Sword of Severance, not quick scoping with bows please

• I am sure you guys are familiar with (Sword of Severance) an old game by a Spanish Developer. The reason I mention is that it had a very good combat system which no one has got anywhere near since. It required skill and timing and it had also had a strength or power bar which needed to replenish after two or three full lunges with your heavy sword so you had to balance attacks with defence while you regain strength. Some encounters would last a long time while your armour and shield got more and more battered and broken. It was superb. I fear this game might end up with quick scoping with bows and ridiculous jumping tricks and 360 degree spinning axe kills which would be a travesty. I think what you are doing is fantastic, I am not criticizing just hoping it doesn’t end up annoying like a lot of multiplayer games and you stick to the essence of hand to hand combat with heavy armour and the physics involved then you will stand head and shoulders above all the attempts that have failed before and your game will be a classic. Reward Skill, Timing and Patience not button spamming. Good luck guys.

• I’m pretty sure this game won’t be quakeish, don’t worry.

No 360 spinning and jump attacks, there is proof actually for that, go see Age of Chivalry which is something like an ancestor to this game :P

• It would be different from “Severance: Blade of darkness”, which i believe in US was named “Sword of Severance”. I mentioned that game couple times before on the forum. We’ll see if guys from TB take notice of phenomenal fighting, dodging, blocking and stamina system. Alas, CMW has totally different mechanics and solutions from Severance won’t just do…well, not all of them :)

• With sure quake is awesome game .
    Trickjumping and fastscoping are fun to do , they are very usefull & epic .

BUT
    do they fit ChivalryMW’s setting ?
    Just as you see in the devblog videos the movement is not as fast as for quake type (or if you prefer ‘‘game from the quake family’’) game .
    If it was it would be more likely jedi game than knight one .

Of what I’ve seen until now can say we have damn good developers , who really knows what they are doing .

Not able to attack during jump or crouching ?!

I didn’t try it in AoC , haven’t played it so much , maybe you cannot .

My opinion on there should not be such restriction .

I understand why people are afraid of adding jump attacks .
    In many game melee jumpattack is just superior than the so called ‘‘normal attack/s’’ & result of bad developers’ decisions .

In fact jumping can be realised in games to be not advantage or disadvantage , but depending on how you use it .

Wrong jump/jumpattack can be suicide in the right designed gameplay mechanic , it just provides more different options & tactics , not better ;) .
    Same for crouching .

PS. Reasonable/balanced diversity is good thing , isn’t it ?

• please watch gameplay videos from PAX as well as any other official video.

• @Lancebringer:

please watch gameplay videos from PAX as well as any other official video.

I watch them all lots of times .
    PAX one , probably aproximately 100 times , I think there was shown 1 stab in the air .
    Just as I am not sure if there will be equalent of headshot (I suggest we shall call it headcut ) or not (100 % damage , never mind the class , at least achievable with primary weapon) .

EDIT : equivalent *

• @Txc:

@Lancebringer:

please watch gameplay videos from PAX as well as any other official video.

I watch them all lots of times .
    PAX one , probably aproximately 100 times , I think there was shown 1 stab in the air .
    Just as I am not sure if there will be equalent of headshot (I suggest we shall call it headcut ) or not (100 % damage , never mind the class , at least achievable with primary weapon) .

EDIT : equivalent *

as with the previous mod Age of chivalry, headshots with bows and like items, as well as beheading, and brain bashing, is still going to be an integral part of gameplay

• @Txc:

Instagib on headslash regardless of weapon or armour is too much. When you make it not incredibly hard to achieve, it’ll favour the faster, weaker weapons too much. When you make headslashing very difficult, occasional headslashes will be a matter of luck for the vast majority of players. I agree with increased damage, but it shouldn’t entirely disregard the weapon used or the armour it’s used on, imo.

• @Lancebringer:

as with the previous mod Age of chivalry, headshots with bows and like items, as well as beheading, and brain bashing, is still going to be an integral part of gameplay

If I remembered correctly in AoC (Last played very long time ago) there were some 90 % damage hits , but no 100 % .
    Equivalent of headshot is meant . Not that single Headshot is always 100 % deadly in all FPS (in some for example even low damage pistol does just 25% in head for 1 bullet) ,but still usually it is .
    Still not 100 % sure , correct me I f I am wrong , please .

@TheNarrator:

Instagib on headslash regardless of weapon or armour is too much. When you make it not incredibly hard to achieve, it’ll favour the faster, weaker weapons too much. When you make headslashing very difficult, occasional headslashes will be a matter of luck for the vast majority of players. I agree with increased damage, but it shouldn’t entirely disregard the weapon used or the armour it’s used on, imo.

I see your point .
    Faster weapons are different not weaker . Don’t forget weapons have reach , slower weapons are longer & those who play with longer weapons should maintain distance .
    Headshots are matter of luck for the mass player , but are rare for them - no problem .

So the question actually is , if the neck line is so easily reachable as distance , does it require a bit more feeling for reach or not much & is it so easy to swing horizontally at the right height fast enough for the average player or not .

Also knights for example have bigger helmets => probably more narrow unprotected part of the neck (I suggest) .

I guess it won’t be easy to do for the most , so no problem .

• There were actually a lot of 100% damage hits in AoC, and not all of them head to be head or neck hits.

In older versions of AoC head multiplier was lower but neck multiplier was much higher, so the majority of primary weapons could kill in one hit if you hit the neck with their strongest attack. Even the footman’s broadsword could one shot a knight with a neck stab (but not the mace or the archer shortsword).

Currently in AoC the most common one hit kills would be crossbow - bodyshot kills anything less armored than a sergeant, headshot kills everything but a heavy knight; halberd stab - bodyshot kills archers and man-at-arms, headshot kills anything less armored than a sergeant; and axe/hammer overhead which kills anything less armored than a sergeant with a headshot as well but doesn’t do enough damage to kill anything but an archer if you somehow manage a body shot (easier with the stab but the stab also does 5 less damage). And of course a lot of weapons can one hit kill archers with head or body shots including any projectile weapon because archers have negative projectile armor, and the man-at-arms/javelineer are prone to be one hitted by a longsword stab or a well placed javelin.

• expect to see quite a large number of kills from an archer if im on anyone’s server :D