Combining medieval armor with modern armor

• I saw the subject of kevlar being applied to plate armor in this thread, and felt the need to start a topic for this type of thing specifically.

Lancebringer mentions that combining kevlar with plate provides good protection. This is true, however, the main issue to tackle when using modern materials is that they are very heavy (at least by the time you get anything with decent stopping power). A standard soldier’s load on the battlefield these days is heavier than a man in full plate armor during the middle ages would have been.

A notable issue with using steel plate is that a bullet is going to damage it no matter what. It’s inevitable. That’s the price you pay for wearing a solid object to take the impact. Layering steel with kevlar is just too heavy and thick to be terribly reasonable. layering steel with polycarbonate backing it has proven to be highly bullet resistant (I know some guys who experiment with stuff like this, don’t ask), as well as lighter than the kevlar option, but is even thicker and bulkier than layering kevlar. In addition, molding the polycarbonate to the shape of the steel plates whilst maintaining the strength of the plastic can be quite challenging. So the steel+polycarb method doesn’t lend itselt well to segmented armor at all, it’d probably work best for something like a great helm or cuirass, but nothing smaller.

As what had been shown with the “dragon skin” vest technology, using scaled ceramic plates which are reinforced to avoid breaking provide absolutely outstanding protection against bullets. It doesn’t get much more heavy duty than that.

Anyone have any thoughts to add?

• Well from my understanding though when the U.S military did trials on the dragon armor though it actually came out worse and is actually banned from use in the us military and we currently use IOTV.

• I remember learning about Dragon Skin armor. I thought it was really cool that they created something from ancient armor concepts that could function in modern combat.
    There was a bit of controversy over whether or not the military’s trials on Dragon Skin were legitimate or not. I heard some say that they cheezed the results against Dragon Skin to save face.

• They did do that it was just to save all the contracts for cheap body armor made by there usual suplyer.

• speculation aside, i have seen what dragon skin can do, but i dont know how it works in extreme climates (which is what a marine told me it failed in)
    In either case, maille with splinted plate coupled with a kevlar vest and helmet would provide a good deal of hybrid armor. But then-again, just make a suit of halo armor out of Bainite treated steel covering high density kevlar/ceramic plate, and you should be g2g :)

• I believe dragon skin is good and it works well, since it can give protection to a certain soldier who might use it.