Firepots?

• Am I the only one who thinks firepots are a little… inferior, considering you have to give up a shield or even throwing knives to be able to carry one around? Speaking from personal experience against firepots, I barely ever even worry if I get hit by one, especially as a knight, knowing it will take a third or even less of my health away, which, if the man at arms threw it from far away, will regenerate in part before the battle comes. It just doesn’t feel strong enough. And even if we say that the burning damage is satisfying, they don’t seem to do area denial all that well either. Now I’m not 100 percent sure on this, but after the initial explosion, walking into the fire no longer causes people to start burning, as if after hit by the pot? Why is that? If you were to catch fire whenever you walked into the actual fire, it might make them more balanced and work as area denial in tight quarters as they presumably were supposed to. Don’t they deserve that buff?

• They are okayish if you use them on clumped up people, you get kills most of the time.

What I think would be great is to use them as a temporal zoning tool (fire on ground for more time)

• @OmmNomNom:

They are okayish if you use them on clumped up people, you get kills most of the time.

What I think would be great is to use them as a temporal zoning tool (fire on ground for more time)

Maybe.

• I feel like direct hits are what would need more of a buff. I do agree they feel weak, but i don’t think they’re supposed to be overly strong. If they were too strong, MAAs would be flocking to it like vanguards and halberds getting those cheese kills.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I feel like direct hits are what would need more of a buff. I do agree they feel weak, but i don’t think they’re supposed to be overly strong. If they were too strong, MAAs would be flocking to it like vanguards and halberds getting those cheese kills.

Much as I like the idea of the AoE damage staying there longer, I gotta agree with Slaughter on this one.

• Yeah, I probably would disagree with the direct hit burning damage buff myself- it may seem weak at the time, but anymore and it’ll seem too much, particularly on the low health classes. However, the area of effect could use a buff- the fire should, in my opinion, burn longer, and if you step into the fire, you should burn just as much as if hit with the direct hit. That way it could be a perfect tool in objective maps, serving to deny passage through an area for a limited time. Say, on hillside, the Agathians want to take the 1st treb and an MAA could throw fire on the narrow stairs, temporarily discouraging the masons from using the quickest path to defend it, or risk getting burned in the process.

• @Velociraptor:

Yeah, I probably would disagree with the direct hit burning damage buff myself- it may seem weak at the time, but anymore and it’ll seem too much, particularly on the low health classes. However, the area of effect could use a buff- the fire should, in my opinion, burn longer, and if you step into the fire, you should burn just as much as if hit with the direct hit. That way it could be a perfect tool in objective maps, serving to deny passage through an area for a limited time. Say, on hillside, the Agathians want to take the 1st treb and an MAA could throw fire on the narrow stairs, temporarily discouraging the masons from using the quickest path to defend it, or risk getting burned in the process.

I’d say make the fire on the ground only deal 2/3 of the damage as a direct hit, because you’re not covered in burning oil like a direct hit.

• I think the direct hit needs a buff or extended duration and the aoe as it is. I think it should be near a kill like 85-90% damage for a successful direct hit seeing as you have 1 and two axe hits = 1 kill.

• Not helpul that getting a direct hit doesn’t even light them on fire most of the time currently.

• @RickyChavez:

I think the direct hit needs a buff or extended duration and the aoe as it is. I think it should be near a kill like 85-90% damage for a successful direct hit seeing as you have 1 and two axe hits = 1 kill.

Well, they are supposed to be a counter to shields… What kind of damage would you say is fair against someone behind a shield? They do move slower and it makes them a much easier target… Direct hitting a tower shield is easy.

@sharkh20:

Not helpul that getting a direct hit doesn’t even light them on fire most of the time currently.

I KNOW!!! I hate that crap!!! :x

• firepots are fine, punishes grouped up people really hard and is easy to aim so it’s basically free damage most of the time
    the aoe damage is fine, it lighting people on fire for full damage is dumb
    sometimes yeah direct hits at their feet don’t light them on fire which is dumb but the damage allows for 2shotting of knights pretty consistently

• It would make more sense also to have headshots deal more damage because the oil would be running down more of you like if you were in the shower… Except it isn’t water, it’s burning hot oil…

• @Slaughtervomit:

It would make more sense also to have headshots deal more damage because the oil would be running down more of you like if you were in the shower… Except it isn’t water, it’s burning hot oil…

I just imagined that, and it is HELL… (side note: I CAN imagine that because I was once in a car wreck where my leg was covered in oil and burning)

• @Hadron:

@OmmNomNom:

They are okayish if you use them on clumped up people, you get kills most of the time.

Maybe.

Hadron cut down on the spam a tad please. “maybe” is hardly a useful post, spesh on the balance section.

Post counts mean nothing. :P

• @BobT36:

@Hadron:

@OmmNomNom:

Maybe.

Hadron cut down on the spam a tad please. “maybe” is hardly a useful post, spesh on the balance section.

Post counts mean nothing. :P

Hah, okay. Here’s my personal opinion: the fire staying on ground for as long as it does right now is fine. No need to change that. However, it does need to set people on fire for a biiit less damage than a direct hit.

• I love to play as MAA with firepots. They really are a situational tool. Throwing them into a FFA melee can steal you a kill or two. In TO it can be good for keeping groups of enemies from blocking an objective. People get angry when you do these things, but to be fair - the pot only does about 1/5 - 1/4 damage and is hardly a win-free kill unless the opponent is already low on health. It is appropriate for the MAA’s hit-and-run, light armor, small weapon concept.

That said I would suggest a few changes:

-Enemies on fire should actually appear as such.
    -Dead bodies should stop screaming (this gets eerie and annoying at times)
    -There’s a bug where the fire doesn’t activate when hitting certain uneven pieces of terrain or objects (like the rocks on the Stonehill map or the planks in the sluice on Dark Forest). This should be addressed.

• @YW:

Yes. I’ll have to agree it gets really creepy when you realize the dead body is screaming for help. The first few times I noticed that I actually tried taking a stab at the body to make it shut up. >_>

• I think it’s fine. You can deal much more damage with the throwing knifes, but the fire pot is extremely easy to land, can affect multiple enemies and you only have to throw one, which means you can generally use it in any fight without having to worry about getting hit as you try to line up shots like you would with the knifes/axes.
    I never really bother aiming directly at players, but if it did some extra damage on a direct hit, that’d be cool.

• Some clans use them pretty efficiently to give themselves a small but poignant advantage in scrims. (Looking at you Interitus :D ) I don’t think they really need buffs or nerfs, but it would be cool if the people set on fire…were actually set on fire.

• @Machofish:

@YW:

Yes. I’ll have to agree it gets really creepy when you realize the dead body is screaming for help. The first few times I noticed that I actually tried taking a stab at the body to make it shut up. >_>

NO! This is the only reason to equip firepots, the screams and the SCREAMS, you can still hear them wailing as you kill their friends, it’s glorious.