[MAA] Man at Arms Mindset.

• A lot of us struggle, starting to play MAA after getting used to fight as a knight or a vanguard, mostly because MAA playstyle require focusing on completely different things.

To put it short:

1. Learn to evade and survive, kills would come after.

2. Dodge is you main tool - it will save your ass and get you kills.
      2.1) Remember, that dodge is directional tool.
      2.2) Bind it on most convenient button (mouse 4 for me).
      2.3) Dodge, if you parryed feint.
      2.4) Start your weapon swing right before using dodge offensively.

3. Live by backstab, unless you prefer to backchop.

4. Follow the blood. If you sense no blood, leave that full health knight alone.

5. Straight line is a shortest distance between you and death.

To put it less short:
    aXjb8cNt7gI
    TRMA313yYpY

And, of course, this is just a top of an iceberg. Check out YTs of Hexen and Sharantil for more aggressive MAA playstyles examples.

• 3 & 4 sound like a cheap playstyle more so than a tutorial how to play skillfully imo. MAA tear apart knights 1v1, why avoid them unless they’re already hurt? Back hits are effective, but this doesn’t help me play MAA any better, just douchier.

• Mmm, if by playing “skilfully” you mean “winning duels face to face” - yes it will not help much. In your opinion, would it be less cheap if I call it “surprise attack” or “interrupting a fight”?

Will it help to be more useful for a team - certainly, to train situational awareness - certainly, to learn weapons reaches and speed - certainly.

If you consider usual pub-server situation (which what majority of players have to deal with), MAA have to pick targets, that he can destroy very fast, ideally without taking damage in return. Which for your usual beginner MAA isn’t an easy task.

• @zaript:

Mmm, if by playing “skilfully” you mean “winning duels face to face” - yes it will not help much. In your opinion, would it be less cheap if I call it “surprise attack” or “interrupting a fight”?

Will it help to be more useful for a team - certainly, to train situational awareness - certainly, to learn weapons reaches and speed - certainly.

If you consider usual pub-server situation (which what majority of players have to deal with), MAA have to pick targets, that he can destroy very fast, ideally without taking damage in return. Which for your usual beginner MAA isn’t an easy task.

I agree, and I didn’t mean offense by my statement.

I was just saying that if someone is wanting to play MAA, knights are actually not a bad target because they’re slow and back hits are effective, but doesn’t take much skill, just perception… I guess your guide may help new players get some kills, but I don’t feel that 3 & 4 help them become better players is my point.

• I guess, you right, when it comes to dedicated MAA play. Which is why I reference Sharantil and Hexen in the end - they play more skilfully than me.

I worded my advices the way I did, because that is how I started to play a noticeably better. First I shifted my focus from “kill em all” to “let’s live a little longer”, then learned to choose my prey, and now I can win some face to face fights, since I generally feel class better.

So, it is more of a direction tutorial, rather than “how to”, but of course there is more than one way to learn^^

• As a total pussy, not fighting, finishing enemy on the one stab. It’s not skill for me.

• You are absolutely right - using brain to achieve results have nothing to do with skill.

• Zaript, I totally agree with the support mindset for MAA. I play Vanguard the same way where I go around the battlefield picking off enemies that are already engaged by allies. Whereas the Vanguard can use the reach of long weapons to do this, while the MAA can use the speed and dodge to the same effect.

I would say your points 3 and 4 are absolutely the right thing to do in any of the team games, where you want to kill the enemy team as fast as possible. And if a player wants to practice combat skills, they can go to a dueling server.

• @Dagobert:

As a total pussy, not fighting, finishing enemy on the one stab. It’s not skill for me.

I wouldn’t go that far, just not as much glory in vulture killing. Of course, we don’t all play for the glory or the ladies.

• I completely agree with OP, and I play MaA pretty exclusively. There’s nothing cowardly about the playstyle he describes. It’s a skill based video game, not a life or death situation on a battle field to protect your honor.

First off, on the point of fighting knights; the OP got it right, he just didn’t elaborate much. Every playstyle is totally situational, but generally I don’t fight full health knights. Why? Even bad knights I can pretty easily outplay and kill, but it takes a long time. Even when I play perfectly against a knight, especially a shield knight, they take 3-4 hits to kill. If I spammed stab 4 times and landed each hit it still takes a considerable amount of time. So when you include other factors like them blocking, parrying, moving, attacking, etc it takes MUCH longer to kill them, even bad ones. Why does this matter? As MaA you’re fast and squishy. The longer you spend focused on one fight with one target the longer you’re vulnerable to attacks from that knight’s friends. As MaA you can’t afford to spend even 30 seconds on one tagret, you’re going to get hit almost certainly. And if you get hit you’re now a 1 shot kill, which means you either end up on respawn or running away to heal. Plus you have speed – use it. It’s not practical to waste time on a single knight when you can be running around slaughtering many weaker targets.

