Thoughts so far as a Javelin user…

• I’ve finally unlocked all the javelins and my thoughts so far, please don’t troll me, or say I’m new, these are just my thoughts:

Out of the weapons I’ve tried, hardest by far.
    Buckler might as well be used to bake a potato in.
    Two-handers are WAY to powerful and far to fast,
    Why is archer class so slow?!
    Why can’t I run when I have a Javelin out?
    Why can’t I combo with a Javelin?
    Almost impossible to hit anything with a thrown javelin.
    What’s with the long delay between blocking after a throw?
    HOW DOES A JAVELIN NOT INSTA KILL A KNIGHT ON A HEADSHOT?!
    Why is the buckler the ONLY 3rd tier item? I can think of quite a few things that would be good, more ammo for one, on that note,
    Why so little ammo?
    Takes me longer to ready a shaft of wood to throw then it does for someone to lift a solid metal sword?!
    Why can’t I zoom my view with the Javelin?

I’m sure there’s more that I’m forgetting…

• Out of the weapons I’ve tried, hardest by far.

I’ve found unlocking knives the hardest challenge.

Buckler gives you an option to block whenever you want and for how long you want. However, it’s trickier to block with shields than it is to block with a weapon from my experience. All in all buckler is solid choice if you are forced into melee combat. You can survive a bit longer and deal more damage at the same time because of it. One bad block doesn’t kill you as surely when you have a shield.

Two handed weapons aren’t that fast. In fact they’re slow but enemy is starting their attack ealier meaning you get into their area of attack before you can land hit on them. If you manage to get close you can feint and kill them in most cases. What makes people think two handers are too fast is counter-attack speed, which is faster than normal attack. Don’t spam attack against two handers. Instead block until you get into range of your own weapon, feint them and exploit your advantage of having faster weapon.

What do you mean?

You can sprint when powering your javelin. You can’t sprint with your javelin already powered-up probably to prevent kiting.

Most likely because there is only one combat animation for javelin.

It takes (a lot of) practice but it’s doable.

My guess it’s done to prevent shoot’n’block tactic.

Depends on what javelin are you using. My heavy javelin killed instantly all classes when I managed to get a headshot with it. Other javelins aren’t that powerful I assume.

Why is the buckler the ONLY 3rd tier item? I can think of quite a few things that would be good, more ammo for one, on that note,

All the other items belong to other subclasses.

Why so little ammo?

To make your throws count. Ammo boxes aren’t that rare to make a problem out of it, but I do agree adding two or so more javelins wouldn’t hurt.

Takes me longer to ready a shaft of wood to throw then it does for someone to lift a solid metal sword?!

That’s why you need to keep your distance and make your shoots count.

Why you even need it as a javeliner?

• It’s one of the most powerful setup in the game, but it’s certainly not the easiest. Good archers rack up a lot of kills with Javelin. Don’t forget that archers have bonus backstab damage.

• Before the wall of quotes, I should add that the best javelineers are those who master javelin melee. The main purpose of throwing javelins is to weaken the target before melee begins; getting kills with them is a secondary concern. Most of the FFAs I play with javelin are won because I’m not afraid to fully commit to melee. Javelin thrusts are fast, hard to see, and surprisingly powerful.
    @Monmaker:

Out of the weapons I’ve tried, hardest by far.

True, players who use javelins will have lower scores than they would usually have.

The Buckler is an excellent shield. It’s light responsive and gets the job done, but your blocks do need to be accurate.

The javelin has one of the fastest and least visible thrusts in the game, which makes it excellent for flinching slow attacks.

There is a speed boost granted to players who are approaching you from behind within a certain range. This chase mechanic is why it is difficult to run away if an enemy gets too close. Run early or hold your ground.

You can sprint with it out, which is its main advantage over bows and crossbows.

It only has the ability to thrust, and thrusts aren’t supposed to combo with each other.

It requires practice and relatively close range. They deal so much damage that it is worth the effort.

This is to prevent people from spamming javelins at close range without risk.

One thrust will finish him. I think the heavy javelin should kill a knight in one headshot though, which it currently does not.

Why so little ammo?

Refill at ammo boxes often. Save your last javelin for melee.

Again, balance.

No throwing weapons have zoom, and throws should be at close or medium range.

• I agree buckler is a piece of shit. I would much rather have no shield at all and parry with javs themselves!

If jav users need ammo boxes so bad, why do some FFA maps not have ammo boxes?

• My biggest complaint about Javelins is the recovery time after a throw. It is extremely long. You lift your next javelin up and still can’t block or attack.

• I have given up on Javelins a long time.

1)The Buckler Blocks less than a normal block
    2) Your stab has so low range
    3)So many people have weapons that one hit you
    4)Only one type of attack not counting the bastardshild is so easy to block

My Suggentions:

1. Give them the MAA armor stats
      2)Give then the choice to use the midle sized shild or shild free
      3)Give them the attacktypes the spear has minus the slash , shildbash can stay

2. Make a real animation for throwing javelins

• @Holy.Death:

Depends on what javelin are you using. My heavy javelin killed instantly all classes when I managed to get a headshot with it. Other javelins aren’t that powerful I assume.

According to the spreadsheet it does 90 dmg to knights upon headshotting leaving the knight with 10 health left.

