Feinting Poll

• @Slaughtervomit:

@The:

@LazyBoy:

If you look at the top people in competitive teams, you will see that they never complain about feinting. Feinting is a mechanic in the game, why should it be removed? The people that are new to the game like to complain when they get killed by someone better than them. I used to get angry when people feinted against me, but I never asked for the devs to change it. The new people will like feinting if they try it out. The reason they hate it is that they get killed by it, and they don’t know how to use it properly.

There are plenty of players who dislike feints, and plenty who like them. Guess what? There’s skill to go around in both groups, and plenty of new players too.

Yeah I agree… I think a lot of the guys that are for keeping feints the same are probably good, but some are also probably bad… We all have a vision of what Chivalry should be, so really I wouldn’t say the people arguing either way are wrong… Just have a different point of view.

In most of my posts, I like to make sarcastic remarks saying that they are wrong… :lol:

There are many skilled players who use feints, I duel them quite often, yet it’s obvious there is a skill disparity if they agree not to feint against me. It rarely is a challenge then (at first). This reinforces to me just how much of a crutch feinting is. If it was a balanced mechanic, not using it wouldn’t cause your skill level to drop so dramatically, but it does in every circumstance I’ve seen.

• @Dr.Nick:

Masters of any game also tend to be the people that will use ANYTHING in game to gain an advantage or optimize their performance. They tend to view the game in black and white so that if it exists in game (even if its a bug or unbalanced) it’s fair game.

It also stands to reason these same masters will be resistant to change, especially radical change, because it’ll mean they have to re-master the game. They might not even become as proficient as they were, which can be scary if you’re one of the top players.

• As the player who plays since day 1, I don’t really use feint.

I prefer honest fight that test our reaction time and think about “How do I get around his steel wall defense”. Rather than “Hey, I am gonna swing and I knew you are gonna parry, nope. I just feint and so I can hit you after-parry.”

Just my two cent.

• I dont necessarily feint often but when i do and that 2nd swing hits you feel like a man. I think that honestly feints are overall fine and i think without them skilled player matches would last…forever. I do not know what changes should be made but i feel like feints are too easy to execute so maybe cost more stam? Or reduced damage on the actual hit?

• @Pitchfork:

I dont necessarily feint often but when i do and that 2nd swing hits you feel like a man. I think that honestly feints are overall fine and i think without them skilled player matches would last…forever. I do not know what changes should be made but i feel like feints are too easy to execute so maybe cost more stam? Or reduced damage on the actual hit?

Completely false.

Even now, fights without feints between very good players do not last for very long, at all.

• @Dr.Nick:

Masters of any game also tend to be the people that will use ANYTHING in game to gain an advantage or optimize their performance. They tend to view the game in black and white so that if it exists in game (even if its a bug or unbalanced) it’s fair game.

…And that’s how you end up getting banned.

• Thanks SlyGoat for that update on what’s happening behind the scenes. It’s much appreciated.

There’s one other thing I would like to add to the list of bugs, and that’s dodging on uneven surfaces, especially in a portion of the duel maps.

In lieu of a fix, I’ve been developing my timing and footwork to compensate for the buggy dodging, which has worked out tremendously for me so far. All the issues mentioned here coupled with feint used to really frustrate me before last night, which I spent all day practicing in duel mode. I was also one of the guys complaining about all the problems with the game, but since last night I’ve been dominating people and actively seek out duel servers with the highest skilled players available because anything less isn’t a challenge anymore. The only time I really die these days is usually due to some minor bugs mentioned here like ghosting and dodge bugs, or just a lucky hit. A note to you other guys out there who suffer the problems mentioned in this thread, work on your footwork and maneuvering/positioning and you’ll have far greater success. Go practice on a duel server and eventually you’ll greatly increase your battlefield prowess so long as you are mindful of your mistakes and correct them.

Now from my experience, dodge has some shortcomings due to the landscape. Sometimes you’ll dodge and you’ll see yourself move back then a half second later you’ll be right back where you were before the dodge, effectively ghosting. Can’t recall how many times this has happened to me and lead me to either my death, or some serious damage. Other times it tends to dodge in whatever direction about 1 foot, effectively wasting stamina and potentially getting yourself hit if you were actively dodging out of the way of a strike due to reach and follow-through from the opponent.

As for feints, they’re not as big of a problem for me anymore due to my footwork and timing training. If you know someone is a feint abuser (people who do nothing but feint feint feint to win), keep your distance and mind their own footwork, where they’re going. With the proper timing training you can either dodge out of the way (hopefully) or get an attack in while they’re feint spamming. Personally I rarely ever use feints. Instead I rely almost solely on footwork and evasion tactics, and remaining fluid with my timing. When my opponent expands, I contract. When my opponent contracts, I expand. That’s been my general philosophy of late and it’s helped me become a force to be reckoned with.

By developing this strategy last night, I’ll be immune to any forthcoming feint changes seeing as I rarely rely on them in my strategy. Most fights (90% maybe?) I don’t even use a single feint. As such, my ability to overwhelm an opponent will only get stronger as their reliance on feints to win becomes diminished. I find that those feint abuses (not everyone who uses feints) are generally less skilled than I am, so I look forward to seeing what they can offer in terms of a challenge once the dust settles.

• @Cyan:

snip

Not everyone plays an MAA and can just dodge out of the way of attacks or possible feints.

• @The:

24% of people say feints are fine as they are.

57% say they are fine as they are, or should have minor tweaks made to them.

39% say they need to be removed or have dramatic changes made to them.

4% say they have no opinion.

It’s clear by these numbers that such a minor tweak as slightly more stamina usage on one handed feints is a woefully insufficient response.

Keep in mind that these numbers on this forum do not represent the majority of players playing this game. Its a show of the expressive minority that go to the forums. A majority of players will play the game for a short time then move on as with any game. Also a majority of players that will keep playing the game will be to lazy to or not want to express there ideas on the public forums.

My solution would to have a feint attack of its own animation so after some one feints there attack could have different stats and easy to pick up that the player really is attacking.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

For people voting on “…okay, but in need of some slight tweaks”. What “slight tweaks” are we talking about? There is no way to rework feint without some major tweaks.

i agree with this statement. Feinting works great. People just learning to feint often feint too slowly (they feint their swing but don’t follow up quickly enough) and are feinting the sideswing which unless accelerated or delayed is already easier to read in most situations (and you really would never delay your swing after feinting.). Just a tip, use right mouse button to feint, not q. Right mouse is way more efficient because it enables you to have all your fingers at the movement keys. I didn’t even know you could use right mouse when i started feinting and it was somewhat difficult to retrain myself after using q so much but well worth it.