Feinting Poll

• @The:

Feint to parry, or feinting to cancel an attack (which is actually silly because it’s cancelling to cancel an attack) are totally valid. Nothing should be changed in regards to using the cancel ability for these purposes.

But I also feint to extend an attack. If I start a stab and realize my opponent is too far, I will feint to extend the range of my attack. Just little things like that. Or sometimes I will even double-triple feint to extend an attacks range. It has nothing to do with getting you to panic block, just a way for me to have the cobra bite you as soon as I reach you. So messing with feints because you get faced hugged too much, will change a lot of aspects to how chiv is played.

• @ChuckingIt:

@The:

Feint to parry, or feinting to cancel an attack (which is actually silly because it’s cancelling to cancel an attack) are totally valid. Nothing should be changed in regards to using the cancel ability for these purposes.

But I also feint to extend an attack. If I start a stab and realize my opponent is too far, I will feint to extend the range of my attack. Just little things like that. Or sometimes I will even double-triple feint to extend an attacks range. It has nothing to do with getting you to panic block, just a way for me to have the cobra bite you as soon as I reach you. So messing with feints because you get faced hugged too much, will change a lot of aspects to how chiv is played.

Well, that’s a bit of a lazy way to use it. ;)

You’d just have to make sure to time when you attack better. Judge distance.

although, if you’re sufficiently far away, it could still be used like that. The delay between cancelling an attack and when you can attack again, only needs to be the difference between when a parry is activated, falls off, and can be activated again. So Probably a second or 1.5 seconds. You could still sort of use it like you do.

• I honestly don’t have enough experience with feinting in 1v1 scenarios to feel strongly either way. I suppose I wouldn’t mind a small amount of tweaking. Perhaps a shorter period in which you’re able to feint an attack so it’s less of a last-second guessing game and becomes easier to react to if you’re paying attention. I’ve also only encountered “feint spamming” vs 2hander users where it’s easy to punish, so I can’t comment on whether or not it’s really a problem from personal experience. I could imagine feint spamming being really problematic against a MAA with a fast 1hander that knows what they’re doing though.

• Learn to feint, period. Whether you’re an archer, maa, etc. It’s a neat mechanic and works well. If you find yourself being owned by a player who feints every other swing then train yourself not to block that next stroke and turn the table around on him. Use right mouse to feint, not q. And really don’t want to be feinted?.. Use a shield if your class allows it. You’ll notice good players will frequently opt into there shield immediately when encountering an enemy who uses feint frequently.

• @The:

@ChuckingIt:

@The Radiant:

Well, that’s a bit of a lazy way to use it. ;)

You’d just have to make sure to time when you attack better. Judge distance.

although, if you’re sufficiently far away, it could still be used like that. The delay between cancelling an attack and when you can attack again, only needs to be the difference between when a parry is activated, falls off, and can be activated again. So Probably a second or 1.5 seconds. You could still sort of use it like you do.

The point is, feinting has been in the gameplay of chivalry medieval warfare from day 1. IE launch day 1 of the released game. Making drastic changes to a core mechanic can be devastating if overdone. I still have fun with it in, so I hope they don’t let anti-feinters ruin a core of the game.

• @ChuckingIt:

The point is, feinting has been in the gameplay of chivalry medieval warfare from day 1. IE launch day 1 of the released game. Making drastic changes to a core mechanic can be devastating if overdone. I still have fun with it in, so I hope they don’t let anti-feinters ruin a core of the game.

I often wonder what a poll would look like now if it was asking for a feint type mechanic to be introduced into the game if it had launched without it to begin with.

We’re not talking about removing parrying or sprinting here. Feinting is indeed a core mechanic of the meta as is, but without it, that meta would shift immediately.

I’m curious, have you ever fought a good player without feints before? Regardless of if it changes your opinion on feints themselves, I don’t think anyone has told me after dueling me that it was boring or low-skill. If you haven’t, you should consider giving it a try. You’d be surprised how much you might like it.

• Please remove feinting. It takes no skill and ruins the game for me in duels.

• If you look at the top people in competitive teams, you will see that they never complain about feinting. Feinting is a mechanic in the game, why should it be removed? The people that are new to the game like to complain when they get killed by someone better than them. I used to get angry when people feinted against me, but I never asked for the devs to change it. The new people will like feinting if they try it out. The reason they hate it is that they get killed by it, and they don’t know how to use it properly.

• @LazyBoy:

If you look at the top people in competitive teams, you will see that they never complain about feinting. Feinting is a mechanic in the game, why should it be removed? The people that are new to the game like to complain when they get killed by someone better than them. I used to get angry when people feinted against me, but I never asked for the devs to change it. The new people will like feinting if they try it out. The reason they hate it is that they get killed by it, and they don’t know how to use it properly.

Then why are so many people who have used feints and who are also very skilled veterans also on “change feinting” side? MUSASHI is a good example of someone who uses them but agrees they are in need of a change (or rather parrying be changed). He’s really good, I’ve been in some games with him.

Both sides have really good points too, imo. I am personally against feints. I don’t like them. I don’t use them (although, I know how to use them). I just feel cheap for using them. I want to feel good about kills, not cheap.

• @LazyBoy:

If you look at the top people in competitive teams, you will see that they never complain about feinting. Feinting is a mechanic in the game, why should it be removed? The people that are new to the game like to complain when they get killed by someone better than them. I used to get angry when people feinted against me, but I never asked for the devs to change it. The new people will like feinting if they try it out. The reason they hate it is that they get killed by it, and they don’t know how to use it properly.

