[ARCH] How to not Suck as an Archer in Melee. Plus Tips

• Global Moderator

Many people complain about how the archer is completly usless in melee. You can actually do some serious damage in melee even killing a knight with a dagger. But you have to know what to do.

1. Swap early
    Face it, you probably wont hit the guy running at you trying to put your aiming off. So unless you are Mark Nutt swap to your secondary early. It takes a while to change especially if you already have an arrow in your bow.

2. Be aggressive
    Most people who come to kill you think you are an easy kill and will take a swing at you regardless of what you are doing. Walk or sprint towards them and as they wind up you stab them. If its a charging vanguard you will probably have to block first. If its a pole arm you can move out of the way sometimes and if its a sword you can actually jump over the charging swing. MAA are your hardest targets but they have to get closer to start swinging so stabbing may still work.

3. Keep on slashing
    After your first stab don’t stop being agressive keep getting in close and keep slashing and stabbing. No one complains against an LMB archer so just keep going and try not to miss. If you miss once it may give them time to have a swing at you and you die mostly in two hits. It turns into a normal fight then but they will have a lot less health and they will be very cautious.

This stratagy works very well against people with two handers or people with a shield which slows them down. The MAA is made for killing archers so be careful around them.

Tips

1. The archer is very good at giving support in melee as well. You can step into a fight and not die possibly getting a kill. Archers also have a 50% backstap damage bonus so again very useful for supporting others in melee combat. Dont shy away from a fight.

2. You also make a good decoy in melee too. Since you have the least amount of armour if you walk into people already fighting each other a lot of enemys forget their priorties and will turn to attack you. Keep moving and blocking. Your teamates will easily take care of anyone stupid enough to attack you as they are no longer looking at the one who deals the most damage anymore.

3. For those reasons archers should move up with your team, don’t be that guy missing all his shots at the back, you will get more kills up with your team. Just dont shoot them in the back.

4. A vanguard is your best target to pick in a crowd of enemys. They can do a lot of damage to your team and they are easy to hit and never have a sheild. A heavy crossbow can take them to one HP So if they had fallen just a tiny bit they would die. Vanguards are High Value Targets. (HVT)

5. Always keep moving. Sticking in one spot will mean another archer is likely to see you and hit you. As much as I love using the warbow with broadhead arrows I feel kinda sad for those archers. A crossbow can one hit an archer too.

6. Be careful about wading into some fight as you might get clobbered by your own team. Try and stay on the outside of the fight and jumping in with a stab or overhand and backing out if all hell is breaking lose. You can usually single out a target in a fight and waste him before he turns around. You can be very helpful to your fellow knight or vanguard. And that backstab bonus comes in handy in those fights. You need to see what weapons your team has in that fight and watch if they are LMB spamming or using calculated strikes. Then you decide whether to help or not.

If anyone has anymore tips on how to be good at archer post them here. Also feel free to ask questions. And I suck at using javelins at range so if there are any javelin experts out there please feel free to post. I will add your tips to the list if you have any and put your name next to your tip to credit you.

• i just want to be able to hit something. If people would just stand still it would be easier.

• Use the cudgel as a secondary. Nothing else. At least until the patch comes out with the MAA blunt resistance.

• Use the Saber and be cool =P

Shortsword is good too.

• I <3 the cudgel and rarely ever use anything else, though killing MAA with it is pretty rough. Still, I mostly find myself up against knights and vanguards, as they’re by far the most common classes on the field, and the cudgel will take them down in just a few shots. Overheads are where it’s at, though I throw in the odd poke when appropriate, especially to finish someone off, as people don’t expect it an archer to have that much range with so much speed.

I definitely agree with the point about swapping early. Don’t be afraid to loose a shot that is totally not going to hit if it means you’ll have enough time to draw a secondary, but preferably use Q to save your arrow; also, Q doesn’t produce the “twang” sound effect that alerts enemies that you’ve just fired and are now a sitting duck.

However, I advocate a calm, but assertive approach with the cudgel, at least against heavy classes. Overheads are where its at, as they’re rapid, and easy to land on the head for huge hurts. Three overheads to the head will drop a knight; three overheads of any kind will drop a vanguard (or two to the head and two kicks). Also, a warbow bodkin shot to the chest + 1 kick + 1 overhead to the head will kill a vanguard; that situation happens rather a lot.