• @poiuasd:

@Holy.Death:

According to the spreadsheet it does 90 dmg to knights upon headshotting leaving the knight with 10 health left.

Those figures are apparently from beta, and may no longer represent the current game. They still give a fairly good indication though.

• @TheFunnySide:

I have given up on Javelins a long time.

1)The Buckler Blocks less than a normal block
    2) Your stab has so low range
    3)So many people have weapons that one hit you
    4)Only one type of attack not counting the bastardshild is so easy to block

My Suggentions:

1. Give them the MAA armor stats
      2)Give then the choice to use the midle sized shild or shild free
      3)Give them the attacktypes the spear has minus the slash , shildbash can stay

2. Make a real animation for throwing javelins

Agreed on every point, not so sure about the armor thing though. Otherwise yes, they’re quite awful as of now.

• @GhoXen:

It’s one of the most powerful setup in the game, but it’s certainly not the easiest. Good archers rack up a lot of kills with Javelin. Don’t forget that archers have bonus backstab damage.

Let’s not forget they only have 5 ammo. “One of the most powerful setups” is the craziest term I’ve heard of in reference to Javelineers.

• Rank 43

• Make either reload or raising the Javelin incredibly fast
    • Make buckler not take so much vision when jumping
    • Fix shield bashing with buckler, fix Javelineer’s shield attack. Shield bash straight up refuses to hit sometimes, and shield attack doesn’t work if you hit a wall with it.
    • Fix issues when hit while reloading, that causes multiple reloads sometimes
    • Give us the option to get rid of our shitty buckler, we can just parry (unless you manage to fix it to satisfaction… unlikely, sorry :s)
    • Make less weapons one shot Javelineers

EDIT: And for god’s sake mans, fix animation ghosting.

This would balance Javelineers in my opinion.

• Having unlocked everything for Javelin class, my biggest thought beyond those mentioned here (buckler failing to block and freezing down when doing the push, reload issues…) is that the javelin actually has a role against shields historically that I would love to see in Chivalry.

Historically, javelins were used to crack and damage shields or stick in the shield and make it awkward. I get that this isn’t a realistic game and pilum didn’t exist at the same time as these other weapons, but the idea of a pilum was to make a shield unwieldy and worthless by weighing it down. Now this is far more of a game about skirmishing than shield walls, but I would love to see a mechanic disadvantaging a player with a spear or two in the shield.

This might be a big request though if it required a mechanic to throw away the shield. Possibly just disable a buckler or kite (unequipped essentially) with 2 javelins or 1 pilum in it, double that for a tower shield and no effect for short spears?

• @Misnomer:

…the javelin actually has a role against shields historically that I would love to see in Chivalry.

Historically, javelins were used to crack and damage shields or stick in the shield and make it awkward.

Excellent point! You’re right, it’s very difficult to implement this kind of realism in a balanced way.

• @GhoXen:

[Those figures are apparently from beta, and may no longer represent the current game. They still give a fairly good indication though.[/quote]

Those figures are completely up to date. In fact, they’re a little bit too up to date - they use the figures from the beta of the next update.

Speaking of the next update - javelins are getting significantly buffed. While the beta was active at the end of last month, a lot of people were speculating the new javelin buffs were too much and they would have to be dialed back or javs would be overpowered.

• Haha, Jav’s are very effective if you play them right.

The stab attack is incredibly powerful for an archer weapon, usually takes 2-3 hits to kill anyone. A thrown jav does significant damage to all classes leaving your mighty stab a very effective method for finishing them off.

The trick is to not throw your jav’s often (unless you have an ammo box near-by) The massive delay for reload is the biggest threat to a Javelin user, so don’t ever throw when someone is within 1-2 seconds of hitting you. Unless you know you can kill them with the throw (sometimes you just ‘know’ it is going to hit).

I would very much love an option to use buckler whilst mid-reload, I’m happy for it to to reset the reload animation and/or drop the current jav leaving 1 less to use.

• The biggest and worst thing about Javelins at the moment, above all else, is the fact you can’t pick your Jav’s up from walls, floors or corpses. If you can, it works rarely for me. I notice in bot games, you can actually loot Jav’s from the enemy’s corpses. I want that. Obviously mitigate it so not every Javelin can be retrieved, but the way it is, with 5 ammo and little to no pick ups isn’t working for me.

• @DeminRamst:

The biggest and worst thing about Javelins at the moment, above all else, is the fact you can’t pick your Jav’s up from walls, floors or corpses. If you can, it works rarely for me. I notice in bot games, you can actually loot Jav’s from the enemy’s corpses. I want that. Obviously mitigate it so not every Javelin can be retrieved, but the way it is, with 5 ammo and little to no pick ups isn’t working for me.

Yeah this is a strange bug at the moment probably related to how projectile stickies function server-side, since it works in an offline bot game. It actually happens to all projectiles, not just ones you can pick up - they’ll disappear on certain surfaces and objects.

• I’ve been specializing with javelins for 3/4 weeks straight. It’s a powerful class when used correctly. Your shield’s easy to see past, you run faster than most classes and your weapon’s strong and has a long range.

• People complain so much when javelins are in a pretty good place. Learn how to block and thrust. Sigh…

MountainLord-LosPepe’s