Being killed with a handle

• It’s not just me, and happens a lot, when an opponent is right in front of my face, almost kissing my helmet, and swinging his sword as if there was nobody around, literally killing with a handle.
    There should me minimal distance from which the swing can be taken, and kill can be made.

• Not going to happen due to balance issues.

• Er with many fighting styles the hilt is as much part of the weapon as the blade is.

Also can you imagine how this would actually work in practice? Having absolutely no idea whether your swing would actually do damage or not etc. Add lag and so on to that and it would be a nightmare.

If someone’s in your face, kick em, simple, it’s what it’s there for.

• Still halberd is just a very long sword now , and thats not good at all/ it sgould dmg only where the blade is

• I posted a solution to this issue in a previous thread:
    @giantyak:

If you hold a pole arm horizontal to the ground and strike with the pole to the face its going to do a massive amount of damage. A good solution would be if overhead did minimal damage at close quarter range but that you could then use this alternative attack in close quarters. This would change nothing in regard to balance, but the change in animation would satisfy peoples need to see/visualise a realistic solution.
    To be honest a slightly modified pole arm block animation would look half decent for this attack.

Consider a two handed sword, some weigh 7-8kg (this is an actual weight), swinging down in an arch. -Player A tries to face hug player B
    -Player B is already bringing his weapon down with great force and can pull the pommel of the sword onto player A’s head.
    -Player A now unconscious….

• @BobT36:

Er with many fighting styles the hilt is as much part of the weapon as the blade is.

Also can you imagine how this would actually work in practice? Having absolutely no idea whether your swing would actually do damage or not etc. Add lag and so on to that and it would be a nightmare.

If someone’s in your face, kick em, simple, it’s what it’s there for.

Maybe when kicking doesn’t take an assload of stamina and you can’t still be hit when doing it.

• So Kick would be an invincibility button that you could spam anytime? :P

When someone’s in your face it works quite well to knock them back and gain some distance, then stabby stabby as they run back at you. :)

As to making Halberds only do damage where the blade is, in theory that would obviously be optimal. In practice though with lag and so on, I think it wouldn’t work so well.

• This is, honestly, one of my biggest peeves with this game. The shaft of a vanguard’s polearm being just as deadly as the rest of the weapon. I understand the programming issues behind making it so that only the striking portion of the weapon would do damage, along with the frustration this would bring to the already slightly lackluster Vanguard class, but in a game where the combat feels so authentic, it’s disheartening to be killed by a vanguard by the shaft of the weapon instead of the end that would actually do significant damage.

• @jimhatama:

Still halberd is just a very long sword now , and thats not good at all/ it sgould dmg only where the blade is

I agree, In fact i think there should be different hitboxes depending on where you hit the enemy. Blade being the 100% damage, it should do less damage if you hit it on the handle or on the base of a pole or something to that effect.

I also believe weapon types should have reduce damage per enemy hit depending on the weapon… For instances swords should do, like 15% reduced per enemy, while, pole arms should do like 30% per enemy hit, while blunts should do 50% less per enemy hit, while Axes IMO should ignore the reduces mitigation entirely, that is of coarse if you take hit box into consideration to where the blades are doing the maximum damage only… And if you want to get more technical you could do it % different on every weapon rather than class types.

Numbers may need some testing required, but i would definitely like to see weapons having more advantages/disadvantages to go along with preferences as well… 1 on 1 at a range, 1 on 1 close, all around, or just try and take out as many people as possible with one swing up close or at range.

• There are 2 bases on which I considered this:

Game balance - halberd definitely needs some sort of nerf, even if it’s just reducing the hitboxes.

Realism - no. The hardwood shaft of a polearm could easily shatter someone’s forearm, let alone ribs and such.

• I hope the DLC has sticks as new playable weapons, beside the flail&warhammer.
    Short Stick
    Stick
    Long Stick

Oh what a Glorious Battle :o it would be

• @Rodelero:

I hope the DLC has sticks as new playable weapons, beside the flail&warhammer.
    Short Stick
    Stick
    Long Stick

Oh what a Glorious Battle :o it would be

A war of fricking attrition, lol…

• New beta patch added quarterstaff… I’m so sick of people complaining about the handle of polearms doing damage. OF COURSE IT DOES DAMAGE! Ever been hit with a staff/stick/baseball bat? How about that 1H club? If they make polearm handles do no or reduced damage, then the club and quarterstaff would both have to be just as weak (for consistant logic). Plus, the hitbox for full damage with polearms would be WAYYYYY too hard to time when you bring in ping, lower grade computers, and potential lag/lag spikes.

More on topic. Of course the hilt/handle hurts. You’re getting hit in the face by F-ing steel just like the rest of the weapon (and the maces). Not to mention the fact that many fighting styles back in the day had knights holding their sword by the blade to hit with the blunt hilt/handle when needed. Or in a “bunting” position to block or push with.

TL;DR: That’s like saying that it wouldn’t hurt to get pistol whipped just because the main use of a gun is to shoot bullets…

• @Steel:

New beta patch added quarterstaff……

Correct.
    Another example people might be able to understand better are the weapons that US cops use - The ‘T’ shaped baton. Those are made from hard wood and can deal lethal injuries and break bones very easily.

• Sticks 4the Win!
    Armors got nothing on this… 8-)

• @Rodelero:

Sticks 4the Win!
    Armors got nothing on this… 8-)

AWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 8-) ;)

• @Hadron:

AWWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 8-) ;)

YEAHHHHHHHHH BOOOOY! :)

• @jimhatama:

Still halberd is just a very long sword now , and thats not good at all/ it sgould dmg only where the blade is

This.

Along with a number of other axe like weapons. Or ANY weapon with a head on it.

• @Judge2112:

@jimhatama:

This.

Along with a number of other axe like weapons. Or ANY weapon with a head on it.

Except you realize how MUCH the handle would hurt if swung like that??

• Do you understand how a lever works? If I gave you the choice of someone hitting you with a sledge hammer or a sledge hammer handle which would you choose?

This isn’t about getting hurt by a stick, it is about getting one shotted by a stick when you are wearing armor.

Realistically, if someone is standing a foot from you, just try to hurt them with your polearm before they stab you with a piece of pointy metal. Currently you lose face to face combat if someone with a long weapon just decides to slash, mechanical advantage is ignored…all the weapon does the same damage regardless of whether is it the faster swinging sharp metal bit or the rounded wooden pole moving much slower. It is very frustrating.

Currently, a knight or vanguard wielding a two handed weapon does not need to keep you at range…they just have to keep swinging and spinning. Now whether this is because stamina is meaningless, the flinch system is broken, or the handle of the weapon does as much damage as the blade, it is broken. Aiming with two handed weapons is nonexistent compared to other weapons in slashes…plus if I turn during a stab with say a spear…I get the 100% damage as long as it is still in the forward animation despite the fact that I have basically just tapped the guy on the side of his armor.

In all fairness, CMW does melee better than anyone else out there, but despite it being generally very good this is a major frustration. But, It is not intuitive and highly advantages longer weapons with a good slash because they require the least aiming in the game.