Why wasn't stab LMB by default?

• So much friendly fire and team killing in this game due to newbies could’ve been avoided if, by default, Left Mouse button did a stab rather than a slash.
    WHY Blizzard, WHY?

• Get your devs right. This game was made by TORN BANNER, NOT BLIZZARD. Plus, LMB is for slash because a slash is by far the most common attack by any melee weapon ever. And thus, the most used.

By the way, try NOT failing whenever you try and troll - your name and obvious failure to get the right developer gives it away. :P

• @Hadron:

Get your devs right. This game was made by TORN BANNER, NOT BLIZZARD. Plus, LMB is for slash because a slash is by far the most common attack by any melee weapon ever. And thus, the most used.

By the way, try NOT failing whenever you try and troll - your name and obvious failure to get the right developer gives it away. :P

was also the most requested by Age of Chivalry fans to be changed to a different key, we expected that the balance for it would be terrible, but hoped that there was common sense to not bind an attack that is better than other attacks on most weapons would be bound to something different than the fire, hit, action key for every game lol.

• @Hadron:

By the way, try NOT failing whenever you try and troll

Well he managed to get a serious respond out of you - I’d call it a success.

• @poiuasd:

@Hadron:

To be fair, he is living his life w/o a head.

It’s not easy being headless. /word2some1smother

• @tlbww:

@poiuasd:

@Hadron:

To be fair, he is living his life w/o a head.

It’s not easy being headless. /word2some1smother

Bwahaha. Anyways, even if I respond to a message I know is a troll, I take it seriously - I like to have SOME faith in humanity, at least.

• @Hadron:

Get your devs right. This game was made by TORN BANNER, NOT BLIZZARD.

The Blizzard part was a joke, I’m sorry you thought it was easier to conclude I was trolling or confused rather than being humorous. Also the name is coincidental and the original argument still stands as it is an important one regardless of your failed attempt at ringing the troll alarm.

@Hadron:

Plus, LMB is for slash because a slash is by far the most common attack by any melee weapon ever. And thus, the most used.

Kind of getting into the realism vs gameplay balance here. Okay so in real life most of the weapons in Chivalry are used with slashing motions yet we have several examples of realism being sidestepped for gameplay purposes - since when was stabbing with a hatchet a viable move IRL or knights in half-plate being able to sprint (even without stamina) indefinitely etc.

As Saraski implied, after AoC, it should’ve been practical to change LMB to something else by default for this game.
    Surely during the beta and even now after experiencing the influx of Xmas sale newbies, everyone can see that there would’ve been much less FF if every low ranked player, who skipped the tutorial, LMB spammed stab rather than an attack that cleaves your opponent and multiple teammates.

• Global Moderator

It would feel weird scrolling and doing a slash. The movements of the mouse kinda correspond with the type of attack you do. Scroll up stab and scroll down overhand. And LMB is the main attack button for any FPS game and most third person games. So its common knowledge.

I just yell at my team to use the scroll wheel. It actually works.

• @lemonater47:

It would feel weird scrolling and doing a slash. The movements of the mouse kinda correspond with the type of attack you do. Scroll up stab and scroll down overhand. And LMB is the main attack button for any FPS game and most third person games. So its common knowledge.

I just yell at my team to use the scroll wheel. It actually works.

You and I are on the same page here, lol.

• I’d bet you if the game came with left click for stab by default, from the beginning, almost no one would’ve been complaining that it felt wierd having to do a scroll movement for a slash.

• @Sir:

I’d bet you if the game came with left click for stab by default, from the beginning, almost no one would’ve been complaining that it felt wierd having to do a scroll movement for a slash.

Simply because that’s what they’d be used to. It’s the same here.

• I’d bet you if the game came with left click for stab by default, from the beginning, almost no one would’ve been complaining that it felt wierd having to do a scroll movement for a slash.

It doesn’t matter all that much - people don’t use LMB because you can easily click it. People use LMB because that button is making slash attacks, which are pretty powerful. Changing slash to scroll would simply make people use scroll more to make slash attacks.

• @Hadron:

@Sir LMBalot:

I’d bet you if the game came with left click for stab by default, from the beginning, almost no one would’ve been complaining that it felt wierd having to do a scroll movement for a slash.

Simply because that’s what they’d be used to. It’s the same here.

Exactly my point.

It can still be possible to stop the next generation of low ranks from making you rage.
    Change it on the next update so that anyone who buys the game from that point will have Stab and Slash swapped around by default but everyone who already has the game will not have their current keybinds changed?

@Holy.Death:

It doesn’t matter all that much - people don’t use LMB because you can easily click it. People use LMB because that button is making slash attacks, which are pretty powerful. Changing slash to scroll would simply make people use scroll more to make slash attacks.

You’d be surprised how many people spam slash not because it was a powerful cleaving ability but because it was bound to their left mouse button.

• You’d be surprised how many people spam slash not because it was a powerful cleaving ability but because it was bound to their left mouse button.

And the fact it’s the easiest way to hit somebody (or the whole group of people) has nothing to do with this? I mean, how to determine which one is the cause or the effect? I agree people might use LMB because it’s LMB and thus easy to press (and spam, especially against groups of enemies), but another possibility is also very likely - that they use it because it’s very efficient in combat for long weapons and from my experience in games I’ve seen people do things to maximize their results.

• LMB is slash by default because it’s the most noob friendly attack - it hits a lot of targets, or has a higher chance of hitting the target in front of you, but does the least damage.

• @Martin:

LMB is slash by default because it’s the most noob friendly attack - it hits a lot of targets, or has a higher chance of hitting the target in front of you, but does the least damage.

Thank you for confirming what I forgot to add. Lol.

• Yeah, I think a more likely reason for LMB spamming is because slash is easier to hit with.

Also, I have to admit, if everyone got really good and nobody ever got TK’d anymore, I’d be really sad. It would take away (what I feel) is a relatively big part of this game’s charm and would take away a lot of very comical moments. Like when someone comes in and chops 3 heads off, one of which is an enemy, then types in chat “it was worth it sorry guys”. That’s just funny stuff, it wouldn’t be the same if it were gone. Same reason I hope they don’t take out or give the option to turn off friendly fire. Nobody would ever have it on if it could be off, it just wouldn’t feel like Chivalry anymore :(

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.