The best part about having your weapon drawn early is that most opponents will expect you to either go all wolverine and LMB spam their faces off, or backpeddle while parrying a lot - instead, I like to suddenly run forward and overhead. This almost always lands, and usually flinches as they try to hit you first. I can usually get 2 or 3 overheads in at this pace before they realize that the fight isn’t going to go as they planned; if you’re careful about your timing you can keep them flinched and never let them get off the back foot.

I highly suggest that archers spend some time as MAA practicing this sort of thing. MAA was my first main class, and having that background in melee was a huge help.

I’m happy to see that more archers are standing their ground these days; when I first started playing around a month or so ago, most archers would just run and get cut down from behind. That just won’t do!

• I picked up the saber from day 1 and mastered its reach advantage, which is a very slight strength which can make it an effective weapon; though it is still weak compared to the alternatives.

Now I’m working on perfecting my broad dagger play. The other daggers IMO are not worth it; broad dagger has a very effective stab->overhead->stab nonstop combo, while the Hunting Knife has weak stabs and the Thrusting Dagger has weak overheads and slashes. If the overhead attack for the Thrusting Dagger is ever made a proper high damage piercing attack to fit its animation, though, it’ll definitely be the top dagger.

• @SlyGoat:

I picked up the saber from day 1 and mastered its reach advantage, which is a very slight strength which can make it an effective weapon; though it is still weak compared to the alternatives.

Now I’m working on perfecting my broad dagger play. The other daggers IMO are not worth it; broad dagger has a very effective stab->overhead->stab nonstop combo, while the Hunting Knife has weak stabs and the Thrusting Dagger has weak overheads and slashes. If the overhead attack for the Thrusting Dagger is ever made a proper high damage piercing attack to fit its animation, though, it’ll definitely be the top dagger.

Spacing is great with the Saber, good for support. Takes forever to kill a knight, but it makes it more interesting. Stabs are great.

The Thrusting dagger is a godsend. You don’t need anything more than stab. It’s fast, great range. I stunlock with that thing all the time. I opt not to use it since I find it too easy to kill people with. Dagger wpns aren’t for lmb spam. They are for locking and eliminating single targets. You want to use lmb, use the lite swords. Stab feints are amazing while lmb feints are too predictable.

• Global Moderator

@tlbww:

@SlyGoat:

I picked up the saber from day 1 and mastered its reach advantage, which is a very slight strength which can make it an effective weapon; though it is still weak compared to the alternatives.

Spacing is great with the Saber, good for support. Takes forever to kill a knight, but it makes it more interesting. Stabs are great.

The Thrusting dagger is a godsend. You don’t need anything more than stab. It’s fast, great range. I stunlock with that thing all the time. I opt not to use it since I find it too easy to kill people with. Dagger wpns aren’t for lmb spam. They are for locking and eliminating single targets. You want to use lmb, use the lite swords. Stab feints are amazing while lmb feints are too predictable.

Hunting knife, that was a weapon a used for a while. Its such an in your face weapon. Each strike takes exactly the same time as the enemy flinching. And if you keep on coming with that people will just try to block and fail.

• @lemonater47:

Hunting knife, that was a weapon a used for a while. Its such an in your face weapon. Each strike takes exactly the same time as the enemy flinching. And if you keep on coming with that people will just try to block and fail.

Actually the hunting knife has a .5 second combo time and flinch is only .2 seconds.

• @SlyGoat:

@lemonater47:

Actually the hunting knife has a .5 second combo time and flinch is only .2 seconds.

I’ve used the cudgel since I reached day 3. It’s such a good weapon, but the hunting knife has some comparative advantages - like all daggers have some over every other weapon.

• The only advice I can offer with bows is to expect to miss your first shot, and use that shot to calibrate your second. You will almost always have to lead your targets.

For targets coming toward you, but zigzagging, do not try to follow their zig zag, instead, gauge how wide a distance they are making with the zigzags, such as a span of lets say 6 feet for example. Once you gauge the span, fire your arrows at either the zig, or the zag, but not both.

Please excuse my terribad drawing skills:

[attachment=0:17z819dz]archerlof.jpg[/attachment:17z819dz]

As I try to illustrate, a zigzagger will typically still maintain a pattern to his approach, so it is up to you to choose either his zig or his zag to fire upon as the green arrows suggest.

I hope that makes sense :(

• It does to me. Also, LMB spam with archer secondary TOTALLY works, LOL! I killed about 10 knights with it today.

