~~~ BLEEDING AND MEDICS ~~~

• I am agree with you @KingArthur,

Also I think that it would be good that medic team or like bandaging. When you think the gameplay, when we loose our health, we go far away from the battlefield and wait then we gain our health again. So, instead of this process, we could have a medic team or bandaging for ourselves or another teammate from our team.

Thank you for the thoughts.

• One game I played a lot of was Americas Army.

There was bleeding and you even had to choose the appropriate skill to fix incapacitating wounds to the player back up.

However I did get sick of hearing

“I need a medic.” “Medic, I need a medic”.

and I cant say I would like to see it in Chivalry, I think it would reduce the violence and have a lot more people running around looking for medics.

• @gregcau:

One game I played a lot of was Americas Army.

There was bleeding and you even had to choose the appropriate skill to fix incapacitating wounds to the player back up.

However I did get sick of hearing

“I need a medic.” “Medic, I need a medic”.

and I cant say I would like to see it in Chivalry, I think it would reduce the violence and have a lot more people running around looking for medics.

Plus the fact that realistically, medics didn’t even exist in this time period (field medics, that is).

• @gregcau:

Plus the fact that realistically, medics didn’t even exist in this time period (field medics, that is).

Oh my. Read my post please. My MAIN suggestion was the idea of adding bandages as a special weapon (same category as fire bombs etc). These could be used to heal yourself, or others. The idea of a “medic” as an after thought. In fact, I personally think bandages would work much better. Maybe I need to edit my original post to make this a bit clearer.

• @KingArthur:

@gregcau:

Oh my. Read my post please. My MAIN suggestion was the idea of adding bandages as a special weapon (same category as fire bombs etc). These could be used to heal yourself, or others. The idea of a “medic” as an after thought. In fact, I personally think bandages would work much better. Maybe I need to edit my original post to make this a bit clearer.

No, you don’t. I talked about the bandages earlier (or I think I did) - I didn’t really like the idea that much just because I think it would change the combat system a lot.

Anyways, I was just debating against the people who suggested a medic class.

• @KingArthur:

@Reginhard:

I do, however, feel strongly about the “medic class” and I’m completely against any in-battle bandaging on the grounds that I just don’t think it’s realistic.

How is bandaging unrealistic? I’m not talking about “bandage = instant heal”. Bandaging is only to stop the blood flow/stop the bleeding affect.

It is very realistic! Applying pressure to an area with a thick bandage stems the flow of blood, reducing the affect of bleeding. This is all the medic class - or the “bandages” special “weapon” will be able to do.

Again, in my post I said I wasn’t simply suggesting a medic class, but instead of an extra class, perhaps bandages as a third “weapon” thing.

Whilst, applying pressure to an area with a thick bandage does indeed stem the flow of blood there is considerable debate regarding medieval treatment of cut wounds. I find your modern day assumption that a bandage would be applied is too much of a leap in the dark of me.

Also;I don’t think that you fully appreciate just how hard it was to remove armour. With regard to a full suit of armour many of the fixings and ties required second party assistance.

Putting aside realism and practicality; consider if you will an arrow that has penetrated plate or chainmail, would this be deemed an unbandageable (that’s a new word) wound and result in bleeding out?

Furthermore; what would the bandaging animation be for a Knight taking a Maul hit to the head?

• @Reginhard:

Whilst, applying pressure to an area with a thick bandage does indeed stem the flow of blood there is considerable debate regarding medieval treatment of cut wounds. I find your modern day assumption that a bandage would be applied is too much of a leap in the dark of me.

Also;I don’t think that you fully appreciate just how hard it was to remove armour. With regard to a full suit of armour many of the fixings and ties required second party assistance.

Putting aside realism and practicality; consider if you will an arrow that has penetrated plate or chainmail, would this be deemed an unbandageable (that’s a new word) wound and result in bleeding out?

Furthermore; what would the bandaging animation be for a Knight taking a Maul hit to the head?

If he doesn’t die, he wraps his entire head in bandages but for the eyes and becomes a mummy.

• @Hadron:

If he doesn’t die, he wraps his entire head in bandages but for the eyes and becomes a mummy.

Lol; I rest my case, for the time being at least.

