mention that you have to hit “E” 5 times before it attaches you too it. This seems true with about every siege weapon, a huge inability to actually use it or get off of it. When you do get off of it, you cannot do any attacks. You have to block to get the rest of the buttons/attacks to work properly.

Next is the locations of said weapon in that so much is blocking your view of where it lands, trees, hills, archer shields, and the like that it seems pointless to even use them. Bad map design. Then you have the broken audio “click” notifiers that tend to muddled together so that you cannot even count how many there are for setting range. Which leads me to the next fail of this weapon, range. The accuracy or lack there of makes it pointless to use 80% of the time. Even with lots of practice it just plain sucks and is far from accurate.

Then there is the idea that they are destructible. I actually like the idea a lot but again very poorly executed. It doesn’t take much to destroy it but then it regens almost instantly. Um what is the point again?

And lastly the client side floating catapult. Many times the catapult will launch you and itself high in the air and you are looking down upon the earth from a floating catapult. IF you disengage from it, you are back on the ground and now the cat is invisible unless you look up. This is an annoying bug that only the client can see.

All these issues make this weapon only a novelty and truly useless in any situation.

Balista:
    Sadly the only cool thing about this was removed with the last patch that of being able to double shoot it. Yeah it was a glitch but it was a fun glitch. Lets talk again about the in ability to connect to the weapon without hitting “E” 5 or more times…. oh wait, you cannot. Again, same issue with engaging and disengaging with this weapon is a pain. The same is true with not being able to attack until you block first after you get off this POS. Really? What is up with not being able to get off something and fight right away?

Next you have the wondering jittery Balista. There you are moving the blaista while it jitters to it’s target only to stare down your enemy from the balista and ready to fire when all of a sudden it creeps around like a random boner in math class. You don’t know why it is creeping around and away from what you want it to do, it just has a mind of it’s own. So, you go with it and fire, hoping the issue will go away, but it rarely ever does.

How did any of this get past the so called beta? I dunno but I am sitting with my boner, not getting up to write on the chalk board till it goes away.

• SO is this a non issue because no one really uses them or that players just dont care?

• @Retsnom:

Well I haven’t seen any posts about these failing weapons so I though I would say a few words in hopes of a desire for fixes.

Catapults:
    I understand that there was a desire for more reality with the cats but they are so damn buggy and far from accurate, not to mention that you have to hit “E” 5 times before it attaches you too it. This seems true with about every siege weapon, a huge inability to actually use it or get off of it. When you do get off of it, you cannot do any attacks. You have to block to get the rest of the buttons/attacks to work properly.

Next is the locations of said weapon in that so much is blocking your view of where it lands, trees, hills, archer shields, and the like that it seems pointless to even use them. Bad map design. Then you have the broken audio “click” notifiers that tend to muddled together so that you cannot even count how many there are for setting range. Which leads me to the next fail of this weapon, range. The accuracy or lack there of makes it pointless to use 80% of the time. Even with lots of practice it just plain sucks and is far from accurate.

Then there is the idea that they are destructible. I actually like the idea a lot but again very poorly executed. It doesn’t take much to destroy it but then it regens almost instantly. Um what is the point again?

And lastly the client side floating catapult. Many times the catapult will launch you and itself high in the air and you are looking down upon the earth from a floating catapult. IF you disengage from it, you are back on the ground and now the cat is invisible unless you look up. This is an annoying bug that only the client can see.

All these issues make this weapon only a novelty and truly useless in any situation.

Balista:
    Sadly the only cool thing about this was removed with the last patch that of being able to double shoot it. Yeah it was a glitch but it was a fun glitch. Lets talk again about the in ability to connect to the weapon without hitting “E” 5 or more times…. oh wait, you cannot. Again, same issue with engaging and disengaging with this weapon is a pain. The same is true with not being able to attack until you block first after you get off this POS. Really? What is up with not being able to get off something and fight right away?

Next you have the wondering jittery Balista. There you are moving the blaista while it jitters to it’s target only to stare down your enemy from the balista and ready to fire when all of a sudden it creeps around like a random boner in math class. You don’t know why it is creeping around and away from what you want it to do, it just has a mind of it’s own. So, you go with it and fire, hoping the issue will go away, but it rarely ever does.

How did any of this get past the so called beta? I dunno but I am sitting with my boner, not getting up to write on the chalk board till it goes away.

A lot of this stuff is so true… Yet you are so stupid to condense it into a wall of text and a bucket of useless rant.

• Back in Age of Chivalry, the catapult was a very useful siege tool to take out groups of enemy. The catapults were especially useful at the capture of the wall on Helms_deep, or defending the fort at darkforest. Ballista were however rarely used because it was too hard to handle.