• I just recently started playing archer (rank 33 and still hadn’t unlocked all the archer stuff) and I must say I’m having a ton of fun with it. Particularly smashing knights’ heads to bits with overheads from the cudgel. And the best part is they often don’t give you the respect you deserve until it’s too late (or you snuck up behind them for the damage bonus XD)

You are also definitely an enemy magnet. The enemy sees an archer and you’ll get half their army running after you thinking “oh goody a free kill,” so you can draw resistance away from the objective to help your team… and then disappoint them by feinting and comboing and blocking like a proper melee fighter.

Actually shooting the damn bows is hard, though. I miss a lot of really easy shots.

• Global Moderator

@Afobik:

I just recently started playing archer (rank 33 and still hadn’t unlocked all the archer stuff) and I must say I’m having a ton of fun with it. Particularly smashing knights’ heads to bits with overheads from the cudgel. And the best part is they often don’t give you the respect you deserve until it’s too late (or you snuck up behind them for the damage bonus XD)

You are also definitely an enemy magnet. The enemy sees an archer and you’ll get half their army running after you thinking “oh goody a free kill,” so you can draw resistance away from the objective to help your team… and then disappoint them by feinting and comboing and blocking like a proper melee fighter.

Actually shooting the damn bows is hard, though. I miss a lot of really easy shots.

It does take a while to get used to the actual shooting part of being an archer. The cudgel is good against armored targets as they have less damage resistance against blunt weapons.

• Alright, I have one thing to say:

MAAARK NUU-UUUTTTTT

• @Cove:

The only advice I can offer with bows is to expect to miss your first shot, and use that shot to calibrate your second. You will almost always have to lead your targets.

For targets coming toward you, but zigzagging, do not try to follow their zig zag, instead, gauge how wide a distance they are making with the zigzags, such as a span of lets say 6 feet for example. Once you gauge the span, fire your arrows at either the zig, or the zag, but not both.

Please excuse my terribad drawing skills:

[attachment=0:3rfw36zp]archerlof.jpg[/attachment:3rfw36zp]

As I try to illustrate, a zigzagger will typically still maintain a pattern to his approach, so it is up to you to choose either his zig or his zag to fire upon as the green arrows suggest.

I hope that makes sense :(

I aim in the middle of the pattern, because it’s usually unclear how fast or how far they’re going to zig or zag, but the turn-in to change directions is pretty much always the same. Wait for them to turn and change directions and lead them just a bit. The best arrow-dodgers just stop all of a sudden, for half a second, to throw off your predictions or make a lot of short twitches, but if they do that a lot, just aim center-mass or at the left or right arm, depending on which way you think he will twitch, because both of those techniques obviously limit their actual movement.

In summary, track your target dead-on as best you can, then adjust to lead him a little when he turns into the middle of the zigzag pattern and fire off your shot. Tracking him right on means that if he stops or starts twitching/jumping/etc, you’re already aimed fairly close to him and can take a quick shot center-mass. Being able to fire either of those shots quickly is obviously a matter of practice though.

This is from the perspective of being fairly close to the enemy, but don’t be afraid to hold your draw right up until he starts a swing; even after the windup of an attack, your arrow will flinch him if you hit that point-blank shot. Especially funny against shield users who advance on you; fire off two or three arrows into their feet, then draw the last one and just stand there, aiming at their chest. They’ll start a swing, which moves their shield out of the way and you have a free shot; you can get easy headshots this way too, but it should only take a chest shot after plinking his feet. The smart shield users will shieldbash you, of course, so this doesn’t always work. Remember to duck if you get hit with your bow out and spam that 2 key!

• Global Moderator

@Daiyuki:

Alright, I have one thing to say:

MAAARK NUU-UUUTTTTT

Ahh someone got it.

• Another archer will see you and hit you. using the warbow with broadhead arrows

I do this ALL DAY LONG.

• I love the Hunting knife as it is rapid enough to keep them stunned and does great damage. Shooting a Crossbow at close range is pretty dumb, stupidly, because the combo of slow arrow speed and lag makes it hard to hit even a close range target, so you are best off just getting your secondary out.

• Global Moderator

@Tankcommander:

I love the Hunting knife as it is rapid enough to keep them stunned and does great damage. Shooting a Crossbow at close range is pretty dumb, stupidly, because the combo of slow arrow speed and lag makes it hard to hit even a close range target, so you are best off just getting your secondary out.

Crossbows are the fastest. Its why they do the most damage. And they are getting another speed boost.