How To Setup a Dedicated LAN Server
I wrote this little how-to for my own reference at our LAN Parties. FSLAN ftw! I figured it could be helpful to some. Let me know if you have any questions.
Chivalry Dedicated LAN Server
There are two ways of running a dedicated server. The first is using the game you play, the second is using the downloadable dedicated server files. Using your game isn’t preferred due to performance issues, but can be done in a pinch.
Using your game:
1. Install the game on steam.
2. Create a shortcut on the desktop pointing to UDK.exe.
3. Right click on the shortcut and click properties.
4. Add this to the end of the target line: “ server AOCFFA-Ruins_P” <–note the space before “server”.
5. Mine looked like this: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe” server AOCFFA-Ruins_P
6. Double click the shortcut and hopefully it will now be running.
7. To connect to the server, launch the game and hit the tilde (~) key.
8. Type “Open” then the IP Address of the server.
9. Mine looked like this: Open 10.0.0.172
Using the downloadable dedicated server files:
1. Download the dedicated server files on steam. Once downloaded the folder is “standalone” see notes below.
2. There are 3 executables in “\Binaries\Win32”. UDK.exe, UDKGame.exe and UDKLogging.exe.
3. I heard somewhere UDKLogging.exe and UDK.exe are the same, just one you see stuff in the console and the other you don’t. Also, that you shouldn’t use UDKGame.exe because of performance issues.
4. Create a shortcut on the desktop pointing to UDKLogging.exe or UDK.exe.
5. Right click on the shortcut and click properties.
6. Add this to the end of the target line: “ AOCFFA-Ruins_P?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver” <– note the space before the map name.
7. Mine looked like this: C:\Servers\Chivalry-Server\Binaries\Win32\UDKLogging.exe AOCFFA-Ruins_P?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver
8. Double click the shortcut and hopefully it will now be running.
9. To connect to the server, launch the game and hit the tilde (~) key
10. Type “Open” then the IP Address of the server.
11. Mine looked like this: Open 10.0.0.172
Server customization and administration:
1. There is a PDF (ServerDoc.pdf) in the dedicated server home directory that shows the things you can change.
2. There are 2 ini files that can be adjusted for your server preferences, DefaultGame.ini and PCServer-UDKGame.ini.
3. The only thing I changed for FSLAN was adding an admin password, which allows me to login as an admin and add bots, kick people, etc.
4. In PCServer-UDKGame.ini under [Engine.AccessControl] I added AdminPassword=password
5. In game I connected to the server, hit the tilde (~) key and typed “AdminLogin password”
6. After logging into admin, to add bots, I typed “Admin AddBots 3”. This added 3 bots to the game.
7. There are many other commands you can use as an admin.
1. If you get a dx9.dll error install the latest directx on your server.
2. Chivalry’s dedicated server is “standalone”, meaning you can just copy the folder contents to any PC and it will work without install. Thank you Torn Banner!! :-)
3. AOCFFA-Ruins_P is just the starting map name, you can put any map in there and it should work.
4. Anything in red above is what is typed in.
Hope this helps! Thanks!
ES-Damna last edited by
Worked perfectly for me! :D
Do have one question. Can other people who don’t have the IP join? In other words, would it show up in the server lists? Or does this only work for those who have the IP?
Well, I haven’t ever been able to make it show up in the server list… I’m still working on it tho. Usually aside from the internet servers there can be a “LAN” tab to show any servers on the LAN, but it’s missing in this game. : \ I may be able to get it to show up under the internet servers… just haven’t figured it out yet. I’ll let you know. :-)
JHoersten2 last edited by
Well, I haven’t ever been able to make it show up in the server list… I’m still working on it tho.
For an internet game, my properties list:
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalry_ded_server\Binaries\Win32\UDKLogging.exe” AOCTD-Moor_p?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27015 -dedicated=true
You’ll have to be sure you’ve opened your router’s ports, by visiting your default gateway in a web browser, whatever you have it set as (http://192.168.1.100) etc. That should get you all set.
Awesome, thank you. I’m going to add that to my how-to.