Shortened Military Scythe

• Anyone who had played M&B probably has seen the “shortened military scythe.”

Not only does it look cool, but seems to have actually existed. The Morgan Picture Bible gives us this image:

http://www.aemma.org/onlineResources/se … eCover.jpg

The shortened military scythe is in the middle, cutting that dude in half.

I’d be very happy if this was added. Perhaps to the knight as a further sword option? Not sure how to differentiate it from the messer, though. Probably less damage/further reach? Or more damage/slower speed? Either way, I think it fits Chivalry’s gritty and brutal aesthetic.

• It’s a good idea, but SlaughterVomit suggested a series of 3 scythes for the Vanguard in his weapons suggestion thread.

• Ah, but as far as I can tell, those are supposed to be polearms. This particular weapon would be wielded as a bi-hander.

• @Nikephoros:

Ah, but as far as I can tell, those are supposed to be polearms. This particular weapon would be wielded as a bi-hander.

Hrm. A bi-hander as in a 2-hander, or a 1 1/2 hander? There’s a difference.

Anyways, I believe you’re thinking of the Kai or something.

• Not a bad idea. It does really show the brutal medieval battlefield. :)

• @Hadron:

@Nikephoros Phokas:

Ah, but as far as I can tell, those are supposed to be polearms. This particular weapon would be wielded as a bi-hander.

Hrm. A bi-hander as in a 2-hander, or a 1 1/2 hander? There’s a difference.

Anyways, I believe you’re thinking of the Kai or something.

“bi” means two. As in binary star. So I mean two hander.

I am unfamiliar with this Kai you speak of.

• /ignorance snip

• @Steel:

I don’t want to be antagonistic here…. but I just want to point out that there is no scythe in your picture, what you are seeing as the handle is the sword blade (blue helmet guy) going through that top guy’s (green helmet) head, and what you’re seeing as the scythe blade is that guy on the left’s (gold helmet) sword cutting the guy in half.

Provided I’m seeing what you’re seeing.

Looks like a shortened military scythe to me. Swords generally don’t have a shape like that.

But what class would this be for? I think it might suit MaA a little more, especially if it was a line of scythes. But then, that would require giving the MaA polearms, which might fit aesthetically, but not gameplay-wise.

Could fit Vanguards, though.

• @Nikephoros:

“bi” means two. As in binary star. So I mean two hander.

I am unfamiliar with this Kai you speak of.

I know what “bi” means. A kai is a short scythe that was used for farming around this time, originating in Japan but spreading across the world.

• Looks pretty beastly if you’re talking about the big weapon in this image.

Looks like a Vanguard weapon. Possibly something that is a little shorter/faster than the swords.

• @AngryDave:

Looks pretty beastly if you’re talking about the big weapon in this image.

Looks like a Vanguard weapon. Possibly something that is a little shorter/faster than the swords.

I was under the impression a shortened military scythe was still a two-handed weapon. That’s a pretty short handle.

The one in M&B was a “bastard” weapon, as I recall. Could be used with shields and also wielded with two hands.

• @AngryDave:

Check out SlaughterVomit’s thread for the Vanguard version. He’s talking about one for, say, the MaA I believe.

• @Hadron:

@AngryDave:

Check out SlaughterVomit’s thread for the Vanguard version. He’s talking about one for, say, the MaA I believe.

I really can’t see the MaA using this. It’s too big.

@NikolaiLev:

I was under the impression a shortened military scythe was still a two-handed weapon. That’s a pretty short handle.

The one in M&B was a “bastard” weapon, as I recall. Could be used with shields and also wielded with two hands.

I think it still is a two-hander. The handle doesn’t look too much shorter than, say, the Sword of War or the Messer. The image from the Gordon Picture Bible shows a much longer handle. Also, I don’t believe it was a bastard weapon. I only recall being able to single hand it while mounted.

Perhaps this could be a 4th sword for the vanguards. Currently, all Van swords are good at stabbing, this could be a slashing focused weapon, mirroring the Messer’s function for the Knight.

Alternatively, this could simply be an alternate skin for the Messer…

• Um, question - what do think will happen if the vanguards get a massively powerful slashing weapon…? WINDMILLS. WINDMILLS EVERYWHERE.

THEY’RE COMING OUT THE WALLS! THEY’RE COMING OUT THE GODDAMN WALLS!!!

• That’s not really a scythe, the first image I mean, I think it’s more similar to a weapon that we call “Romfaia”, the blade of the war scythe is shorter than that but they are similar, you could put them together as unlocks of the same category, that’s a good idea