[MECH] Feinting Saves Your Team Mates' Lives

• Use feint to cancel an attack that isn’t going anywhere useful or is likely to hit a team mate.

For example- you start an attack or combo but the guy you intend to hit gets killed by a team mate or your team mates gets in your way. Instead of letting your combo ride out, use feint to get back to idle quicker. No need to swing several times at the air above the dead guy, or in the flesh of your buddy.

Unless you feel he wronged you in some way.

• Aim at the ground, wall or tree if you have one next to you if you are too late for feint. It stop the attack

• @EricFong:

Aim at the ground, wall or tree if you have one next to you if you are too late for feint. It stop the attack

That’s what I currently do right now…. maybe once I get into the game and tactics more and I get more used to it being there, I’ll use it more.

• Feinting basically works as a shortcut to getting yourself back to a ready-state.

I’ve noticed that I feint attacks simply because my target got out of range during my windup- by feinting I can move in closer for a another attack much quicker.

Also a fair few times I’ve used feint+immediate parry when I notice an enemy windup an attack at the same time as me (particularly in situations where hit trading is a bad idea).

• I’ll mouse drag away from an ally to save the energy if I’m confident I can, but it’s hard to make that decision in a split second, and when in doubt, a live ally is muuuch better than a little energy.

Dumb anecdote: The other day I came to a wounded ally’s rescue and finished off his opponent with a back stab, and he repaid the favour by canceling his greatsword swing with Q. This probably saved my life, as I was already wounded, too, so I paused for a second to hit x+5 and thank him… and promptly ate a crossbow bolt to the face for standing still. Ah, easy come, easy go.

• Yeah, I have to say I probably use feinting FAR more for canceling attacks I suddenly decide I don’t want to do for whatever reason, than I do to intentionally fake anyone out. It’s just nice to be able to be like “IMMA GONNA HIT-wait no not gonna do that.”

• Question: Sometimes in combat I’ll be in windup and realize I need to block, so I hit RMB. This appears to have the same effect as a feint - namely that my swing stops and I don’t block lol. Is there really a reason for Q?

• @Wolfram:

Question: Sometimes in combat I’ll be in windup and realize I need to block, so I hit RMB. This appears to have the same effect as a feint - namely that my swing stops and I don’t block lol. Is there really a reason for Q?

Right click does also feint yes. I prefer it over using Q. If you are in windup and you need to block then you basically want to feint first then block- so basically right click twice.

• TBH this thread should be stickied to every single subforum kthxbye

• You can also mouse drag to avoid the hit if you have enough control :D