• @Reginhard:

@KingArthur:

@Reginhard:

I do, however, feel strongly about the “medic class” and I’m completely against any in-battle bandaging on the grounds that I just don’t think it’s realistic.

How is bandaging unrealistic? I’m not talking about “bandage = instant heal”. Bandaging is only to stop the blood flow/stop the bleeding affect.

It is very realistic! Applying pressure to an area with a thick bandage stems the flow of blood, reducing the affect of bleeding. This is all the medic class - or the “bandages” special “weapon” will be able to do.

Again, in my post I said I wasn’t simply suggesting a medic class, but instead of an extra class, perhaps bandages as a third “weapon” thing.

Trying to argue realism in a game where realism is sacrificed for game-play - is pointless. I’m suggesting something that would add to the gameplay, while being in part realistic, but not entirely. There are many threads that suggest making things more realistic (I have started one if you remember), and people simply turned it down as “ruining game play”. I now see that games are just that - games. They don’t always have to be completely realistic, for the sake of game balance and enjoyability (that’s also a new word).

Most of what I suggest, I think should be togglable (I love new words) from the server, meaning there could be servers with bleeding on/off etc.

• Trying to argue realism in a game where realism is sacrificed for game-play - is pointless.

As you wish; how about the fact that most injuries I sustain as a Knight aren’t cut wounds.

• @Reginhard:

Trying to argue realism in a game where realism is sacrificed for game-play - is pointless.

As you wish; how about the fact that most injuries I sustain as a Knight aren’t cut wounds.

Yes, that’s fair enough, but like I said, the “bleeding effect” will not happen all the time. Plus, it would be cool if not all wounds are bandagable. It would make sense that some wounds are just beyond repair I guess. Or, for gameplay’s sake, all wounds are bandagable, but some take longer to bandage than others. Something like that.

• Why are there no polls attached to these threads to see how many “we” actually are? Don’t count me in, i really didn’t like it in that certain other melee game that is currently around. There are enough means to put pressure on an opponent in this game, you don’t need some death-sentence-by-chance mechanic for that.

• @carrion:

Why are there no polls attached to these threads to see how many “we” actually are? Don’t count me in, i really didn’t like it in that certain other melee game that is currently around. There are enough means to put pressure on an opponent in this game, you don’t need some death-sentence-by-chance mechanic for that.

There are polls on the threads that the devs/mods believe deserve one, as they’re OK with putting it in the game. The lack of one suggests either lack of interest, or the belief it would change the core gameplay too much to be feasible.

• I can add a pole to this thread if you want. The devs aren’t the only ones that can add a pole.

• @carrion:

Don’t count me in, i really didn’t like it in that certain other melee game that is currently around. There are enough means to put pressure on an opponent in this game, you don’t need some death-sentence-by-chance mechanic for that.

I think bleeding makes sense for a game like this though. Bleeding was common problem during that time period in battles. Sure, realism isn’t entirely what the game is going for, but it would be an interest addition to game play ,would it not?

Barbed arrows/weapons that induced bleeding, that were very high level items (or even achievement items), could be fun. Plus, during duels, bleeding could balance out many of the annoying elements of the game such as archers blocking huge swings of hammers and 2H’s with their little daggers.

• as for the medic i dont know if they had bandages back then but they did close wounds by cauterization with a red hot iron poker and they also cleansed wounds of infection by pouring alcohol over it, for large wounds it would take longer to cauterize, and for arrows they had tools to remove them and even had a tool to put in the wound to make sure the barb wont cause more damage when pulled out, and you cant stop damage from a mace as it is mainly blunt force but can be healed over time with the current games way of healing

• I… dislike this. I’m not a fan of random effects in games. You can’t plan for them and in the already chaotic mess that Chivalry can be sometimes it’s just too much on top. How much health can a person lose to bleeding? All of it? Then that sucks ass. Someone can get bleed on them early on in a fight, then their opponent just has to hold back and play defensively to get the kill. Not fun for anybody. Due to the chase mechanic the bleeding player isn’t likely to get away from anybody in order to heal. The only way they can win now is to kill their opponent before their timer goes off. Not an easy task if they can fight back. God forbid others are in combat to.

Lets also look at what throwing a firepot on your average player does. A few of them panic. They swing wildly and agressively, making it easier to get the kill. Bleed would be even worse since it can kill anybody.

What might be acceptable, is a saw toothed weapon with a small direct damage and another DoT component.