~~~ BLEEDING AND MEDICS ~~~

• Outline

I think a great game mechanic to add to this already great game, would be the concept of bleeding. Seeing as this game is very much focussed on melee combat, the idea of “one hit kills” isn’t as prevalent as it is in modern FPS games that have guns.

Many times, in melee battles, people died from loss of blood, rather than from a direct stab. Wounding somebody enough so that they will bleed to death was a common tactic used so that warriors could - though indirectly - kill many more people.

Bleeding would need to be carefully implemented, so as to not throw the game balance off. People dropping dead all over the place due to wounds is not the purpose of this addition to the game. Rather, it would mean more strategic play could result, by using this “bleed mechanic” to your teams advantage.

Specifics

What could happen for instance (and suggestions are very much appreciated), would be if I hit somebody twice with a longsword, and then was killed myself from behind, there could be a random chance (generated by server, with the option to increase/decrease likelihood), that the person will suffer bleed damage. Depending on where I had hit them, could also swing the odds in either direction.

The reason I am suggesting that it be a random chance, with balance swing, is so even out the effects this could have on game balance. Bleeding to death, after making a lucky survival would be annoying, but occasionally wouldn’t be too bad.

Obviously, many options could be configured server-wise such as chance of bleeding, limit to number of bleeds per round, weapon chance of inducing bleeding etc. etc.

Various weapons that had jagged edges could have a greater chance of inducing bleeding for instance, as could shields that have spikes mounted on them.

Medics

An almost obvious result of this new mechanic would be a medic class OR a special “bandage” ability. I think perhaps some people wouldn’t like a medic class (or a priest/monk class to fit in with the Medieval theme), so making bandages a special ability (in the same group as throwing axes etc.) could work. When applied on a team-mate that is bleeding, you would gain a certain amount of points, and not to mention to gratitude of your team member. This could add yet more interesting game play opportunities.

–--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I like the idea in theory, but not in practice - case in point, whenever I die of bleeding in TF2, I start yelling about the damn bleeding effect, just because it’s SO annoying.

• You have expanded greatly on my idea thanks.

• As above; I do like the theory of a bleed mechanic but haven’t experienced it in game play so I’m not best placed to comment. I do, however, feel strongly about the “medic class” and I’m completely against any in-battle bandaging on the grounds that I just don’t think it’s realistic.

I’m guessing that you can’t have one without the other, as bleeding would be counter to regenerating. So; I’m anti this suggestion, sorry.

• Bleeding + self-bandage doesn’t sound bad, medics though… :)

I think this one is a bit in the shady zone, between content for a mod and “acceptability” of being implemented here. Talking about mods, if someone thinks of bleeding, you could also add poisoned arrows/daggers :)

• Falling back from the battle and staying passive to regenerate health is basically the same thing as bandaging and such, as you are out of the battle and trying to bring your health back up.

It’s not needed really…. maybe during this existing period of time where you are regenerating health you can have an animation of bandaging going on… just for eye candy, but nothing needs fixing right now as far as I’m concerned.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

Falling back from the battle and staying passive to regenerate health is basically the same thing as bandaging and such, as you are out of the battle and trying to bring your health back up.

It’s not needed really…. maybe during this existing period of time where you are regenerating health you can have an animation of bandaging going on… just for eye candy, but nothing needs fixing right now as far as I’m concerned.

Agreed.

• @Reginhard:

I do, however, feel strongly about the “medic class” and I’m completely against any in-battle bandaging on the grounds that I just don’t think it’s realistic.

How is bandaging unrealistic? I’m not talking about “bandage = instant heal”. Bandaging is only to stop the blood flow/stop the bleeding affect.

It is very realistic! Applying pressure to an area with a thick bandage stems the flow of blood, reducing the affect of bleeding. This is all the medic class - or the “bandages” special “weapon” will be able to do.

Again, in my post I said I wasn’t simply suggesting a medic class, but instead of an extra class, perhaps bandages as a third “weapon” thing.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

Falling back from the battle and staying passive to regenerate health is basically the same thing as bandaging and such, as you are out of the battle and trying to bring your health back up.

Its not the same thing, because if you’re simply standing around waiting to regen health, you’re not actually losing health. With bleeding you are DYING while you’re standing there. There’s a difference.

I think it will also be cool in-game, as in, the more you start bleeding you start to sway, dizziness, stumbling around when you’re on almost no blood or health. The visual affects for this could be quite cool.

Plus, for certain classes (knight?) you could do something where, the more they bleed the angrier they get - essentially making a sort of “blood wrath”, which enhances their damage by a small amount of something, until they eventually bleed to death.

• I am agree with you @KingArthur,

Also I think that it would be good that medic team or like bandaging. When you think the gameplay, when we loose our health, we go far away from the battlefield and wait then we gain our health again. So, instead of this process, we could have a medic team or bandaging for ourselves or another teammate from our team.

Thank you for the thoughts.

• One game I played a lot of was Americas Army.

