WEAPON SWAP

• I don’t suppose I’m the only one that’s had this issue, but more specifically for archers: While you are zoomed in and ready to take a shot, you notice someone sneaking up and go to swap weapons… but there is this ridiculous delay where you must first LOWER your bow before it will let you put it away. So here you’ve initiated the “switch weapon” command but instead all it’s done is “lower bow” (bow still equipped). This is a very frustrating bug, and I’m sure all classes have had something similar where the weapon changing doesn’t go through after the command to switch is initiated.

I’m not saying it needs to be instant, I’m just saying if I command it to change weapons; it’s usually because I NEED it to change weapons. This should override any preset condition such as wielding a torch, zoomed in on bow, holding a shield and swapping to a 2h, getting “stunned” and your character “forgets” to swap to the weapon you told him to prior to the first hit. I think this would add a lot to the game play of those with less armor vs. heavies.

On a similar note: not dropping out of sprint to equip a weapon. Once again, if it is given the command, it should override any other previous command as (in the archers case) it’s usually a matter of life and decapitation.

Crossbow: Needs to have some quality that makes sense to actually go with a bow. I’ve never owned a crossbow nor seen one ACTUALLY being used from medieval times, but to my knowledge they were less accurate at long ranges than a conventional bow and better at shorter ranges. I think it would add to the game instead of the less skilled having the “easymode” option of crossbow and requiring them to learn to aim the real bow. Crossbows should be stronger but with less accuracy at greater distances.

Now to go to bat for Crossbowmen: add zoom. I find it silly that my “keen archer eyes” fail me when I use a crossbow (though that could just be a bug?). At any rate comments appreciated, sorry for the length.

• @John41283:

I don’t suppose I’m the only one that’s had this issue, but more specifically for archers: While you are zoomed in and ready to take a shot, you notice someone sneaking up and go to swap weapons… but there is this ridiculous delay where you must first LOWER your bow before it will let you put it away. So here you’ve initiated the “switch weapon” command but instead all it’s done is “lower bow” (bow still equipped). This is a very frustrating bug, and I’m sure all classes have had something similar where the weapon changing doesn’t go through after the command to switch is initiated.

I’m not saying it needs to be instant, I’m just saying if I command it to change weapons; it’s usually because I NEED it to change weapons. This should override any preset condition such as wielding a torch, zoomed in on bow, holding a shield and swapping to a 2h, getting “stunned” and your character “forgets” to swap to the weapon you told him to prior to the first hit. I think this would add a lot to the game play of those with less armor vs. heavies.

You have to release the tension in the string slowly otherwise the arrow will fire. Regardless, this is intentional to make you have to decide if you want to attempt firing one last arrow before an enemy reaches you or if you should just go right to pulling your secondary weapon out. I’d recommend pulling your secondary weapon out.

@John41283:

Now to go to bat for Crossbowmen: add zoom. I find it silly that my “keen archer eyes” fail me when I use a crossbow (though that could just be a bug?). At any rate comments appreciated, sorry for the length.

You can zoom with the crossbow. Unfortunately, zoom is by default bound to the same key that triggers aim (right mouse button). You will need to rebind zoom to another key.

Say you wanted the “o” key to zoom, type this in the in-game console:

setbind o GBA_Zoom

• Isn’t zoom set to both alt and right click still? My alt for zoom with crossbow still works.

On topic: I think this is a good thing and not a bug. If you are caught with your bow still out when an enemy is in melee range, you deserve to take a hit. Pull it out much earlier.

• Global Moderator

@SOC:

Isn’t zoom set to both alt and right click still? My alt for zoom with crossbow still works.

On topic: I think this is a good thing and not a bug. If you are caught with your bow still out when an enemy is in melee range, you deserve to take a hit. Pull it out much earlier.

Those are the archers you have to be careful about in melee. Most people are over confident going into melee with an archer. The good ones always stab when you windup to swing. Its still an easy kill but now you are the one being killed. Not the archer being killed.

An archer in melee needs to be aggressive. Run towards you enemy, stab and then Get a few good swings in. They will be very cautious from then on.