Macro'ers

• Has anyone ever run into people that you have felt have an unfair advantage through keyboard/mouse macros? I could swear the only people I get destroyed by are using keyboard macros to do some insane feint combos. You can usually tell because they have the same sequence of motions with 1-2 macros they spam over and over. One example I’ve seen is quick double stab feint and then stab with Vanguard. Hard to guard against since the stab is so fast and has so much range. Other example I’ve seen someone from one of the more popular guilds is knight with maul feints attack, then does what I can only describe as the fastest overhand look-down attack ever. This one knight was literally mowing people down with the same perfectly executed feint/overhead combo. Should these kinds of crutches be allowed in pub servers and competitive games?

IMO it gives a huge unfair advantage since most of the game is based on reaction and visual cues. Macros give you some ridiculously short keyboard delays on feints and should be shunned by the community. There may have to be a delay added to feints to prevent these kinds of faster than humanly possible feints from occurring. Opinions and observations please.

• The problem here is that you can’t be sure these people are using macros. Just because their performance seems immaculate doesn’t guarantee that this is the case.

I can understand the feeling, since what you believe is possible is dictated by what you can imagine yourself doing. But I have yet to encounter a situation where I even entertained the thought that anyone was using a macro ,or a cheat of any kind.

Nevertheless, if people are really using macros, how would you stop them? Macro software wouldn’t interact with the game itself, but would just simulate keyboard and mouse input.

• You can use macros, but they won’t offer any advantages. The game has a queue system which renders them absolete.

• I own a G510 keyboard and wanted to create macros for the comm menus (Go for the objective, Forward, Behind us, Sorry, Thanks, etc.) but I wasn’t sure what policies VAC had against them, regardless of whether they’d be able to detect them or not. I sent a couple of emails to Steam asking if they banned for it and all I got was a vague “maybe, probably not, try it but don’t cry if you get banned”.
    (Paraphrased)

• i have the G510 keyboard and i made use of the Gkeys for the in game taught, laugh etc. works just fine!

• To the OP. Yes, very easy. Like the guys who block always and instantaneously. I know what the binds are and I could easily make my own but I don’t use them. I prefer to be good using regular keystrokes not the game doing it for me. I hope they take out this functionality somehow. It’s LAME as hell that people have to resort to cheap crap like this. I thought that gaming was for fun not to win all the time. Why can’t people play with their own skills rather than using a computer to HELP them.

this is only partial… but you get the point…

Bindings=(Name=“RightMouseButton”,Command=“GBA_Feint | DoParry | Onrelease LowerShield | GBA_Aim”,Flag=KBFlag_Weapon,FriendlyName=“Parry”)

Save the file and open up Chivalry. You now have the ability to back out of an attack to block much more easily. It’s not perfect, you still can’t cancel after halfway through the swing, but it does improve the gameplay experience.

There are many others floating around. I love the disclaimer on this page though.

Attention: I’m not sure if this is classified as “cheating” in this game, part of the reason for this thread is to get more community input. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

@Ronin_Warder:

i have the G510 keyboard and i made use of the Gkeys for the in game taught, laugh etc. works just fine!

See that is fine but that’s not the problem, the problem is people are chaining commands and 1 key can do 3+ actions.

@Martin:

You can use macros, but they won’t offer any advantages. The game has a queue system which renders them absolete.

Ya well your queue system is obviously flawed, being disabled, re-routered or doesn’t work. If this is supposed to detract n00b’s, it wont work. You need to search google a bit more. Sorry.

• What’s wrong with one key doing three actions?

• @Martin:

What’s wrong with one key doing three actions?

If it’s ok to do that, then put it in the gui and give EVERYONE the capability to bind multiple actions to keys. If you want it, put it in your game! By all means do it! It shouldn’t be just for people to edit their files. Talk about looking at it with 1 eye open. :?

do we allow drugging in sports so that only some can have more performance?

do we allow race cars drivers to put enhancements into their cars without approval?

do leagues allow macro or scripting?

No we don’t, people get banned. It’s dishonest. Macro’s and scripting simply gives unfair advantage to those who are incapable of playing the game the way it’s meant to be played. To give them an edge over the average gamer. I must say, I’m a little appalled to see your response Moderator. If the dev’s feel the same way as you do, then perhaps you should make it obvious to all those that don’t know and add gui functions to allow people to macro several actions together.

• Bindings=(Name=“RightMouseButton”,Command=“GBA_Feint | DoParry | Onrelease LowerShield | GBA_Aim”,Flag=KBFlag_Weapon,FriendlyName=“Parry”)

Save the file and open up Chivalry. You now have the ability to back out of an attack to block much more easily. It’s not perfect, you still can’t cancel after halfway through the swing, but it does improve the gameplay experience.

