Am I the only one embarrassed for this game?

• 6m9fha-zhFk

Even the noobiest of noob chiv players look more exciting and less ridiculous than this… It looks so inorganic it scares me…

• The first thing that made me facepalm is the stupid amount of HUD crap all over the screen. Looks like Chivalry has this game beat in every aspect. Of course, this is just speculation based on the video footage.

• Do not want.

• I almost bought that game b4 I found this. I’m not embarrassed for it though. That game is an amazing aspiration in the genre and does a lot for what it wants to do.

The only games I’m embarrassed for are those nasty hentai games X(. Rapelay? Seriously, humanity is so far gone.

• Did anyone say rape?

• @tlbww:

The only games I’m embarrassed for are those nasty hentai games X(. Rapelay? Seriously, humanity is so far gone.

Then you’ve heard of Tentacle Monster Penetrator 4: The Rapelay Edition?

• Helmet overlay in 3rd person?

Is he holding the axe with the blade facing himself?

• I do like the idea of doing that slash from the bottom. Would like to see more weapons do that in Chivalry.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I do like the idea of doing that slash from the bottom. Would like to see more weapons do that in Chivalry.

Some of the sword combos do that for the overhead attack which would mean that the alt attacks do that from the start.

• @ReMixx:

@Slaughtervomit:

I do like the idea of doing that slash from the bottom. Would like to see more weapons do that in Chivalry.

Some of the sword combos do that for the overhead attack which would mean that the alt attacks do that from the start.

Wrong ReMixx, no sword does that. Polearms, however, do. If you did anything but stab spam with your beloved halberd you would know these things ;)

• @SlyGoat:

@ReMixx:

@Slaughtervomit:

Wrong ReMixx, no sword does that. Polearms, however, do. If you did anything but stab spam with your beloved halberd you would know these things ;)

I could have sworn that the great sword did it. There is some weapon out there that has an overhead combo that swings upward.

If you use LMB/swing people complain. If you use mouse wheel up/stab people complain. I don’t care what you say goat. Go back to playing with your quarterstick.

• I think I puked a little in my mouth…… how many frigging hits does it take to drop someone?

I stopped watching after 1 min… reminded me of some old fighting game like Soul Edge or Tekken in the Arcade, back in the day… with all the pop up award text and garbage.

and yeah, the helmet overlap over 3rd person is ridiculous. What’s the point of simulating having a helmet blocking your view when you’re already in 3rd person to see a completely different perspective, thus more view than… oh screw it, this game looks all stupid and such.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

I stopped watching after 1 min…. reminded me of some old fighting game like Soul Edge or Tekken in the Arcade, back in the day… with all the pop up award text and garbage.

I’d take Tekken over this abomination any day. No contest.

• I love this community :queen:

We all think a like! :berz:

Chivalry = :fight:
    WOTR = :stab:

• I played WotR quite a but before Chiv was released, in beta even. I touched it exactly once since then.
    Some fun facts: The helmet overlay is actually important to “balance” since players usually run around in tank plate armor (purchasable by several thousand ingame gold pieces, happy grinding) and the tiny face area is the only hitzone were you deal any real damage. If you cover that up with a visor, you are close to invincible, the obstructed view is supposed to counter that. You should see the UI when wearing a frogmouth helmet. Hits that dont hit straight in the face will usually glance of the armor without doing any damage. If you manage to do damage with an attack, you’ll have to do an average of four more of those (if you can’t afford some pricey uber weapon of doom). Except if you are truly lucky and your strike caused bleeding. Because that means that if you dont let your opponents run away and bandage, they will die within a few seconds. Otherwise they’ll be back to full health within a few seconds (if they unlocked the proper perks). Archery is fun, but only because it’s ridiculously simple to completely rule servers with a crossbow. Once you unlocked the proper perks and weapon addons, of course (am i repeating myself?). Then you’ll be able to reload about 4x faster than a player who’s starting out and get a zoom mode that puts sniper rifles to shame. 200m headshots? Not a problem.
    I could go on. :D

• @carrion:

