Double question for the developer (VAC & Hackers)

• First:

VAC and server bans. Is VAC protection currently enabled in the game? I am considering renting a server, but need to know if I decide to administratively ban someone that it will be by steam user ID (and can be permanent), and not a useless IP ban.

Second:

I ran into a cheater that is being featured in this video. His steam profile is listed in the video uploader’s comments.
    Why isn’t this individual banned, and what steps are being taken to proactively eliminate this type of scum in the future from ruining your great game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_UwwFLu9c

Thank you for any information.

• Global Moderator

Chivalry is VAC secured.

There is a steam page for reporting hackers.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/chivmod

Only post there if its a live issue and an availible mod will come and sort it out.

Otherwise post on the forums with a video like you have done here. The forum mods will do something about it.

• Steps are being taken to prevent such hacks, the developers are aware and working on it. :)

• (edit: this reply was being typed before above reply. It’s good to know the devs are working on it.)

VAC secured seems to mean squat, and a steam page for reporting hackers is inefficient; it’s better than nothing but not at all an ideal solution. Few people will even know about except some that read the forums, and even less will be bothered to use it. And speaking from experience, it’s discouraging to report hackers, not be told the outcome of the report, and still see the hackers ingame days later. I know that’s how it’s always been in all online games, but it’s discouraging. Why bother reporting at all? How about telling me “yes we observed said individual using a hack, and yes action will be taken” so that I know it’s worth my time to report?

I’m just stating reality here. What’s really needed are proactive measures. VAC obviously does nothing and reporting via the steam page may or may not do anything, we won’t know. I’ve played plenty of games with very few mods online at any given time of day to know that many times there’s nobody even around to respond to a report.

• The servers aren’t moderated full-time, we simply don’t have the manpower for that. There’s litterally only a few of us here ya know! Plus we’ve got the forums to mod too, this is all in our own (voluntary) time.

For myself I don’t even get home from work until after 7pm, following dinner, shower and everything else that leaves me a couple of hours to check the forums and respond to any reports or whatever, (as well as anything in my personal life I need to do that night!). Expecting us to be online and on the servers 24/7 patrolling for hackers is a bit much… Remember this is an Indie game, not by Valve or EA or whatever else. Some people have expected 24/7 telephone hotlines and alsorts heh.

The Steam group is simply there so people know who the mods are and can get in touch with us easily if we happen to be online, so one of us can pop onto the server and remove the person.

As to reporting hackers, this does still always help even after the event (with enough proof) as we can forward information about the user, and the hacks being used to the devs, who are working to build measures to prevent such cheats.

Please note that mods here only have power on the OFFICIAL servers. As I mentioned reporting hacks still helps as we can forward on the info about the hack, but as to kicking or banning anyone, you’ll have to get in touch with that server’s admin if it is not on the Official Multiplay ones.

Substantial hack prevention measures are coming in the next update, which is due sometime this month. As I mentioned the devs are aware and have been working on this. I’d just taken a bit longer cause they’ve had to work that in with the rest of the content patch. :)

• Global Moderator

Its also not easy to find new trustworthy mods. I hate many of the EA moderators. Especially on battlelog. They don’t know what a hacker is they make up reasons to ban you on the forums. Many of them are just trigger happy.

• BobT36 (and others in the thread),

Thank you very much for your replies. I complete understand the indie staffing thing. For me just the fact you guys are acknowledging the problems, and working towards solutions makes it okay for me.

One part of my question still remains unanswered, however. Are administrative bans on private servers by steam ID (effectively making things permanent), or limited to IP banning?

Thanks again for the help here! I love your game!

• @ScreamingWargod:

BobT36 (and others in the thread),

Thank you very much for your replies. I complete understand the indie staffing thing. For me just the fact you guys are acknowledging the problems, and working towards solutions makes it okay for me.

One part of my question still remains unanswered, however. Are administrative bans on private servers by steam ID (effectively making things permanent), or limited to IP banning?

Thanks again for the help here! I love your game!

NetID, which is the UE3 version of SteamID and tied to your Steam account. So yes, unless they buy another copy of the game, they’re banned from your server for good.

• SlyGoat, thank you. All set now.

• @BobT36:

Substantial hack prevention measures are coming in the next update, which is due sometime this month. As I mentioned the devs are aware and have been working on this. I’d just taken a bit longer cause they’ve had to work that in with the rest of the content patch. :)

Now that is very good to hear. It sucks that a lot of times the hackers are smart and only using minor increases to speed and whatnot, not quite enough to notice during normal, hectic play. I even heard someone say “most people think 1.1 or 1.2 isn’t cheating, but fair.”

• WOW, that shit was insane.Not cool though.
    I was telling a buddy the other day about a weapon I thought would be cool if it was in chivalry and that hacker had it, I’m talking about that chained spiked malace, is that weapon in CMW?, or did he make that and import it or sumthing? and will it be in an update later on?
    Also it looked like he had fire arrows too, how is that possible since they are locked atm?

• Flail will be in the next patch, you can probably try it out in the Beta! :)

Fire Arrows were in the Alpha but later locked for balance reasons (bots can still use them though).

They did very minor on hit damage and didn’t fly very far, but set an enemy on fire with every hit, so it was pretty easy to keep them permanently on fire hehe. So yeah they were a bit OP. At that time the visual effects from being on fire were similar to the death ones in that your vision was obscured quite a lot.

I’d like to see them reintroduced at some point but they’d need a lot of tweaking first.

• Well this is y they dont do any hit damage right here
    ; Range Weapon ConfigProjectileBaseDamage Info
    ; 0 - Bodkin
    ; 1 - Broadhead
    ; 2 - Fire
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    ; 3 - Steel
    ; 4 - Javelin
    ; 5 - Default

ConfigProjectileBaseDamage[2]=(Damage=30,InitialSpeed=
    ^^^^^^^^^

All that has to be changed is the value that is 30 for them to do more hit damage, soon as they are released and the server files pushing to client glitch is fixed.
    Since I am running a heavily customized (modded) server I would luv to have them for my server and also every one that plays there would also like them

• Well them not doing damage on hit wasn’t exactly a problem. Their entire purpose was to set things on FIRE. Disorient an enemy and wear them down through slow burning.

Like I said though the length of the fire, the fact that if you hit you could keep someone permanently on fire, the damage they did, and the fact that being on fire ALL THE TIME wasn’t very fun, was likely why they were removed, at least temporarily. I used to love pissing about with them in the alpha purely for trolling purposes.

They had a few more issues than simply tweaking a single damage value hehe. Would require quite a bit of rebalancing. T’was cool though having them in tbh, and I do hope they make their way back into the game again at some point in some form, maybe as a map specific weapon or something I dunno. Just they’d need a bit of tweaking first.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.