I wasn’t even aware this was possible, I assumed people were doing it through their mouse or keyboard software. I’ve only run into maybe 2 or 3 people who I’ve suspected of doing it and can’t really prove, but I could sense there was something unnatural about their playstyle and that’s why I’m bringing it up here.

Also if there is a queue system, I also agree that it’s being bypassed or ineffective. I saw two feints in less than a second follow by a stab in the next second. That would mean they would have to left click, press Q, left click again, press Q, in somewhere around 1 second, followed by mouse wheel up which to me is faster than what seems humanly doable or normal.

• @ATF_E1:

Bindings=(Name=“RightMouseButton”,Command=“GBA_Feint | DoParry | Onrelease LowerShield | GBA_Aim”,Flag=KBFlag_Weapon,FriendlyName=“Parry”)

I wasn’t even aware this was possible, I assumed people were doing it through their mouse or keyboard software. I’ve only run into maybe 2 or 3 people who I’ve suspected of doing it and can’t really prove, but I could sense there was something unnatural about their playstyle and that’s why I’m bringing it up here.

Also if there is a queue system, I also agree that it’s being bypassed or ineffective. I saw two feints in less than a second follow by a stab in the next second. That would mean they would have to left click, press Q, left click again, press Q, in somewhere around 1 second, followed by mouse wheel up which to me is faster than what seems humanly doable or normal.

I just posted an easier one. I’m no stranger to this engine, I was a participant in Epic’s Make Something Unreal Tournament years ago, I know the engine, the configs etc. I knew almost right away after buying and playing the game people were doing this crap. Really too bad because had I known this was possible and in use I’d have never bothered. All this does is turn people off. It’s a slap in the face to all honest gamers.

• @Flukester:

If it’s ok to do that, then put it in the gui and give EVERYONE the capability to bind multiple actions to keys.

It’s in the Best Buy - stop being cheap and go buy better equipment.

Macros aren’t cheating, but they do promote lots of whining. Everyone DOES have the capability to do it, go buy the parts.

Should the government buy you a car so you have the capability to drive?

Cry about macros less. The game has queued commands.

• Don’t waste my time with your pathetic comments man.

Really eh? I didn’t know Best Buy sold scripts you can add to your .ini file. Please show me the ad. Another big mouth who can’t read and then comment.

I’m not talking the even lame gamer who has a programmable keyboard bud, it’s not just a keyboard things it’s modifying the ini files.

My keyboard can do macro’s but I’ve never used it, nor will I ever use it.

My mouse can do lots of things too, but I still use stock settings other than dpi changes.

Sorry I don’t resort to macro’s and scripting. I do it all on my own, my score is my own, it’s not to the credit of my macro’s or scripts. I’d consider myself a pathetic POS gamer if I had to rely on scripts. No when I walk away from playing, I did it on my own. Doesn’t change the fact there are other “ego” maniacs that will stop at nothing to make themselves look better. A real gamer knows your just a new generation of crap gamers who have zero ability to use their fingers other than to pick their arse or their nose.

• My god, if I had the mouse I’d have no idea what to do with it. Does it turn into a little RC bomb car if you push all the buttons at once?

• It might not be seen as straightforward “cheating” as such but part of playing a game is your ability to perform actions as the game is designed. Having one button do multiple actions (with perfect timing) reduces required user input and thus required skill.

Basically, I don’t think macros allow for an even playing field. Anyone using a macro must know they are incapable of consistently performing the action they have pre-programmed or why else would they do it?

It’s all very well saying everyone has the capability to use macros, but everyone has the capability to use hacks. Neither method involve playing the game as it was designed.

• @Flukester:

I’d consider myself a pathetic POS gamer if I had to rely on scripts.

Is this what it’s about for you? That you don’t want to do something, so nobody else should be able to either?

@Flukester:

A real gamer knows your just a new generation of crap gamers who have zero ability to use their fingers other than to pick their arse or their nose.

Get real—config changes to up one’s game are much more prominent in older games than in almost every game since 2005.

I respect the argument as to whether these scripts are legitimate, but you could seriously do that without resorting to insults, whining, and believing to know what Torn Banner thinks (just because they didn’t give you a GUI for many commands doesn’t mean that they want to prevent people from using them). Additionally, it’s not hard at all to feint out of an attack and parry.