I played WotR quite a but before Chiv was released, in beta even. I touched it exactly once since then.
    Some fun facts: The helmet overlay is actually important to “balance” since players usually run around in tank plate armor (purchasable by several thousand ingame gold pieces, happy grinding) and the tiny face area is the only hitzone were you deal any real damage. If you cover that up with a visor, you are close to invincible, the obstructed view is supposed to counter that. You should see the UI when wearing a frogmouth helmet. Hits that dont hit straight in the face will usually glance of the armor without doing any damage. If you manage to do damage with an attack, you’ll have to do an average of four more of those (if you can’t afford some pricey uber weapon of doom). Except if you are truly lucky and your strike caused bleeding. Because that means that if you dont let your opponents run away and bandage, they will die within a few seconds. Otherwise they’ll be back to full health within a few seconds (if they unlocked the proper perks). Archery is fun, but only because it’s ridiculously simple to completely rule servers with a crossbow. Once you unlocked the proper perks and weapon addons, of course (am i repeating myself?). Then you’ll be able to reload about 4x faster than a player who’s starting out and get a zoom mode that puts sniper rifles to shame. 200m headshots? Not a problem.
    I could go on. :D

Its funny how the WoTR fanboys always try to call Chiv the COD of medieval games, when they have perk systems and unlocks that stretch the gap between new and vet players. Also that helmet blocking out screen is rather silly, because in real life your eyeballs move independently from your head, so you’d have a lot more vision out of a visor than what is in the video. Furthermore, why does its look like two puppets fighting in awkward stances waiting to release attacks?

• @ChuckingIt:

Its funny how the WoTR fanboys always try to call Chiv the COD of medieval games, when they have perk systems and unlocks that stretch the gap between new and vet players. Also that helmet blocking out screen is rather silly, because in real life your eyeballs move independently from your head, so you’d have a lot more vision out of a visor than what is in the video. Furthermore, why does its look like two puppets fighting in awkward stances waiting to release attacks?

Master Thesis

What drives that feeling of Superiority in the WotR crowd

1. WotR is based on a specific time and goes to great length providing an arsenal that represents your typical 15th century war gear. Maps are usually modeled after historical battle sites. Chivalry on the other hand has a fantasy setting, but though with realistic medieval weapons. I value gameplay much more than background story, and I’ve seen far worse than Chiv. So who cares?
    M&B showed that if you focus time and effort on an innovative gameplay concept instead on polish you can attract a huge fanbase that in the end produces more content for the game than a small studio ever could.

Which leads to
    2. WotR has a directional block & attack system that is much like the one introduced by m&b. Foot movement direction or mouse look direction at the time of initiating windup determine the nature of an attack or block. The thing is, while this system will make melee combat complex it’s also very inaccessible. If you use the mouse you have the 360° movement of your mouse broken down into four zones, which is rather clumsy really. The better players retain their freedom of movement by performing really short parkinson-style mouse movements, but most new players are glad if they managed to perform an attack windup they actually intended to do and run around like that until they meet an enemy to release it. It makes MP games look really ridiculous. This is true for M&B and WotR both somewhat, but the animations in M&B look more fluid than those in WotR. The long optimizations show. Long story short, the fan crowd WotR usually has M&B experience and they are so used to that melee system that they don’t even notice anymore how clunky it is. I think they confuse inaccessibility with depth.

Lastly
    3. Horse combat. Again, borrowed from m&b, some people can’t seem to live without ponies, having them in a game is apparently a value of it’s own. But M&B does it way better than WotR.

• Thanks for your insightful reply. I have not played WoTR because of how bad the gameplay looked to me. Nor have I played M&B which may explain why it looks even more ridiculous. Hope you keep adding great knowledge to the forums.

• @ChuckingIt:

Thanks for your insightful reply. I have not played WoTR because of how bad the gameplay looked to me. Nor have I played M&B which may explain why it looks even more ridiculous. Hope you keep adding great knowledge to the forums.

Be careful what you wish for. ;)

• The ranged combat was good :archb:
    (Atleast I liked it in the closed beta)