Help With Chivalry On New Laptop

• Okay. I recently got an acer laptop for a good deal (Not a fan of laptop but it is better than this crappy 2004 desktop). I think the laptop is either 2010 or 2011. Idk. But the hard drive is completely new with 300GB Memory and Windows 8.

The laptop has 3 GB RAM, 2.19 GHz duel-core processor (At least I think it is), 1 GB Graphic Card, and Idk the current Video Card in it. However, it didn’t had a lot of useful stuff so I did manage to install 3 out of 4 things that came with Chivalry (The final one requires internet and cannot connect to my home’s dial-up or nearby wifi on this laptop legally). I also got DirectX 8.1 from installing “Morrowind” and got DirectX 9c from installing “Stronghold Legends” onto the laptop. I also spent a few hours on this desktop to download Java 7 and installed it as well but that was for another thing, which is also an issue (This thread is just for Chivalry).

The laptop had already ran the normal UDK Editor/Game program and I have played the “Unreal Tournament 3” that comes with the Editor… And had 16 bots playing on one time. Lagged but it worked. When I try to load Chivalry, I get a black screen and have to force quit it by logging off. Can anyone help me out here?

• Can you please go to Start > Run > type “DxDiag” and click Save All information.

Then attach the log file it saves here. This will list all your system specs and so on.

If the laptop doesn’t have a decent graphics card, it won’t be able to play Chiv.

Minimum Requirements:

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4 GHz) or AMD equivalent, or better
    Memory: At least 2GB
    Hard Disk Space: 3 GB
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 3870 of higher, Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT or higher
    Graphics card memory: 512MB+
    Sound: Windows compatible sound card

• I highly doubt it is the Graphic Card… I don’t really wish to post the whole thing so mind telling me what section I would need to post instead?

• Mainly the first two sections. (Standard specs and video graphics).

You can just attach the file to the post, rather than copying the actual text. :)

• Well. Actually, I think I know the problem. Cause I am getting the same thing if I try to load Minecraft (A black screen).

The problem being lack of the right version of DirectX. I need DX9 (From 2010 if I’m correct) specifically, if I’m correct. I only have DirectX 8.1, DirectX 9c (From like 2006), and maybe DirectX 11. I’m not sure on 11. I think I do not and it is just the highest I can have. I’m planning to get the correct version of DirectX and then see what happens.

• @Jusey1:

Well. Actually, I think I know the problem. Cause I am getting the same thing if I try to load Minecraft (A black screen).

The problem being lack of the right version of DirectX. I need DX9 (From 2010 if I’m correct) specifically, if I’m correct. I only have DirectX 8.1, DirectX 9c (From like 2006), and maybe DirectX 11. I’m not sure on 11. I think I do not and it is just the highest I can have. I’m planning to get the correct version of DirectX and then see what happens.

Well if you can’t figure it out, come back and attach your DxDiag.txt and Launch.log and we’ll see what we can do to help :)

• Still having issues. Though my friend told me it might be because of the game’s default settings and might need to set them to lowest some-how OR that the laptop just cannot run it at all.

As for the DxDiag.txt thing… It doesn’t have a Standard specs section and video graphics section so I am going to wing it and see if this can be used to help at all.

"------------------
    System Information

Time of this report: 1/16/2013, 16:38:19
    Machine name: **************
    Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_rtm.120725-1247)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Acer
    System Model: Aspire 5336
    BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.13
    Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3000MB RAM
    Page File: 874MB used, 5198MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode"

I’ll prolly do the DxDiag thing again here shortly though and see if I did something wrong and got the wrong .txt file or what.

~Edit~

To be honest. I’m starting to think just to find some sort of dealer/etc to sell this laptop to then just buy a new one with Windows 7. Windows 8 is being a pain in the butt and making almost everything impossible for me…

• i play on windows 8 just fine with no problem its just a faster windows 7 when you take the stupid start screen out of the equation i installed a program called classic shell and it puts a start menu where it is suppose to be

• @Dodedrommer:

i play on windows 8 just fine with no problem its just a faster windows 7 when you take the stupid start screen out of the equation i installed a program called classic shell and it puts a start menu where it is suppose to be

Yeah, I don’t know why everyone says its bad, a few tweaks and you got yourself windows 7 but much faster.

ot: you never posted your gfx card specs. what are they?

• At least two of the developers of the game use Win 8.

You also have a single-core CPU. Chivalry needs at least a dual-core or better for the threading libraries and CPU extensions. Chiv won’t run at all on that CPU.

• When I first bought the laptop, I was told it is a duel-core. The person I got it from must’ve lied to me then or didn’t knew.