• I can’t think of a single macro/config change that would be terribly useful. Even the feint into parry isn’t really useful - you can already bind feint and parry to a single key (in fact by default mouse2 will feint and parry), so you can accomplish that by clicking twice. That extra 50ms difference is not going to matter in combat. You could argue, “But players who do this only have to click once while I have to adapt my strategy to remember to click twice!” - but at the same time remember those players also need a separate key if they want to feint without parrying, so if anything they’re making the game more difficult for themselves, as they have to know which feint key to press in which situation whereas you only have to know whether to click once or twice.

There’s no macro you can use that will allow you to feint twice faster than someone without a macro. Feint has a 200-300 ms cooldown before you can attack again. Nor will any macro be able to perform a lookdown overhead for you any more efficiently than just looking down yourself - again, windup times are at minimum 300 ms, that is more than enough time to tilt your mouse towards the floor. Macros can’t autoaim for you either, and they cannot bypass the turn angle limitation during a swing. So most of what’s described in OP sounds to me not like a macro but an experienced player. There really aren’t that many people who have mastered Chivalry’s combat system, so it makes sense that upon playing against one you’d assume he was doing something to give himself an unfair advantage; I’ve played with and against players doing the kinds of things you consider only possible with a macro, and they certainly don’t use them. There are always small inconsistencies in their play that you’ll notice if you play with them for more than one round.

The only config changes I’ve personally made was to set my Alt key to narrow field of view down to the minimum when pressed and back to 110 when released, so that I don’t have my zoom reset when reloading an arrow. That’s probably the most abusive thing you can do.

Edit: And what Martin means by the queue system is, if you press 2 keys quickly, they’ll perform the action you intended one after the other. You don’t have to perfectly time it. This is why you can combo by just clicking a second time at any point in your release. It’s not a system that delays orders to make macros obsolete, it just allows you to “macro” with normal keystrokes.

• Good technical explanation Sly. I will try to grab a video next time so I can analyze it better, just looked odd to me. Thanks.

• @Wobbler:

My god, if I had the mouse I’d have no idea what to do with it. Does it turn into a little RC bomb car if you push all the buttons at once?

the reason I got this mouse was because I could change the shape. You can make the mouse wider or longer. I have big hands and I’d cramp up my hands after playing hours with logitech mice.

My basement is dark’ish and the lit keyboard helps me, especially after a bunch of beers. Haha!

• @Ronin_Warder:

i have the G510 keyboard and i made use of the Gkeys for the in game taught, laugh etc. works just fine!

I know they’d work well, it’s just that Steam’s answer didn’t exactly fill me confidence. Especially since they have such a strict policy of never unbanning a banned account.

• @SlyGoat:

I can’t think of a single macro/config change that would be terribly useful. Even the feint into parry isn’t really useful - you can already bind feint and parry to a single key (in fact by default mouse2 will feint and parry), so you can accomplish that by clicking twice. That extra 50ms difference is not going to matter in combat. You could argue, “But players who do this only have to click once while I have to adapt my strategy to remember to click twice!” - but at the same time remember those players also need a separate key if they want to feint without parrying, so if anything they’re making the game more difficult for themselves, as they have to know which feint key to press in which situation whereas you only have to know whether to click once or twice.

There’s no macro you can use that will allow you to feint twice faster than someone without a macro. Feint has a 200-300 ms cooldown before you can attack again. Nor will any macro be able to perform a lookdown overhead for you any more efficiently than just looking down yourself - again, windup times are at minimum 300 ms, that is more than enough time to tilt your mouse towards the floor. Macros can’t autoaim for you either, and they cannot bypass the turn angle limitation during a swing. So most of what’s described in OP sounds to me not like a macro but an experienced player. There really aren’t that many people who have mastered Chivalry’s combat system, so it makes sense that upon playing against one you’d assume he was doing something to give himself an unfair advantage; I’ve played with and against players doing the kinds of things you consider only possible with a macro, and they certainly don’t use them. There are always small inconsistencies in their play that you’ll notice if you play with them for more than one round.

The only config changes I’ve personally made was to set my Alt key to narrow field of view down to the minimum when pressed and back to 110 when released, so that I don’t have my zoom reset when reloading an arrow. That’s probably the most abusive thing you can do.

Edit: And what Martin means by the queue system is, if you press 2 keys quickly, they’ll perform the action you intended one after the other. You don’t have to perfectly time it. This is why you can combo by just clicking a second time at any point in your release. It’s not a system that delays orders to make macros obsolete, it just allows you to “macro” with normal keystrokes.

I don’t know how to reply to most of that without knocking heads but macro’s and scripts aren’t for precision they are to save you from hitting keys. That is an advantage plain and simple.