In Chivalry, the catapult seems to work at certain objectives, however I feel like they are a bit weak, they should have a higher splash radius and damage in my opinion. The Ballista however needs perhaps some training in order to use, but I still feel like it needs a buff in somewhat way.

Maybe the catapult should have a special HUD that tells the player who controls the catapult how many clicks they are at? and perhaps ballista should have a different crosshair, one that is identical with the archery crosshair, but perhaps with more dots on the side?

• @acrh2:

A lot of this stuff is so true… Yet you are so stupid to condense it into a wall of text and a bucket of useless rant.

Cough

Look up the word condense in a dictionary…

• I like the Ballista, any more shots and it would be overpowered.

I like destroying the catapult if someone is bombing our own team.

• Global Moderator

using the catapult there are the occaisonal times when you fire a shot at 5 clicks. You see your targets moving away. You see your teamates walking to where you targets were. Your thinking oh shit oh shit oh shit. Boom 3 TKs. And you get yelled at. And they respawn walk past and kick you.

Destroying your teams catapult does no one any good and it make you the greifer and you have more reason to get kicked. they dOnt want to TK. If they are bombing the objective you are pushing then well they deserve to have a swing taken at them.

• Perhaps the Catapults and Ballistas should have like a level 10 requirement for use. Maybe players would understand the basics of the game enough by then to avoid hurling a giant rock on top of their teammates whom are currently pushing an objective.

• the balista is fine imo ( except few glitches ) but the catapult is horrible … if we could get statistics on the catapult , i bet i killed more friendlies than enemies( specialy in battleground , ppls keep aiming at the cart …)

i dont like the click system , i would prefer something more visual

• the balista is fine imo ( except few glitches ) but the catapult is horrible … if we could get statistics on the catapult , i bet i killed more friendlies than enemies( specialy in battleground , ppls keep aiming at the cart …)

i dont like the click system , i would prefer something more visual

• Very true in the fact that the cats were very useful in AOC while balistas where just a wreck but at least you could jump on and off of them with a single click. The balistas are still very buggy thus making them borderline useless.

Besides the bug isssues with both weapons the catapult is a bad design in that you cannot see your targets due to the camera location being too low and behind the uprights. The other issue is the location of them. On stonehill it is 70% blocked by trees and terrain making its use more of a lobbing pot luck. Yes you can get better with practice as I have gotten better but it doesnt do enough damage with virtually no way of being accurate with the failed overlapping “Click” system. Thus they are not really worth using considering all the higher risks of potential TKs and the inability to get on or off the weapon and be able to get into the fight.

I think many that played AOC will agree the cats were very useful with a high degree of accuracy. Yes TKs still happened of poorly timed but at least you could see where you were aiming and it was just a matter of timing.

@acrh2:

I am glad that your superior intellect can discern the difference between what is considered a wall of text, with no paragraphs and an actual well thought out and presented discussion. Ugh freaking noobs……

• Even the catapult firing animation is off. The boulders appear out of thin air from some point in front of the catapult instead of being launched directly from the bucket. For a game that otherwise has great animation it sticks out like a sore thumb.

They would also be considerably more useful if they could be placed anywhere _and_could be destroyed permanently, especially by enemy siege weapons. That would require a way to respawn them though which would be a whole new game mode, possibly using resources captured or earned or whatever. The game has the potential for a whole lot of new game modes so it’s not out of the question.

• @Holycannoli:

Even the catapult firing animation is off. The boulders appear out of thin air from some point in front of the catapult instead of being launched directly from the bucket. For a game that otherwise has great animation it sticks out like a sore thumb.

They would also be considerably more useful if they could be placed anywhere _and_could be destroyed permanently, especially by enemy siege weapons. That would require a way to respawn them though which would be a whole new game mode, possibly using resources captured or earned or whatever. The game has the potential for a whole lot of new game modes so it’s not out of the question.

Yeah I totally forgot about that. I wonder if I can import the old AOC catapults into udk once I start mapping.

• @lemonater47:

using the catapult there are the occaisonal times when you fire a shot at 5 clicks. You see your targets moving away. You see your teamates walking to where you targets were. Your thinking oh shit oh shit oh shit. Boom 3 TKs. And you get yelled at. And they respawn walk past and kick you.

Destroying your teams catapult does no one any good and it make you the greifer and you have more reason to get kicked. they dOnt want to TK. If they are bombing the objective you are pushing then well they deserve to have a swing taken at them.

The moral of the story is: Don’t shoot at your targets, shoot at where they will be.