[MECH] Parrying and Blocking

• Now I know this is included in the in-game training, but a lot of people I’ve seen online who complain about blocking not working haven’t done the training, so I’m going to post here:

Aim for the tip of the weapon, as it requires directional blocking.

For those on the defensive:

1. Try not to block at the first sign of an attack. It may be an instinct, but it is a telling signal that a person can easily feint and immediately hit you with a follow-up overhead or something.
    2. If you can’t find an opening to attack, glance at your health bar and figure out if you can take a hit - you will likely be able to get a kick in before you get hit, and expose your enemy for a quick stab.
    3. WARNING: ADVANCED PLAYERS ONLY!! If being attacked from several sides, hit the block button and use your mouse to quickly swirl the camera around - it will parry most, if not all, of the attacks. VERY DIFFICULT TO PULL OFF CORRECTLY, SO BE CAREFUL!
    4. Watch out for hatchets, dane axes and halberds! These are EXTREMELY difficult to block! (credit to funthomass)

Shield users, be warned!

1. Due to current hitbox issues, a Vanguard at close range can actually use model clipping to stab through/past a shield. Be wary of this.
    2. Shields are not magical block-alls - they are directional as well. Try and time it so you only need to hold the shield up for a limited time - if you hold it up for a longer time, it’s likely the enemy will kick you and break your defense.
    3. When a shield is not equipped, it can passively block projectiles from the back - if you’re a knight charging an archer with a shield unequipped, try and turn your back quickly if the archer makes ready to shoot (credit to Coins).

When closing to attack:

1. If you’re a lighter class closing in on a vanguard or knight using their primary, it’s often a good idea to look farther than you normally would to parry their attack - sometimes it can go right past your parry attempt and whack you.
    2. If using a shield and closing in on a vanguard or knight, use the shield sparingly, as they have more stamina than you and can wear you down by simply attacking as you hold your shield up. As I said earlier, use the shield like a regular parry instead of a wall. When in a weapon’s close range hit area, especially a vanguard’s poleaxe (bardiche, halberd, etc), the shield can be a lifesaver - just remember to look further towards the tip of the weapon to ensure a block.

This is all I have for now! Good luck out there, my brothers!

• I also want to add….shield on back can block projectiles… When closing the gap against a projectile user and i don’t have enough time swapping to sheild+1hand. I can predict a throw and turn my back and the sheild will block any projectile. Done this many times and it’s pretty clutch

• Also, watch out for hatchets and dane axes! These are EXTREMELY difficult to block. To me it always seems like an easy work but without a shield I just get cut down like a tree :-D.

• Heh. Thanks for posting the stuff I forgot to add. :D

• I have big problems with the players that attack me very close and fast. Is like they hit me from my sides but I am looking them in front of me. Any tip for this?

• @busa27:

I have big problems with the players that attack me very close and fast. Is like they hit me from my sides but I am looking them in front of me. Any tip for this?

They’re using slashes, usually - you have to aim for the weapon, not the body. Sometimes, it might be your latency.

• @busa27:

I have big problems with the players that attack me very close and fast. Is like they hit me from my sides but I am looking them in front of me. Any tip for this?

As already mentioned, you have to consider latency first. Then of course, block to the side more than you are and see if that helps. It frustrates me to no end sometimes. MAA with that silly warp feature gets me worked up!

Yes i think the warp is silly. Should just make their backstep and sidestep nearly as fast as their forward jog.

• @Warhawk66:

Should just make their backstep and sidestep nearly as fast as their forward jog.

This. I like this. Using the dodge button to initiate a temporary sprint (possibly a bit faster) in every direction. Brilliant.

• @Hadron:

1. When a shield is not equipped, it can passively block projectiles from the back - if you’re a knight charging an archer with a shield unequipped, try and turn your back quickly if the archer makes ready to shoot (credit to Coins).

Ducking and looking down and 90 degrees to the right of your opponent with a tower shield covers almost the entire body. Really quick too ;).

• @nanonurd:

@Hadron:

1. When a shield is not equipped, it can passively block projectiles from the back - if you’re a knight charging an archer with a shield unequipped, try and turn your back quickly if the archer makes ready to shoot (credit to Coins).

Ducking and looking down and 90 degrees to the right of your opponent with a tower shield covers almost the entire body. Really quick too ;).

True.

• @Hadron:

[…]
    3) WARNING: ADVANCED PLAYERS ONLY!! If being attacked from several sides, hit the block button and use your mouse to quickly swirl the camera around - it will parry most, if not all, of the attacks. VERY DIFFICULT TO PULL OFF CORRECTLY, SO BE CAREFUL!
    […]

Depends where the attacks are coming from, of course. Much more useful to position yourself so that your enemies are getting in each other’s way trying to follow you and/or are all in one direction. If they start to spread out, don’t try and block them all, sprint to a new location and TURN AROUND again, since the chase mechanic makes people very fast. Never turn your back for long, but it’s usually far more useful for survival than trying to sweep-block.

That said, certainly, if you see two guys attacking from your right, then the guy on your left joins in, block right and drag left as quick as you can, then sprint for the left for a counter-attack to get un-surrounded. Can certainly save your life.