[WEP] The Maul And How To Use It.

• If you are reading this, you may have an interest in using the maul. Good choice! The maul is a powerhouse of a weapon, and in the right hands, can be a very deadly!

Here are some simple guidelines that could possibly help you gameplay while using the maul!

Timing is everything
    Know how much time it takes for a swing to land. Usually, you want to swing very early in order for the hit to land when you actually reach the opponent… Getting used to the extremely slow windup and swing of the maul is one of the biggest hurdles.

Stabs may be weak, but they are useful!
    The stab attack is a bit faster than overhead and makes this a great opener for a stab+overhead combo (which will kill any class if both hits connect to head/torso) Also, the stab attack being faster may throw off the timing for some people to parry. Also, faster opponents may be easier to hit with a faster attack type like the stab.

When against a shield user
    It’s usually best to face hug and overhead trying to get over the top of the shield. If they continue to look upwards when blocking, try to sidestep a bit and get around the shield from the side. The general public game will have a lot of people turtling behind shields and they don’t usually look up…

LMB should be used sparingly
    Most people want to click like crazy with everything… The maul is not a spammable weapon by any means. Overheads are the primary attack style to be effective with the maul… Stabs should be an opener/timing changer.

Mauls are not duel weapons
    Mauls in a 1v1 situation are usually a negative rather than a positive. Personally, this doesn’t stop me from sticking to it, but a secondary may be useful when in a duel.

Facing several opponents
    This is where the maul can really shine… As any fight against several people, know exactly where everyone is and when they attack you. Timing an overhead smash can even out the odds for you in just a single swing! Make sure you keep the enemy’s defense down by goign after one who thinks they aren’t next. Usually this means someone who isn’t being directly looked at or behind you. When you land an attack, be ready for a parry, because most times, someone will go on the offensive after you attack.

Suprise attacks
    A maul is a great suprise attack/flanking weapon because it can one shot several classes and 2 shot any class. If an enemy isn’t suspecting you to be in their face, they might not have their defenses up and not be ready. Interrupting fights can be effective as long as you watch your teammates! They like to get in your way a lot. :lol:

Aggressive playstyle is best
    You want to attack very soon after parrying an attack and don’t give people time to breathe… Spears and other long reach weapons are pretty bad up close, so parry their first attack and go in for the overhead kill! Overhead+overhead combo or stab+overhead combo works very well!

MAA and you
    MAA is probably the hardest to face with the maul if they are skilled… They are much faster than you and can easily land several hits before you can even finish a swing! Footwork is important against them as well as knowing how to aim the swings you can actually finish! If you are unsure you can beat them head on, switch to secondary or move to teammates for support.

The archer menace
    It is part of your job as a knight to destroy all archer scum (except your own team’s of course). Knowing how to fake them out and zig zag effectively is important. When you reach them, you’ll either need to land the overhead blow, or get ready for a toothpick fight. Knowing how to parry a fast weapon is important. It is very easy to be overwhelmed by a flurry of stabs/slashes if you aren’t prepared.

Vangaurds: all or nothing
    It is possible to headshot a mid-charge vanguard, although, it is challenging. You can usually predict when a bad vanguard will charge at you. Know your timing and start your swing a bit early and you will at least land a hit. If aimed properly, will be headshot!

Practice
    Practice is very important to get the feel of this weapon. It isn’t for the weak, but for the strong. Do you want to be strong? Then master this weapon and make some pancakes!

I hope this guide at least helps some. It’s up to you to actually practice and get used to the maul! Any questions? Ask me! I am always glad to help out!

• Awesome tutorial, alot of useful and information here.

But i’ve yet to see people use the maul on a high competetive level, like clan wars. My opinion stands that the maul is a bad and nooby weapon due to the reach and speed.

It does work in high level team games I think. It has the potential at the very least, but i’ve yet to see it.

• Yeah, the competitive level, people shoot for more balance… Sword of war and longsword are most used knight primaries because of their overall balance…

• I would add that you should always be attacking until the enemy blocks, dies, or hits you. You should never throw a single hit and go into recovery, because the Maul’s recovery is extremely long, while its combo times are actually pretty good. Even if you’re struck during a combo windup, it’s better than being struck while in recovery, because the flinch will at least allow you to block in case the enemy is using a very fast weapon which could potentially hit you twice during the Maul’s super long recovery.

• The Maul And How To Use It.
    by Slaughtervomit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 am

A truly accurate and comprehensive guide to making the most of the Maul; as a shield using knight, my most feared weapon. Damn your eyes Sir.

• I knew you would write a guide =P

• @SlyGoat:

I would add that you should always be attacking until the enemy blocks, dies, or hits you. You should never throw a single hit and go into recovery, because the Maul’s recovery is extremely long, while its combo times are actually pretty good. Even if you’re struck during a combo windup, it’s better than being struck while in recovery, because the flinch will at least allow you to block in case the enemy is using a very fast weapon which could potentially hit you twice during the Maul’s super long recovery.

