Idea to fix shields

• Currently shield is so strong. They can hold right mouse button and block you all day long if they are good enough. VS a good player you will never get a hit through and feint is useless when they can just hold onto the RMB with no penalty.

Suggestion:

If you were to hold a shield up for long period of time in real life you would get tired. I would like that if you just held on to RMB your stamina will drain. When you successfully block an attack you can regain a small amount of stamina. So essentially if you only hold onto the shield when an attack is coming you would lose stamina but gain some.

All offensive misses use up stamina, I think all defensive misses should also lose some stamina.
    Ex. If I parry for no reason, I should lose some stamina, but if the parry connects I will gain a little stamina.

So watching stamina will be very important. Like in a boxing match you dont just keep throwing uppercuts, you jab to weaken opponents and finish them off when you see an opening. If you throw finishers the whole match you would lose.

• They are not strong at all, you just need to get used to it and find a way to counter it.
    You will need footwork, knowing the range of his weapon will help you, just be out of his range and when his strike misses hit him. If he closes space between you and him kick him. You can try with faster weapons so when he misses you will have more chances of hitting him. Also shields slow you down and cover your vision, so unless hes playing in third person you can try to move around him and hit it from a side.

Regarding the suggestion, I would make the metal shields never break but cost much more stamina while holding it and the wooden ones would cost almost no stamina at all to hold it but they would break. Obviuously this would require to redo every weapon so the ones with wooden shafts would be breakable.

I don’t want to offend anyone, but most people who whine about shields are just lazy, the shields can counter their weapons of choice so they get mad, they want to play with the weapons they want, the way they want, and they want to nerf the shields because they can counter them.

• Another shield nerf request.

As a shield user I’d very much like a shed load of weapons nerfs; but in reality I’d soon get bored if we got them. There are loads of ways to counter shields as discussed above and I’m enjoying working on counters to these counters.

Don’t fix it - it aint broke.

• @Reginhard:

Another shield nerf request.

As a shield user I’d very much like a shed load of weapons nerfs; but in reality I’d soon get bored if we got them. There are loads of ways to counter shields as discussed above and I’m enjoying working on counters to these counters.

This. This. This. 8-)

• @Reginhard:

Well I’ll be damned: how wrong can you be, shields are getting nerfed after all.

• I like them as they are now…. while they have the shield up, they can’t attack, so advantage for you.

Kick them to make them drop their shield.

The suggestion that someone should lose stamina simply because they’re holding the shield up?

What’s the difference compared to them holding it in their hand while standing or moving around?? It doesn’t magically become more heavier when you raise it up… and a trained soldier/knight/etc. shouldn’t be some weakling who tires out after holding his shield up for a few seconds… c’mon.

A shield is exactly that… a SHIELD… it’s meant to protect you and it’s meant as a means of effective defense… otherwise, why they hell have one?

@Reginhard:

Well I’ll be damned: how wrong can you be, shields are getting nerfed after all.

In what way?

• It’s not a nerf so much as a bug fix. Currently, if you initiate an attack while holding a block, you don’t have to drop your shield first - it just starts the attack immediately. That was never intended, it’s the main balancing factor of large shields and the only one not negated by playing in third person. You’ll still be able to counterattack quickly with a buckler and fairly fast with a heater, but Knight shields, and especially the tower shield, will be significantly slower to attack from a blocking stance.

• Shields are fine as they are. You can still headshot a knight with a tower sheild as archer. Just hit over or around the sheild.

• @SlyGoat:

It’s not a nerf so much as a bug fix. Currently, if you initiate an attack while holding a block, you don’t have to drop your shield first - it just starts the attack immediately. That was never intended, it’s the main balancing factor of large shields and the only one not negated by playing in third person. You’ll still be able to counterattack quickly with a buckler and fairly fast with a heater, but Knight shields, and especially the tower shield, will be significantly slower to attack from a blocking stance.

So kindly give the Knights a heater shield and all will be well. A knight on foot with out a heater shield is just wrong.

• Actually, shields need to be fixed in the sense that certain close-range face-to-face hits go right through the shield. I’m basically talking about spears, and no, it’s not related to low stamina.

Moreover, I’d love to see a nerf to parry, in the sense of lengthening the interval between parries. Currently, the servers are full of parry-spam archers and maa’s, and you can only hit within a small window if they simply spam parry with no skill. That really small window cannot be predicted, since the strafe dance makes the hit connect at unpredictable discrete moments, so it’s basically a matter of luck. I have no qualm with passive parriers, but a lot just abuse a no-skill spam parry tactic which, sadly, is quite effective.

• Most of the shield users are easier to kill than non-shield user. They often think they’re totally safe behind their wall of steel so they don’t really pay mind to your running around, but with some good footwork you can get those overheads in just fine.

Most of them are also easy to flank, when they keep it up just run around them, they’ll barely noticed if they’re not very good/ experienced.

