Where is the incentive to use a Bow?

• Bow - Weak, no shield, slow travel.

Crossbow - Strong, fast travel, minimal drop, shield.

Javelin - Strong, shield, can melee with it.

Bow sucks. I hate trying to unlock the third one with it.

• Bow are weaker than Crossbow and Javelin, it has no shield protection but its projectile speed is in fact second best. Javelins and other throwables have a slower travel speed.

But you really forgot that the Bow has barely any restriction to movement, its fast and there is a reason why the best archers of chivalry chose the warbow infront of everything.

You really gotta practice with the bow in order to be good with them. nothing is for free.

• Global Moderator

I find the bow easier than a crossbow.

• The fact that you don’t have to stare at the ground for 300 years while you reload is reason enough for me.

• Only the third bow slows you down significantly buts that’s a trade off for being able to one shot other Archers.

I’ve unlocked all 3 and prefer using the Short bow. Its fast, doesnt slow you down and you can fire arrows consecutively. Also great for practising your aim as your closer and less likely to hit team mates.

• @manic:

The fact that you don’t have to stare at the ground for 300 years while you reload is reason enough for me.

If you aim at the sky before reloading you’re looking forward during the reload animation.

• The Warbow is the only competitively viable archer primary right now. Warbow fires significantly faster than the crossbow and doesn’t leave you as vulnerable.

Broadhead arrows can’t kill Vanguards in a single headshot, and require 3 body shots to kill Knights instead of 2.
    Bodkin arrows can’t kill archers with a single body shot.

Other than that, damage difference between crossbow and warbow is not enough to change the hits required to kill other classes.

Heavy crossbow kills Men-at-Arms with a body shot, but is so ungodly slow it really doesn’t matter.

• Hasn’t unlocked Warbow, says bows suck. Lulz.

• Global Moderator

@Daiyuki:

Hasn’t unlocked Warbow, says bows suck. Lulz.

He just sucks as archer. And of course he complains that its the class and not him that’s bad.

• @lemonater47:

@Daiyuki:

He just sucks as archer. And of course he complains that its the class and not him that’s bad.

That was the implied portion of my post, yes.

• Global Moderator

@Daiyuki:

@lemonater47:

@Daiyuki:

That was the implied portion of my post, yes.

With text its sometimes hard to see the implied.

Sorry about my slowness.

• Bows fire quicker, especially the short bow. If you are playing a more combat-oriented archer who is closer to the action, not only are you quicker at moving while aiming with the short bow, but you’ll hit the enemy more often, and because the reload is so fast you will be shooting a lot of arrows. You should get a lot of assists as well.

Shorter reload = more shots fired. Faster movement while aiming = being closer to enemies = easier to land hits.

• @Magnianhk:

Bows fire quicker, especially the short bow. If you are playing a more combat-oriented archer who is closer to the action, not only are you quicker at moving while aiming with the short bow, but you’ll hit the enemy more often, and because the reload is so fast you will be shooting a lot of arrows. You should get a lot of assists as well.

Shorter reload = more shots fired. Faster movement while aiming = being closer to enemies = easier to land hits.

I really like the shortbow, but I don’t think its rate of fire is high enough to justify 3 hits to kill a vanguard or MaA and 4 to kill a Knight. It’s also prone to landing leg shots due to the steep projectile drop, which do far less damage for projectiles than for melee - especially against opposing archers who will usually be pretty far away, and a leg shot on an archer increases your hits to kill to 3, whereas if they have broadheads on the warbow or get a lucky headshot they can kill you in one. Also, broadheads on the shortbow are literally worthless, doing nothing but increasing your hits to kill on vanguards to 4 and on knights to 5.

• I agree with the Goat.
    And nothing more was ever here to read… nope, nothing… Move along… :?

• @William:

Fixed.

No.

• LOL?…. I sniped myself kinda xD
    I over-read the little 't in can**'t** so… darn… :D

Never mind then… ;)

• @SlyGoat:

I really like the shortbow, but I don’t think its rate of fire is high enough to justify 3 hits to kill a vanguard or MaA and 4 to kill a Knight. It’s also prone to landing leg shots due to the steep projectile drop, which do far less damage for projectiles than for melee - especially against opposing archers who will usually be pretty far away, and a leg shot on an archer increases your hits to kill to 3, whereas if they have broadheads on the warbow or get a lucky headshot they can kill you in one. Also, broadheads on the shortbow are literally worthless, doing nothing but increasing your hits to kill on vanguards to 4 and on knights to 5.

It seems to be a trend that the faster weapons (which are generally tier 2) are inferior because they lose a hit to kill, which is an exponential loss of power, and only gain a linear amount of speed.

I feel TB needs to give these weapons a far more significant amount of speed over the next option. One HTK should equal far more a %speed increase. The shortbow is currently only .2-.3 faster, whereas it should probably be closer to what it was before last patch. And the same should happen with any other weapon, like the Fork.

On a case-by-case basis, of course. The Fork doesn’t need to be as fast as a dagger… but if it doesn’t get more damage or range, maybe that’s the only option.

• @DrOstler:

Bow sucks. I hate trying to unlock the third one with it.

If there’s no incentive for you, then don’t use it? Not sure why this thread was even made.

• @NikolaiLev:

@SlyGoat:

It seems to be a trend that the faster weapons (which are generally tier 2) are inferior because they lose a hit to kill, which is an exponential loss of power, and only gain a linear amount of speed.

I feel TB needs to give these weapons a far more significant amount of speed over the next option. One HTK should equal far more a %speed increase. The shortbow is currently only .2-.3 faster, whereas it should probably be closer to what it was before last patch. And the same should happen with any other weapon, like the Fork.

On a case-by-case basis, of course. The Fork doesn’t need to be as fast as a dagger… but if it doesn’t get more damage or range, maybe that’s the only option.

Fork should be able to combo. That’d set it apart properly from the other spears and allow it to mix up its two stabs; lead with the slow stab with its significantly longer range, and sprint up closer as you combo into the quick stab.

• Personally, I prefer the crossbows, especially the 1st unlocked crossbow, due to it’s reload speed…. but that doesn’t mean I don’t think the regular bows don’t have advantages.

Besides a faster reload speed, you also don’t have the lower part of your screen blocked off like with the crossbows, thus easier to keep track of your target while compensating for range (raising upward)

And that faster reload speed can save your butt at close/medium range when some crazy guy comes rushing at you.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.