Picking up weapons

• Picking up thrown weapons is a nice touch and I’m glad that I’ve discovered it 300 hours into the game, it’s surprising to find out something “new” after sooo many battles.

Still, I do have a couple of suggestions that would, in my humble opinion, improve this function. Firstly; a knife is a knife is a knife, so it’s a pity that I can only pick up my knifes and axes. Ok; as much as I’d like to be able to carry the starting ammo and any that I find along the way, I do appreciate that it might be difficult to programme the ability to have more than 4 knifes/2 axes if picked up and still prohibit collecting additional ammo from the ammo boxes. Consequently I’d be happy with the current carry limit if you insist.

Secondly, I think the current walk over pick up mechanism could be improved by making the pick up a conscious action and animating it. I’m not sure if it is possible pull thrown weapons out of walls/trees etc; if it’s not, it should be, imagine the animation of pulling an axe out of a tree. It would also add a risk/reward aspect as it has to be at least 0.5 sec to complete the action, maybe more.

Let me take this one stage further and suggest the ability to pick up arrows and cross bow bolts. I’ve logged a few reduced arrow/bolt ammo gripes after the last patch and this would be an interesting way to pacify the grumbles. In an effort to ram home my point; it’s also a totally realistic aspect of medieval warfare eg. Battle of Towton, Azincourt to name but two. Obviously; I’d recommend that the crossbow bolts can be fired from the long bows but the arrows can not be fired from the crossbows; another realistic touch.

I never, never, never play as archer so I’m not best placed to comment on how useful this would be, however, I’m pretty sure you would have archers picking up arrows during a lull in the battle in any event.

• This is a good idea. It will make the battlefield more realistic. For example when you’re a archer and you have no ammo. You don’t have to go all the way to the other side for ammo. Just pick them off dead bodies. LOL

• Agreed. I like this.

• I never run out of bolts or arrows. I usually die before then though if I don’t die the arrows all all the way over there by the enemy so your probably gonna die anyway. An ammo box is usually closer.

Though with javelins it could be very useful, I always run out of them.

• come play on the RUBBER DUCKYS MODDED MATRIX MAYHEM server
    We got low gravity and tons of stuff thats modded like everything to do with ammo and more, you get 6 knives and 4 throwing axes, 100 arrows that fly 5 times faster and faster crossbow arrows and faster javelins and more jav ammo, plus all the classes are a bit faster there too, also we do slow motion matches every now and then too which is very epic, ppl seem to luv the server, its definately a diff style of play but very fun once u give it a chance.Im usualy on everyday so give me a shout if u join if i havent welcomed u already.
    I also agree with ur idea on picking up the weapons, that would totaly be cool and just add to the awesome game play

• @WARSAW:

come play on the RUBBER DUCKYS MODDED MATRIX MAYHEM server
    We got low gravity and tons of stuff thats modded like everything to do with ammo and more, you get 6 knives and 4 throwing axes, 100 arrows that fly 5 times faster and faster crossbow arrows and faster javelins and more jav ammo, plus all the classes are a bit faster there too, also we do slow motion matches every now and then too which is very epic, ppl seem to luv the server, its definately a diff style of play but very fun once u give it a chance.Im usualy on everyday so give me a shout if u join if i havent welcomed u already.
    I also agree with ur idea on picking up the weapons, that would totaly be cool and just add to the awesome game play

:jrazz: Naaaaaah I will stick to the regular servers.

• @WARSAW:

come play on the RUBBER DUCKYS MODDED MATRIX MAYHEM server

Thanks for the invite; much appreciated, the thing is I think my picking up weapons suggestions would add realism. Your mod server sounds like a right laugh but I don’t think it’s what myself or the Knighthood are looking for.

That said I will take a look just the same. Regards.

• This was posted on the Knighthood forum…

Also, the ability to pick projectiles from dead bodies… e.g. If you are an archer and you ran out of Bodkin arrows, but you manage to stab another archer with the same arrows in this case bodkin, you should be able to pick up their arrows, or half maybe?
    Would be a lot better for if there isn’t an ammo crate nearby. This could also apply to throwing axes, if the enemy / team mate hasn’t used theirs and have the same types.

I’m tempted to take this one stage further and suggest that as missile weapons remain"live" for a while now there would be no need for ammo boxes at all. You would be pulling axes out of trees; knifes out of the back of the fallen, arrows out of the ground etc. etc. etc.