There was bleeding and you even had to choose the appropriate skill to fix incapacitating wounds to the player back up.

However I did get sick of hearing

“I need a medic.” “Medic, I need a medic”.

and I cant say I would like to see it in Chivalry, I think it would reduce the violence and have a lot more people running around looking for medics.

• @gregcau:

One game I played a lot of was Americas Army.

There was bleeding and you even had to choose the appropriate skill to fix incapacitating wounds to the player back up.

However I did get sick of hearing

“I need a medic.” “Medic, I need a medic”.

and I cant say I would like to see it in Chivalry, I think it would reduce the violence and have a lot more people running around looking for medics.

Plus the fact that realistically, medics didn’t even exist in this time period (field medics, that is).

• @gregcau:

Plus the fact that realistically, medics didn’t even exist in this time period (field medics, that is).

Oh my. Read my post please. My MAIN suggestion was the idea of adding bandages as a special weapon (same category as fire bombs etc). These could be used to heal yourself, or others. The idea of a “medic” as an after thought. In fact, I personally think bandages would work much better. Maybe I need to edit my original post to make this a bit clearer.

• @KingArthur:

@gregcau:

Oh my. Read my post please. My MAIN suggestion was the idea of adding bandages as a special weapon (same category as fire bombs etc). These could be used to heal yourself, or others. The idea of a “medic” as an after thought. In fact, I personally think bandages would work much better. Maybe I need to edit my original post to make this a bit clearer.

No, you don’t. I talked about the bandages earlier (or I think I did) - I didn’t really like the idea that much just because I think it would change the combat system a lot.

Anyways, I was just debating against the people who suggested a medic class.

• @KingArthur:

@Reginhard:

I do, however, feel strongly about the “medic class” and I’m completely against any in-battle bandaging on the grounds that I just don’t think it’s realistic.

How is bandaging unrealistic? I’m not talking about “bandage = instant heal”. Bandaging is only to stop the blood flow/stop the bleeding affect.

It is very realistic! Applying pressure to an area with a thick bandage stems the flow of blood, reducing the affect of bleeding. This is all the medic class - or the “bandages” special “weapon” will be able to do.

Again, in my post I said I wasn’t simply suggesting a medic class, but instead of an extra class, perhaps bandages as a third “weapon” thing.

Whilst, applying pressure to an area with a thick bandage does indeed stem the flow of blood there is considerable debate regarding medieval treatment of cut wounds. I find your modern day assumption that a bandage would be applied is too much of a leap in the dark of me.

Also;I don’t think that you fully appreciate just how hard it was to remove armour. With regard to a full suit of armour many of the fixings and ties required second party assistance.

Putting aside realism and practicality; consider if you will an arrow that has penetrated plate or chainmail, would this be deemed an unbandageable (that’s a new word) wound and result in bleeding out?

Furthermore; what would the bandaging animation be for a Knight taking a Maul hit to the head?

• @Reginhard:

Whilst, applying pressure to an area with a thick bandage does indeed stem the flow of blood there is considerable debate regarding medieval treatment of cut wounds. I find your modern day assumption that a bandage would be applied is too much of a leap in the dark of me.

Also;I don’t think that you fully appreciate just how hard it was to remove armour. With regard to a full suit of armour many of the fixings and ties required second party assistance.

Putting aside realism and practicality; consider if you will an arrow that has penetrated plate or chainmail, would this be deemed an unbandageable (that’s a new word) wound and result in bleeding out?

Furthermore; what would the bandaging animation be for a Knight taking a Maul hit to the head?

If he doesn’t die, he wraps his entire head in bandages but for the eyes and becomes a mummy.

• @Hadron:

If he doesn’t die, he wraps his entire head in bandages but for the eyes and becomes a mummy.

Lol; I rest my case, for the time being at least.

• @Reginhard:

@KingArthur:

@Reginhard:

Trying to argue realism in a game where realism is sacrificed for game-play - is pointless. I’m suggesting something that would add to the gameplay, while being in part realistic, but not entirely. There are many threads that suggest making things more realistic (I have started one if you remember), and people simply turned it down as “ruining game play”. I now see that games are just that - games. They don’t always have to be completely realistic, for the sake of game balance and enjoyability (that’s also a new word).

Most of what I suggest, I think should be togglable (I love new words) from the server, meaning there could be servers with bleeding on/off etc.

• Trying to argue realism in a game where realism is sacrificed for game-play - is pointless.

As you wish; how about the fact that most injuries I sustain as a Knight aren’t cut wounds.

• @Reginhard:

Trying to argue realism in a game where realism is sacrificed for game-play - is pointless.

As you wish; how about the fact that most injuries I sustain as a Knight aren’t cut wounds.

Yes, that’s fair enough, but like I said, the “bleeding effect” will not happen all the time. Plus, it would be cool if not all wounds are bandagable. It would make sense that some wounds are just beyond repair I guess. Or, for gameplay’s sake, all wounds are bandagable, but some take longer to bandage than others. Something like that.