I am not a new player. I can and have used feints offensively. I don’t like it. Please do not lump all of us into the “new player whining about something he doesn’t understan” category.

• @LazyBoy:

There are plenty of players who dislike feints, and plenty who like them. Guess what? There’s skill to go around in both groups, and plenty of new players too.

• @The:

@LazyBoy:

There are plenty of players who dislike feints, and plenty who like them. Guess what? There’s skill to go around in both groups, and plenty of new players too.

Yeah I agree… I think a lot of the guys that are for keeping feints the same are probably good, but some are also probably bad… We all have a vision of what Chivalry should be, so really I wouldn’t say the people arguing either way are wrong… Just have a different point of view.

In most of my posts, I like to make sarcastic remarks saying that they are wrong… :lol:

• @LazyBoy:

Masters of any game also tend to be the people that will use ANYTHING in game to gain an advantage or optimize their performance. They tend to view the game in black and white so that if it exists in game (even if its a bug or unbalanced) it’s fair game.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@The:

@LazyBoy:

Yeah I agree… I think a lot of the guys that are for keeping feints the same are probably good, but some are also probably bad… We all have a vision of what Chivalry should be, so really I wouldn’t say the people arguing either way are wrong… Just have a different point of view.

In most of my posts, I like to make sarcastic remarks saying that they are wrong… :lol:

There are many skilled players who use feints, I duel them quite often, yet it’s obvious there is a skill disparity if they agree not to feint against me. It rarely is a challenge then (at first). This reinforces to me just how much of a crutch feinting is. If it was a balanced mechanic, not using it wouldn’t cause your skill level to drop so dramatically, but it does in every circumstance I’ve seen.

• @Dr.Nick:

Masters of any game also tend to be the people that will use ANYTHING in game to gain an advantage or optimize their performance. They tend to view the game in black and white so that if it exists in game (even if its a bug or unbalanced) it’s fair game.

It also stands to reason these same masters will be resistant to change, especially radical change, because it’ll mean they have to re-master the game. They might not even become as proficient as they were, which can be scary if you’re one of the top players.

• As the player who plays since day 1, I don’t really use feint.

I prefer honest fight that test our reaction time and think about “How do I get around his steel wall defense”. Rather than “Hey, I am gonna swing and I knew you are gonna parry, nope. I just feint and so I can hit you after-parry.”

Just my two cent.

• I dont necessarily feint often but when i do and that 2nd swing hits you feel like a man. I think that honestly feints are overall fine and i think without them skilled player matches would last…forever. I do not know what changes should be made but i feel like feints are too easy to execute so maybe cost more stam? Or reduced damage on the actual hit?

• @Pitchfork:

I dont necessarily feint often but when i do and that 2nd swing hits you feel like a man. I think that honestly feints are overall fine and i think without them skilled player matches would last…forever. I do not know what changes should be made but i feel like feints are too easy to execute so maybe cost more stam? Or reduced damage on the actual hit?

Completely false.

Even now, fights without feints between very good players do not last for very long, at all.

• @Dr.Nick:

…And that’s how you end up getting banned.

• Thanks SlyGoat for that update on what’s happening behind the scenes. It’s much appreciated.

There’s one other thing I would like to add to the list of bugs, and that’s dodging on uneven surfaces, especially in a portion of the duel maps.

In lieu of a fix, I’ve been developing my timing and footwork to compensate for the buggy dodging, which has worked out tremendously for me so far. All the issues mentioned here coupled with feint used to really frustrate me before last night, which I spent all day practicing in duel mode. I was also one of the guys complaining about all the problems with the game, but since last night I’ve been dominating people and actively seek out duel servers with the highest skilled players available because anything less isn’t a challenge anymore. The only time I really die these days is usually due to some minor bugs mentioned here like ghosting and dodge bugs, or just a lucky hit. A note to you other guys out there who suffer the problems mentioned in this thread, work on your footwork and maneuvering/positioning and you’ll have far greater success. Go practice on a duel server and eventually you’ll greatly increase your battlefield prowess so long as you are mindful of your mistakes and correct them.

Now from my experience, dodge has some shortcomings due to the landscape. Sometimes you’ll dodge and you’ll see yourself move back then a half second later you’ll be right back where you were before the dodge, effectively ghosting. Can’t recall how many times this has happened to me and lead me to either my death, or some serious damage. Other times it tends to dodge in whatever direction about 1 foot, effectively wasting stamina and potentially getting yourself hit if you were actively dodging out of the way of a strike due to reach and follow-through from the opponent.

As for feints, they’re not as big of a problem for me anymore due to my footwork and timing training. If you know someone is a feint abuser (people who do nothing but feint feint feint to win), keep your distance and mind their own footwork, where they’re going. With the proper timing training you can either dodge out of the way (hopefully) or get an attack in while they’re feint spamming. Personally I rarely ever use feints. Instead I rely almost solely on footwork and evasion tactics, and remaining fluid with my timing. When my opponent expands, I contract. When my opponent contracts, I expand. That’s been my general philosophy of late and it’s helped me become a force to be reckoned with.

By developing this strategy last night, I’ll be immune to any forthcoming feint changes seeing as I rarely rely on them in my strategy. Most fights (90% maybe?) I don’t even use a single feint. As such, my ability to overwhelm an opponent will only get stronger as their reliance on feints to win becomes diminished. I find that those feint abuses (not everyone who uses feints) are generally less skilled than I am, so I look forward to seeing what they can offer in terms of a challenge once the dust settles.