[MAA] How to WIN in FFA!

• I made a video of me playing a FFA and I think that if you are ready with your pause button, you can pick up some bread & butter strategies for kicking ass in Free For All mode. I sped up the video during the downtime so it’s much quicker for your viewing.

Important stuff:
    ***I don’t go for a kill/death ratio. I go for wins. I play very aggressively, I don’t spend alot of time regen life, I use the speaker sound to help me locate fights

-If you find yourself in a crowded server (the ones over 16 players), you will probably find yourself better off with a fire bomb instead of a shield. Obviously, find a few players fighting (Preferably low on HP, and toss the bomb at them) Other than that, you still play the same. In some ways it’s even easier because players are much less cautious in a crowded FFA.

-Be ready to pause my video to read the text. It’s fairly basic stuff, but I see so many MaA doing terrible. Maybe I should do voice commentary? This is the first time I’ve ever made a video like this and it was kind of practise for Darkfall pvp videos I hope to make.

-Don’t use the larger shield, the few times it could save your ass are not worth the slowness and the increased stamina useage. You need to be able to get back to swinging asap. I could be wrong, but it seems like shield bash is faster with the buckler as well.

-Don’t do everything I do in the video. I recorded numerous wins, but I chose this particular video because I do sooooooo bad at parts. I thought those parts were good advice to… when you see me die like a chump, don’t do that stuff lol. I’m bad for running right into a big cluster and dieing first, or mistiming when I should start a swing and die on my windup.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltzIorHnR4
    watch in HD!**

Not so important stuff:
    FFA is my favourite because you have little downtime between fights. It can be really frustrating though, especially as Man at Arms (MaA) because you are so squishy, and unlike a vanguard or knight you typically don’t get to the top of the scoreboard by running up to a group and swinging through all of them. I usually choose lower population servers, I like the ones that are 14 or 16 max.

MaA is my favourite class because you have to perform well to do well, no LMB slash through a crowd and get triple kills (maybe once in a blue moon).

Disclaimer
    I’m no genius at this, or pro. I have never tried to give serious advice before, so please be gentle if I did a shitty job :)

• All the shields are bugged at the moment and you can attack without putting your shield down. So all shields including the tower shield are the same speed.

• MAA strat in FFA is pretty straightforward.

Firepot = win

I cam into a game at the last 3 minutes and got top marks nuking groups. It’s really the best way to get kills in a crowd.

That, and hunting hunting down small groups. I really don’t think this needs a guide though…

• This will come off as rude, but I really don’t believe you. You get 1 firepot per life, finding a nice group with low health guys is difficult, and in 3 minutes theres no way you got enough kills to win a match (20+) unless everyone was standing still. Firepot is extremely poor indeed for racking up alot of kills in wide open maps or low pop servers. If you have 16+ FFA, go for firepot. Otherwise I suggest a shield will serve you better.
    fraps or didn’t happen.

Outside of myself, I see very few MaA winning FFA. Theres usually <5 MAA in a match, and seldom do any actually win. They probably do really well, win most of their 1v1, but they don’t actually win.

So IMO, most people DO need some kind of guidance to win FFA. Plus I wanted to make a video, topic was first decent thing that came to mind.

• @lemonater47:

All the shields are bugged at the moment and you can attack without putting your shield down. So all shields including the tower shield are the same speed.

Good to know. Are you certain this happens 100% of the time? Patch will change this as well, i believe.

• <small>@Crum1y:</small><br><blockquote>This will come off as rude, but I really don’t believe you. You get 1 firepot per life, finding a nice group with low health guys is difficult, and in 3 minutes theres no way you got enough kills to win a match (20+) unless everyone was standing still. Firepot is extremely poor indeed for racking up alot of kills in wide open maps or low pop servers. If you have 16+ FFA, go for firepot. Otherwise I suggest a shield will serve you better.<br />fraps or didn’t happen.<br />.</blockquote><br />I didn’t believe it either but it did happen (2 days ago in fact). Granted, I was playing 32 pop server with a bunch of 20<x ranks if that would mean anything. It’s quite believable since:<br /><br />1) People cluster<br />2) You time you pot after the big classes lunge in.<br />3) You’re a good shot with the firepot (me)<br />4) You still kill stranglers.<br />5) You can refill the firepot<br /><br />It was on the Stonehill (or whatever) map [kill peasants]. Top kills were me at 17 and the everyone at 16 or less. I spammed firepot about 2 or so per life and suicided. It was luck, but it was the best way to get kills on groups.<br /><br />And it wasn’t rude to be skeptical. I didn’t record the game b/c even I didn’t think I woudl win with 3 mins left =/. It did change my play style from k/d to spam firepot and suicide

• Heh, that’s pretty cool. I don’t usually play that high because they put a bad taste in my mouth when I started chiv. I try to go after 1v1s more, as fast as possible, and it’s easier in lower pop servers. I do like the fire bomb though. So many whiners …. :D

• Looking at the video, I don’t see the hype for 3rd person combat…. even in FFA. Watching the video, it’s difficult for me to specifically see what kind of attack is going to occur towards me.

Not only is my character blocking much of the area my enemy is located, but I’m also distracted by my character’s animations.

I find 1st person much easier, even in FFA, as I don’t require a wider angle of view to see everybody around me, I just need to see what’s in front of me and keep my ears wide open for anybody coming from the rear or sides… I’m also much more accurate with where I’m going to attack.

The easiest way to win in FFA??

Come in from behind and take out weakened players already in battle 8-)

Most of what I saw in the video (skimmed) is a lot of M1 swinging (not all mind you)… and you taking out a lot of people already weakened from an existing battle which you came up from behind… or you took them out while they were chasing someone else and not aware of you until it was too late.

It seemed to me that when it came to being in a 1 on 1 match, you did about 50/50.

In the end, you only won by 2 kills, 22 vs. the guy below you at 20, and had two more deaths than they did… so you didn’t really win by much and could have easily been sheer luck of who got the hit in first.

That’s not knocking your tactics any or your suggestions, but I guess I was expecting a bit of a more spectacular domination ;)

• How I FFA. I have almost 250 hours of play and usually MAA and consistently finish top 3 in FFA, quite often winning.

Try to avoid the bigger fights. All it takes is one errant swing from a Heliguard and you’re probably screwed.

Don’t be afraid to die. You have paper armor and respawn times are relatively short. There is no shame in death and I have come back from many bad starts to win.

If you do find yourself drawn into a larger fight try to stay on the outskirts and hit them.

If you find enemies closing in, start backing up and let them distract eachother. 2v1 or more is horribly difficult and your ability to mop up is excellent.

I use a shield. It protects you from roaming archers and allows you to turtle and back up when you start getting crowded. You have to be more careful with your stamina so dodge sparingly.

Weapon selection is important! Falchion, Hatchet, or War Axe. You will two hit any MAA or archer, 2 hit Vans in the head, and 3 hit Knights. This is very important since every moment you spend trying to kill one person is time another will be zoning in on you. You can also two hit any van by hitting them with a War Axe overhead and another swing/overhead, rather than requiring 2 head shots which can be hard to accurately achieve sometimes.

Target priority are your softer targets and those hurt. Safety takes priority if someone else is determined to get you, you’re not going to get a kill with someone swingin’ at your face when you’re not looking.

In actually fighting you want to use any trick you’ve got. If you’re playing to win then honor is for scrubs (Although even I’m partial to a fist fight). strafe around their side to get beyond that block. Use the alt swing since the shield defaults on the other side and you’ll more often hit them there.