This is true. Heck, a lot of times, people will walk into the second hit like they don’t know the maul can combo :lol:

@Reginhard:

The Maul And How To Use It.

A truly accurate and comprehensive guide to making the most of the Maul; as a shield using knight, my most feared weapon. Damn your eyes Sir.

Thanks, I’ll take that as a compliment! :)

@tlbww:

I knew you would write a guide =P

Would you expect anyone else to do this? ;)

• I feel like I need to add one really important and also very enjoyable thing :D.
    On maps with narrow chokepoints such as Hillside, the path that lead to treb 4 and Dark forest, the tree over the river, you can use slashes with the maul to knock them off these!!! And it doesn´t matter if they block for the knockback is just too big :D :D . This happened to me a few times and it is soooooo extremely funny :D .

• @funthomass:

I feel like I need to add one really important and also very enjoyable thing :D.
    On maps with narrow chokepoints such as Hillside, the path that lead to treb 4 and Dark forest, the tree over the river, you can use slashes with the maul to knock them off these!!! And it doesn´t matter if they block for the knockback is just too big :D :D . This happened to me a few times and it is soooooo extremely funny :D .

Hahaha, yes it is. :D

• Reginhard wrote:
    The Maul And How To Use It.

Thanks, I’ll take that as a compliment!

It’s gone on the Knighthood’s recommended tutorials list; so a compliment yes, just don’t ask me to thank you.

• Bahahahaha. I’d love to fight you, Mr. Vomit. The only high kill counts I’ve seen from a maul user were pretty much surprise attacks or wading into groups of baddies and just slaughtering everyone, including some teammates.

I always feel ashamed when I get killed by a maul user, but that’s because literally none of them have been any good o.o I quickly learned that LMB spam with a maul is pretty strong though, I have to dart in and kick them to guarantee an interrupt; one lack of flinch and I’m chunks on the floor.

• @Daiyuki:

Bahahahaha. I’d love to fight you, Mr. Vomit. The only high kill counts I’ve seen from a maul user were pretty much surprise attacks or wading into groups of baddies and just slaughtering everyone, including some teammates.

I always feel ashamed when I get killed by a maul user, but that’s because literally none of them have been any good o.o I quickly learned that LMB spam with a maul is pretty strong though, I have to dart in and kick them to guarantee an interrupt; one lack of flinch and I’m chunks on the floor.

Well, I won’t say I don’t rush into groups of enemies and slaughter everyone… I tend to avoid tks most of the time… I do get tks sometimes but not too often. Usually the person who thinks they are “helping” me becomes a pancake. :lol:

• Ahaha. I like this thread. I love the maul now. I was trolling around a bit in a 16-player LTS server that was full, and got 23:0 kills to deaths.

• @Slaughtervomit:

Well, I won’t say I don’t rush into groups of enemies and slaughter everyone… I tend to avoid tks most of the time… I do get tks sometimes but not too often. Usually the person who thinks they are “helping” me becomes a pancake. :lol:

I know what you’re talking about.
    In my opinion, the Maul is the greatest weapon to push your team forward or to break defenses. Sometimes I die with my Maul and got like 0/3. Ever tried this tactic? Most Maul users are spamming or lucky guys. They think that you’re on of the easiest targets, right after Archers in melee.

Then you’re going to kill them all.

• @Skalli:

@Slaughtervomit:

I know what you’re talking about.
    In my opinion, the Maul is the greatest weapon to push your team forward or to break defenses. Sometimes I die with my Maul and got like 0/3. Ever tried this tactic? Most Maul users are spamming or lucky guys. They think that you’re on of the easiest targets, right after Archers in melee.

Then you’re going to kill them all.

Mwahahahahaha.

• Go on do another one Slaughtervomit go on,go on go on.

• @Reginhard:

Go on do another one Slaughtervomit go on,go on go on.

I’m really not overly experienced with other weapons, to be honest. I don’t think I would be in a place to write a guide for them… (at least on the same level as the maul guide)

• @Slaughtervomit:

@Reginhard:

Go on do another one Slaughtervomit go on,go on go on.

I’m really not overly experienced with other weapons, to be honest. I don’t think I would be in a place to write a guide for them… (at least on the same level as the maul guide)

Play with the longsword or sword of war for about 35 hours, and tell us what you think, lol.

• I use them sometimes… Not a huge fan, really. They’re just ok.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I use them sometimes… Not a huge fan, really. They’re just ok.

Mmm. I like the range and speed balance of the sword of war for countering enemy vanguards and MaAs, and the longsword is my weapon of choice against other knights with shorter weapons.

Of course, this is all when I’m NOT using maul.