Bring back the old parry system!

• So anyone that is playing or has played the mod AoC knows what I’m talking about already. In Chivalry:ME, I’m sick and tired of running up to a archer and being parried by his tiny little dagger. (Or worse his fist.) Really?!? There is no way in hell that a dagger could parry a 2H maul. .__. I’m not exactly sure on the percentages but in the mod when a heavy weapon like a 2H maul would get parried by a archers dagger about 50%-75% of the damage would be ignored. That’s the kind of parry system I wanna see in game. :/

• This just would give more advantage to left mouse spam with a big weapon. IMO weapon size and mass should not matter as it has no correlation to a players skill and timing, only his weapon selection. The current system is much more balanced IMO.

• If this was implented the Maul would’ve been the ultimate weapon, as no other weapon could’ve blocked it.

Also,
    -> Block Maul with fists. It’s not even possible.

• The old parry system punished you heavily for blocking and since a lot of fights actually revolve around parrying in this game (as opposed to AoC where dancing was more prevalent over parrying) it would be almost impossible to do anything with low health as it will constantly be chipping away/leading to deaths, and you’d be forced to take a step back and regenerate, as opposed to joining in on the fast paced combat. The severe stamina drain on lighter weapons is enough of a punishment, especially with daggers where you will hardly be able to combo, feint or kick at all in prolonged combat.

• @ATF_E1:

This just would give more advantage to left mouse spam with a big weapon. IMO weapon size and mass should not matter as it has no correlation to a players skill and timing, only his weapon selection.

That’s why real warriors were carrying shield with them. Even a buckler could have stopped maul to some extend. In our game shields are not popular 'coz it’s more effective to parry with your weapon then to block incoming strikes with a shield.

• "by ATF_E1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 pm

This just would give more advantage to left mouse spam with a big weapon. IMO weapon size and mass should not matter as it has no correlation to a players skill and timing, only his weapon selection. The current system is much more balanced IMO."

More of an advantage?? Left click spammers NEVER had an advantage. Balanced or not. I feel as a heavy knight I should easily over power a light armored archer with a small sword.

"by Toans » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:30 am

If this was implented the Maul would’ve been the ultimate weapon, as no other weapon could’ve blocked it.

Also,
    -> Block Maul with fists. It’s not even possible."

Uhh If you played the mod. The hammer could be blocked by 2H swords and shields. So no it would not be the ultimate weapon. You can “parry” any weapon with your fist.

"by Martin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:39 am

The old parry system punished you heavily for blocking and since a lot of fights actually revolve around parrying in this game (as opposed to AoC where dancing was more prevalent over parrying) it would be almost impossible to do anything with low health as it will constantly be chipping away/leading to deaths, and you’d be forced to take a step back and regenerate, as opposed to joining in on the fast paced combat. The severe stamina drain on lighter weapons is enough of a punishment, especially with daggers where you will hardly be able to combo, feint or kick at all in prolonged combat."

How did the old parry system punish you for blocking? You still lose stamina for parrying in both MOD and in the stand alone. only difference is in the mod, If you had a smaller weapon and you parried against a larger weapon you would lose some health and stamina.

• NO NO NO NO NO NO.

This would unbalance things WAY too much.

• @Hadron:

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

This would unbalance things (noob) WAY too much.

noob

• @SixSillysins:

@Hadron:

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

noob

Um, lol? Obvious failtroll is obvious. Go learn to be a decent human being.

• @Hadron:

NO NO NO NO NO NO.

in other words :

To hard for me.

I cant handle such complex situations.

• Stop trolling each other or receive a banmaul to the face.

• Not only would it unbalance things since this game has a lot more focus on block/parry (as was already stated). But don’t forget it may be hard or impossible to full on block a big hammer with a dagger, BUT not all parrying is a block. You could definitely guide or redirect momentum to not get hit. For example, if a maul is coming down at you all the force is going downward, it would be extremely hard or impossible to just stop it’s momentum with a small dagger. But it wouldn’t take much force to knock or push his swing a little to the side as its coming down. Same with a stab coming at you, ever watch a sword fighter defend against a stab? they don’t try to pinpoint block it, they swat it to the side, since all the momentum is coming at them, it doesn’t take a ton of strength to redirect it.

Not to mention misdirecting your swing would probably make you stumble a lot more than just being blocked, giving said archer even more of an opportunity to stick you a few times in the ribs.

• current system makes the combat boring.
    attack parry, attack parry.
    or using a bugged mechanic like the faint.
    dagger is at the moment better then the hammer or axe course of his attack and blockspeed.

this all would be fixed if you would implement the old system again.