As for targeting weaker opponent/back stabbing, why not? It’s more important to help your team than have a good K:D, so if you care about an MaA picking up a kill that was “yours” then I suggest you try CoD, not Chivalry. The faster their dead, the faster you can push whatever objective you’re going for. Yes ksing can be annoying, especially since there’s not assists, and it’s excessive and the player is truly not doing anything then I can understand. But otherwise ks = kill secured. If you’re a good player then chances are it doesn’t even matter if they’re low it doesn’t even matter; if they were full you’d have killed them anyway. And lol about backstabbing. Under that logic anyone who disengages, parries, blocks, or does anything other than pretty much lmb lmb lmb is a dishonorable, cowardly scoundrel.

• There’s nothing wrong with attacking from behind when you play to win ;)

• @Martin:

There’s nothing wrong with attacking from behind when you play to win ;)

You’d know all about attacking from behind Martin! ;) haha!

Nice tutorial, your contributing to more half decent MAA’s to face my vanguard :(

• I wonder, if I should have named this “Beginner MAA mindset”. I mean, this isn’t meant to be in-depth tutorial by any means.

I believe, that when someone starts, he can’t keep too much in mind, so it is better to have couple of simple ideas/directions to follow. It will allow beginner to accumulate experience faster, while minimizing frustration of initial powerlessness.

Want it or not, but actual learning still happening of the battlefield. Later one can switch to more advanced guides to fill the knowledge gaps.

• Hmm if you are not using the dodge then you are not using the man-at-arms full potential.

Sharantils link I learnt so much about the man at arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uodyi8bxpp0

• @Martin:

There’s nothing wrong with attacking from behind especially when you are attacking a salty agathian :fight:

fixed

There isn’t much in this guide about MAA support, their true role on the battlefield. …but I forgot people only play solo pub games and claim they are good.

• @gregcau:

Hmm if you are not using the dodge then you are not using the man-at-arms full potential.

Sharantils link I learnt so much about the man at arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uodyi8bxpp0

That’s a great vid

• I’ve watched that video before, and while the guy performs amazingly well, I am 100% sure they nerfed the norse sword. It doesn’t kill vanguards in 2 stabs

• They did. Over all, broad sword seems to be most versatile weapon in MAA arsenal at the moment, as it has reach and decent damage on all types of hits.

• Axes go around shields far easier. A chop from the left or a swing from the right.

Like I’ve said, stabbing is something I never ever plan to do.

I win most of my FFA

• First i started with the Vanguard… After a while i wanted to be better as a archer, so i trained alot with archer… 2 weeks ago, i started picking up the MaA again.
    I did so a few spontanious times but never used the full potential of the MaA.

To be honest, he is a very enjoyable character… Not only the voice is the most fun out of all chars but also the speed and survivability is top notch.

Let me give you some simple survival tips and maybe some offensive tactics.
    I will just try to type something, we will see if its usefull or not ^_^.

Lets start with some important things to know about MaA :

1. You are not a brawler, you are a backstabber, a hunter, a lone wolf.
    2. Stop thinking you can run into a group of vanguards/knights and think they wont harm you.
    3. You are not a frontline fighter, you mostly walk around and kill the pesky archers.
    4. You need to know the range and windup times of every weapon ( not that only MaA needs to know this ), but that is because you want to use the dodge as well as defensively as offensively… If you dogde offensively, you need to know when the attack animation is come to an end of the enemy and you need to be faster than he could parry.
    5. Choose your enemy, like OP said. I aswell dont wanna fight a full health knight… Not that i cant handle him, but they have such a big health pool, it takes alot of time. Besides that, he is slower than you so you can easily walk away from him and find potential weaker targets to kill.
    6. Make use of the mindset that MaA is a coward who will run away when danger appears.
    Well, what i do in a simple way is, make them think you run away, but when they follow you, you can wind up an attack and immediately face them again. It will work 9/10 times. The reaction of the opponent has to be so fast, that the most noobs in pub games are not aware of/have no skills yet.
    7. Try to flank, you are a helper. And a good one in my opinion. You can be the one who will shut down a wind up of an enemy who is trying to make the killing blow. The dane axe is such a heavy hitter, that almost every character who is been hit by the dane axe, gets a stun.

The MaA is the most versatile character of all, because you can be everything… A real one man army. The true enemy is the skilled archer. The lack of health you have is a real issue. But thats what you call balanced.

Best game i played in years… it truly is! 8-)

-Mr. Sharpshooter-