Colorblind Option Please :)

• Hi, I’m sure my issue isn’t something that will affect many others, but I’m colorblind and when playing team modes I’m pretty much forced to go Mason every single time. Because of this I try to avoid team game modes and exclusively play FFA.

Reason: When ever I play on the Agatha team I have an extremely difficult time distinguishing the red from the blue armor. When I play on mason I’m easily able to tell who the blue characters are because my colorblindness doesn’t have many issues with blue (This is just me, other people who are colorblind can be different)

Possible Solutions:
    1 - Most Ideal) Add a colorblind option to make the red on the mason team much more visible / vibrant. The current colors are hard to explain why they bother me, but I feel if they were a much brighter red then I wouldn’t have much trouble. Right now I usually spend like 5 seconds or so looking at someone on the mason team to figure out if they’re an enemy or not.

2 - Less Ideal) Allow us to make client sided player skins

3 - Least Ideal) Add a colorblind option to show the character name above teammate’s heads.

• I am good with this idea. It will be easier not only for colorblind people, but for people who cannot see good. It will be brighter and easier to see.

• I think this is a great idea!

• Seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to implement. I’m not colorblind, but would it be easier for a colorblind person if the colors were changed to something completely different than red/blue? Just wondering.

But as mentioned it seems like something that would be easy to implement and beneficial overall to the Chivalry community.

• There is a colorblind console command that changes the colors of everything on the screen. I played with it once. Not sure how useful it would be since I’m not colorblind. I don’t remember the command and I’m on my phone so I can’t check now. If you shoot me a PM reminder, I can go look for it when I get a chance.

• @ReMixx:

There is a colorblind console command that changes the colors of everything on the screen. I played with it once. Not sure how useful it would be since I’m not colorblind. I don’t remember the command and I’m on my phone so I can’t check now. If you shoot me a PM reminder, I can go look for it when I get a chance.

‘colorblindsim’ is the console command… it may not help at all :)

• So I played around with the colorblindsim command and some of them were pretty helpful.

I like some aspects of the switchhud command such as names about players who are nearby, but the inability to see your scoremenu or deathnotices are pretty bad. Plus the different crosshair for it is pretty weird.

It seems like the switchhud command is more suited for spectators than actual gameplay.

@Carl:

Seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to implement. I’m not colorblind, but would it be easier for a colorblind person if the colors were changed to something completely different than red/blue? Just wondering.

But as mentioned it seems like something that would be easy to implement and beneficial overall to the Chivalry community.

It probably would be best to completely switch the colors from red and blue to something more colorblind friendly like white and green, but I wouldn’t expect that to really happen because the whole colorscheme of the game is based around agatha being blue and mason being red.

But yeah, changing agatha to white and mason to green would probably benefit the most amount of colorblind people.

• @KEIS:

So I played around with the colorblindsim command and some of them were pretty helpful.

Any in particular that you plan to use on a regular basis?

@KEIS:

I like some aspects of the switchhud command such as names about players who are nearby, but the inability to see your scoremenu or deathnotices are pretty bad. Plus the different crosshair for it is pretty weird.

It seems like the switchhud command is more suited for spectators than actual gameplay.

The other hud that you get from this command is the default from the UDK example game. It needs to be removed completely from the game (oversight) :)

• @ReMixx:

@KEIS:

So I played around with the colorblindsim command and some of them were pretty helpful.

I’m probably going to be using #2 everytime i play now.

Unfortunately, I need to type this command in (or bind it to a key) on every map change.

• It depends on what sort of colourblindness you have. I am red green colourblind. Red and green look very similar to each other. I only found out a few years ago too as apparently red and green are completely opposite colours. Not to me. The masons don’t blend in with the grass and I don’t consider them camouflage so its all good.

• @lemonater47:

It depends on what sort of colourblindness you have. I am red green colourblind. Red and green look very similar to each other. I only found out a few years ago too as apparently red and green are completely opposite colours. Not to me. The masons don’t blend in with the grass and I don’t consider them camouflage so its all good.

I was diagnosed with protanomaly so using that option with the colorblindsim command really helps make the colors more distinguished on the mason characters. I’ve never seen a developer have so many options for the colorblind. I’m actually very pleased with how well it works for me

• @KEIS:

I’ve never seen a developer have so many options for the colorblind. I’m actually very pleased with how well it works for me

We got you covered ;)

• It’s funny because colorblindsim isn’t meant to be a color blindness mode. It was created to simulate different types of color blindness, for testing purposes - to see how the game would look for color blind players, and try to minimize the disadvantages of colorblindness in the base palette of the game. It’s neat that it can also serve as a sort of color blind mode though. Good thing someone forgot to disable it :lolz:

• @SlyGoat:

It’s funny because colorblindsim isn’t meant to be a color blindness mode. It was created to simulate different types of color blindness, for testing purposes - to see how the game would look for color blind players, and try to minimize the disadvantages of colorblindness in the base palette of the game. It’s neat that it can also serve as a sort of color blind mode though. Good thing someone forgot to disable it :lolz:

:) Very weird that running a simulation for my own colorblindness ends up helping me.

• @KEIS:

@ReMixx:

@KEIS:

I’m probably going to be using #2 everytime i play now.

Unfortunately, I need to type this command in (or bind it to a key) on every map change.

I really hope for a better easier option, maybe in the options. It is very hard for me to read the mason names at the bottom of the screen, and in darker maps, a lot of people look the same.

How can I check which option is best for me to use? It has been a long while since I was “Diagnosed” and I dont remember which type of color blind I am.

• @Mashuu:

I really hope for a better easier option, maybe in the options. It is very hard for me to read the mason names at the bottom of the screen, and in darker maps, a lot of people look the same.

How can I check which option is best for me to use? It has been a long while since I was “Diagnosed” and I dont remember which type of color blind I am.

Why not try them all and pick whichever one works the best?

Typing the command without a number lists all the options I believe.

• @Mashuu:

Don’t wanna sound like a dick, but that’s really something you should know about. There are a tons of tests online. Like these.

• @carrion:

@Mashuu:

Don’t wanna sound like a dick, but that’s really something you should know about. There are a tons of tests online. Like these.

I am a little bit of both of the red-green green-red types.

What id like to see is maybe a menu with a ishihara plate, and the various colorblind filters that you can select to see what works best for you.

• @Mashuu:

If you’re looking for your diagnosis name, the best website to check would be “enchroma”. That might be the second best thing to actually seeing a doctor.