• @snickers557:

current system makes the combat boring.
    attack parry, attack parry.
    or using a bugged mechanic like the faint.
    dagger is at the moment better then the hammer or axe course of his attack and blockspeed.

this all would be fixed if you would implement the old system again.

Old system was MUCH worse than the current system, even viewing it from your way.

• please, what was my way? show me it to me.
    it would not unbalance it would “balance” the game.
    course lighter weapons already are the fastest and easily flinch the slow 2h, this is not balance at all.
    It would make the game more intelligent and would force the light classes to be more quick and agile.

• Light classes are already forced to be more quick and agile. If you miss as a light class you are severely wounded or dead. You do less damage and you have less HP. They have to use their speed and agility to counter the reach and damage of heavy classes’ primaries. What your describing would give them an additional disadvantage for picking a light class with light weapons. Hence your idea is further unbalancing rather than the opposite. Sounds to me like you are biased towards Knight/Vanguard always being able to dominate archer or MAA with a smaller weapon. This is highly flawed as not only do they already have their distinct advantages with heavy weapons but they can also switch to fast primary/secondary weapons as well.

And yes LMB spammers would be more advantaged because now the penalty is shifted from spammer to the blocker (who needs to time his blocks too). MAA would have dodge and parry and have no stamina left to counter a Vanguard’s reach.

If you are getting beat by a dagger in melee you need to change your strategy not ask for the game to change around you. The current system is very much working.

• @ATF_E1:

Light classes are already forced to be more quick and agile. If you miss as a light class you are severely wounded or dead. You do less damage and you have less HP. They have to use their speed and agility to counter the reach and damage of heavy classes’ primaries. What your describing would give them an additional disadvantage for picking a light class with light weapons. Hence your idea is further unbalancing rather than the opposite. Sounds to me like you are biased towards Knight/Vanguard always being able to dominate archer or MAA with a smaller weapon. This is highly flawed as not only do they already have their distinct advantages with heavy weapons but they can also switch to fast primary/secondary weapons as well.

And yes LMB spammers would be more advantaged because now the penalty is shifted from spammer to the blocker (who needs to time his blocks too). MAA would have dodge and parry and have no stamina left to counter a Vanguard’s reach.

If you are getting beat by a dagger in melee you need to change your strategy not ask for the game to change around you. The current system is very much working.

Yes its verry awesome working for noobs! Ask the aoc veterans theyll tell you the same story.

• Snickers, here’s an idea: I played AoC somewhat (not very much mind you), but a friend of mine also did - he sank over 500 hours into both these games, each. And let me tell you something: he’s said that the new combat system is MUCH more efficient and fun than the old one. The old one, in both our opinions, needed some major tweaks.

• The old system (AoC) mainly consisted of MAAs with maces running in circles till they went 30 mph and then bashing the shit out of me, while constantly keeping out of range. Sure, lets bring that back.

The only people who cry about the dagger blocking the maul are the shit Knights who can’t even kill a butter-knife wielding Archer. You only want the maul to be unblockable by daggers so you don’t get owned anymore, not because its OP or unrealistic. Blocking a large weapon with a dagger costs huge stamina, all the Knight/Vangaurd has to do is know how to play the damn game and he can easily outclass an Archer in melee. Let’s all cry about everything negative that happens in this game, even though its mostly just player error, call it a bug/OP/Developer Oversight, and make threads demanding it be removed or changed.

• @Oy:

The old system (AoC) mainly consisted of MAAs with maces running in circles till they went 30 mph and then bashing the shit out of me, while constantly keeping out of range. Sure, lets bring that back.

The only people who cry about the dagger blocking the maul are the shit Knights who can’t even kill a butter-knife wielding Archer. You only want the maul to be unblockable by daggers so you don’t get owned anymore, not because its OP or unrealistic. Blocking a large weapon with a dagger costs huge stamina, all the Knight/Vangaurd has to do is know how to play the damn game and he can easily outclass an Archer in melee. Let’s all cry about everything negative that happens in this game, even though its mostly just player error, call it a bug/OP/Developer Oversight, and make threads demanding it be removed or changed.

lol! i can kill them indeed but it sucks and makes no fun this way.
    If i want i can get topscore but its 0 fun playing like that and total sensless bringing such effort for a pubgame…

everyone can win if he tries hard enough its not that big deal it just makes 0 fun that way not for me not for you.

and yeah that maa running in circles, atleast this was creative gameplay not just smashing your left mousebutton omg