Are there any good tricks for unlocking bows quickly?

• I feel like archer primaries are going to take me more time than the other three classes combined. Any specific game modes or maps I should frequent as archer to get the unlocks more expediently?

• Team Objective on defense. Stick with your team, don’t be that guy sniping in the back never hitting anything, and when you’re forced into melee look around for team support - if there’s a big guy in lots of armor the same color as you heading your way, get back and let him fight, otherwise he’ll probably just end up hitting you.

• FFA can be a nightmare for novice archers but I’m sure you will still get kills here and there, possibly faster than TO.

As far as learning how to aim and shoot and basically get better with archer I would say TO is the way to go.

• aim for other archers and aim for bloodied people

• Arcehr class is very fun and I unlocked all the archer weapons first, mostly because a majority of my time is archer or Maa.

For bows, this is probably a bug but when you are beginning to wind the bow string back by holding the button down, hold forward then begin to press shift to sprint so you will retain full sprint speed while aiming with a ready to launch arrow, doing this trick you can’t run before the wind up and if you sprint to late after your aiming it will not work. You must maintain your forward movement to maintain the spiriting speed but you can strafe left and right with a and d, with careful mouse control you can move horizontally. Doing this technique will basically make you a mongol style archer with high mobility. Since your not just standing still waiting to get attacked your less likely to get flanked, your mobility helps escape but best of all it allows you to close distances with flee enemy’s to get better aimed shots. This technique works with all bows but a slight penalty is noticed with the warbow and even slighter with the longbow, the short bow has no movement loss.

Aside form the mobility trick, Team death match is probably the fastest besides objective. Stay away form small sized games or free for all because you’ll have less cover / meat shields for you and the time to kill on the warbow just doesn’t compete with 2 handers. Although long ranged maps favor you the castle map is one of the best, narrow passage ways force enemy to bottle neck so you only need a single knight to guard you and you can take pop shots at enemys. map with the water in the middle and 2 town like complexes of buildings is also nice for the towers and narrow ramps. Bad maps are maps that even if they are long ranged are very open and allow enemy’s to flank you easily or blind side you.

Misc archer tips are shooting the feet of the enemy if they are spiriting at you with a shield up. Keep in mind that shield protection hit boxes are MUCH bigger than the shield model itself so don’t take shots that are slightly off the shield, it will still block. Also even if you want to unlock bows, even your being charged shoot before the enemy is right in your face so you can switch to your secondary. Make sure your using your secondary a lot as well you’ll need it. Use bodkins in large games as most players are knights and vanguards, broad arrows are for countering other archers.

Crossbows should be easy as arrow drop is very minimal and your range is much greater, the light cross bow has very fast reload as well. the passive shield on your back still blocks arrows while reloading so its advised you hide some where and reload with your back towards the enemy archers.

Javelins are hard, the heavy javelins is great for melee when you get it but other wise stick with the main javelin, think of it as a norse sword and just stab a lot, its very good vs vanguards but the buckler is a pain to get used to. use shield bash over head to mix it up and always save 1 spear.

Sorry if a lot of that is obvious but if your new unlocking weapons perhaps one of those things may help your game. Just be persistent and dump time into the class and good luck, its very rewarding to be a good archer.

• Thanks for the tips everyone. Would KOTH be a good gametype, considering everyone crowds around a specific area? I’m usually pretty good about not hitting allies and being patient with the shot.

Also, hail fellow VS. ^ :D

• FFA is in my opinion the best for bow unlocks, the ideal maps for bow unlocks are the throneroom, aquaduct, and cistern maps. I find the grass map is better for crossbows, due to their better range over a larger map.

Try to aim for the head, or at least the torso. And learn to use your 2ndary weapon or just accept the fact that you will be a free meal for some vanguard.

If you practice enough, eventually players will learn that they have a higher chance of survival by ignoring you, due to how hard it is to hit with the bows, than to fight you in melee. In the least you can put up enough of a fight that they will think twice before investing the time in engaging you again.

• Thanks Cove. Do you think the shortbow is better due to maneuverability or the longbow due to damage? I figure I could get one more shot off with the shortbow before having to switch to melee usually…

• Play Team Objective on Stonehill, pick Mason Order. Kill the Filthy Peasants on the first objective. Each kill, is a kill down for your progression.

• @Salad:

Thanks Cove. Do you think the shortbow is better due to maneuverability or the longbow due to damage? I figure I could get one more shot off with the shortbow before having to switch to melee usually…

I prefer the longbow to the shortbow, due to the fact that I prefer to fire less shots but make them count, than to fire more shots and have to strike more than a few times.

My cousin was using the shortbow and shot my archer twice and it still didn’t kill me, so thats just too frustrating in my opinion. I would stick with the longbow until you unlock the warbow. :D

By the way I just tried out the cudgel for an extended period of time last night and am very impressed.

• Usually a good tip is to aim at bloodied players. A crossbow bolt can almost kill a vanguard in an upper body hit, so bloody vanguards are good targets when trying to unlock crossbows. For the longbow/shortbow/warbow, I usually equip bodkin arrows and go into ffa to fire at vanguards and knights who are fighting. They are usually at low health, so 1 hit can usually take care of one of them. I managed to unlock the warbow pretty quickly once I figured that out.

• Funnily enough when I started on the bow I didn’t know you had to hold the LMB down to aim lol.

Once I did that then I could zoom haha.

Then I didn’t know the 3rd person view puts the cross hair in the wrong place…

I generally find its a waste of time if you are firing from too far away.

So I like the maps like defending the castle or defending the pyres - good choke point there.

Yeah shortbow sucks. Warbow is great once you grind it out, took me forever.

• Hit the bad guys

• I get most archer kills on FFA, especially throneroom. Once you get the hang of nailing long range shots and moving targets, it’s not so bad.

• @Salad:

I feel like archer primaries are going to take me more time than the other three classes combined. Any specific game modes or maps I should frequent as archer to get the unlocks more expediently?

yeah kill people