• @Reginhard:

@SlyGoat:

It’s not a nerf so much as a bug fix. Currently, if you initiate an attack while holding a block, you don’t have to drop your shield first - it just starts the attack immediately. That was never intended, it’s the main balancing factor of large shields and the only one not negated by playing in third person. You’ll still be able to counterattack quickly with a buckler and fairly fast with a heater, but Knight shields, and especially the tower shield, will be significantly slower to attack from a blocking stance.

So kindly give the Knights a heater shield and all will be well. A knight on foot with out a heater shield is just wrong.

I would agree with that, knights with heaters are not only a valid option (or rather should be), but it’s also iconic. Hell the knight in that picture you have in your sig has a heater.

My only concern is that MAA loses one of his very few class-specific gear pieces, a class that already has no unique primaries or secondaries.

I dislike shields simply because they have the effect of being an infinite use get out of jail free card in team fights, and slow large brawls down. One on one they’re totally fine, but in a 3v3 the side without shields loses considering similar skill level.

• Have to say that kite shield knights are too strong in melee 1v1 duels. Even without using third person, top level shield users can kill most matchups thrown against them mainly in part because enemy feints mean nothing to them.
    Common suggestions thrown around to beat shield users is footwork, dragstabs, feinting to one side and then attacking from the other or lookdown overhead feint into feet stab etc.
    These tactics almost never work against top shield users.

Once the patch hits, shield knights will become balanced given that:
    -you can no longer attack with shield raised without the delay of lowering your shield first
    -stamina drain from raising your shield will begin instantly
    -shield size is proportional to an added wind-up time on your weapon
    -being kicked with shield raised will put you in a unique stun for 1.2 seconds

Knights should be allowed to use heater shields and bucklers to give them more diversity given that tower shields will be even less viable to use in most games after patch.

• shields are fundamentally broken and need a nerf or something, people here saying “shields are fine” " you can just go around it with overhead" are just medicore players and think that tactics like circlestrafing actually work against really, really good shield users, where they block EVERY hit even if you combo feint different directions. also forget to mention that if you crouch nothing ever goes trough anyway lol

• @Reginhard:

Yeah this.

Shields have big disadvantages. First I’d like to correct you, you take stamina hits for each blocked hit, so you can’t block forever. Plus have you ever used a tower shield? You can’t see sheeeeeiiit, it covers easily 65%-75% of my screen and I’m running at 1920x1080 res. Not to mention the fact that you can’t block those god forsaken oil pots.

• Currently, I think shields on defence are a problem in competitive play. Very good shield users can conterminously block attacks in a 1v1 situation. Obviously they eventually run out of stamina, but not before everyone on their team has respawned and swarmed the attacker. Of course, with 2 players you can quickly overwhelm the shield guy. Well, unless he has a wall at his back…

• Has it been mentioned that they’re increasing the stun time from getting kicked with your shield up?

Because they’re doing that
    they’re trying to make it so that the kicker can get a hit in before the shield can be raised again

• @Steel:

First I’d like to correct you, you take stamina hits for each blocked hit, so you can’t block forever.

So does parrying without a shield. This isn’t only applicable to shields.
    @Steel:

Plus have you ever used a tower shield? You can’t see sheeeeeiiit, it covers easily 65%-75% of my screen and I’m running at 1920x1080 res.

(disregarding 3rd person for a moment) High skilled shield knights do not use tower shield for this reason and also because of the extra stamina cost - its drawbacks do not outweigh the benefits it provides compared to the kite shield.
    @Steel:

Not to mention the fact that you can’t block those god forsaken oil pots.

This isn’t something you can list as a disadvantage in favor of shields appearing balanced as nothing can block oil pots in the game.

The main problem with shields is that it is a perma-parry that mitigates an important part of combat, feinting, and that’s fine as long as there’s a tradeoff.
    The general ‘counters’ that people list only really apply to inexperienced or average level shield users that you’d expect in a typical pub game.

If you’ve ever seen videos of some of the competitive matches and scrims you’d notice what shield knights are capable of - feinting them or attempting to sidestep/drag stab/lookdown overhead into feetstab etc doesn’t work unless they are distracted but that can be applied to any other class too.

I’m not saying nerf the hell out of them, they need some tweaking. It would be nice if Torn Banner shed some light on the individual windup time addition that each shield gives.

• They said they’re increasing the stun time from kicks on shields from 1.1 to 1.2 seconds, think that’ll help Sir?

Oh, same deal with parrying or blocking with no stamina
    1.2 second stun time

• @BB:

They said they’re increasing the stun time from kicks on shields from 1.1 to 1.2 seconds, think that’ll help Sir?

Oh, same deal with parrying or blocking with no stamina
    1.2 second stun time

I dunno, I just hope I can use a sweet heater shield along with a longsword next patch, variety is awesome.