Premium skins/costume items

• Not sure if I’m placing this in the right forum or if there’s been any discussion of such before (I couldn’t find any when I searched), but I was wondering of the developers if there had been any talk about doing microtransaction based costume items and helms - obviously, there’s some support for it already in the system with the unlockable helms, although those don’t go very far. I know people often react a bit negatively to the idea of microtransactions and DLC, but as somebody who bought every skin for Killing Floor and more than a few TF2 hats, I have to say that shit is like catnip for me. I bought this game on sale, but I’ve sunk more time into it than I can even comprehend already, looking up and realizing I’ve lost hours of time in the blink of an eye. I’d certainly love a way to express my appreciation beyond that, and this is definitely something I’d drop my dollars into. In the meantime, I’ll buy some friends copies of the game and see if I can’t get them in on the fun too. :)

For everyone else, of course, it’s worth asking - am I the only one interested in seeing some premium costume items? I’m sure the devs would love to hear whether or not it’s worth their time and investment.

Edit: I wanted to put this here to dispel some possible misunderstanding - I would never advocate placing gameplay content behind a pay wall. I am solely addressing things with cosmetic value, with the intent of making it possible for the devs to do more free gameplay updates.

• I’ve seen a thread for this many times before, and I will post what I said before - NO. JUST NO.

This game it meant to be about fighting, not character customization! The devs have said that there will be emblem customization, and more helmets, and I think that’s good enough. Microtransactions just kinda ruin the game for everyone else not willing/able to pay for cool stuff.

• Oh, yes, that’s all very reasonable discussion. Where’s a rolleyes smiley when you need one?
    @Hadron:

This game it meant to be about fighting, not character customization! The devs have said that there will be emblem customization, and more helmets, and I think that’s good enough. Microtransactions just kinda ruin the game for everyone else not willing/able to pay for cool stuff.

Adding costumes doesn’t make a game less about the gameplay unless there’s a conscious choice to make it not be. Team Fortress 2 has sacrificed the quality of its gameplay for silly stuff, but there isn’t a need to make that compromise.

What microtransactions really do is enable the developers to continue making money on the product. They’re already providing free content updates to us with little more than the hope that they can sell more copies of the game by adding that value, while their installed userbase benefits from that forever. They do have to continue to profit to stay solvent.

Per your points about “willing” and “able:” if you’re not willing to buy costume items, don’t. Nobody is twisting your arm. If it just breaks your heart that you can’t wear a fancy hat and you’re not willing to pay for something that typically is about the price of two sodas, I frankly have no clue what to tell you. Grow up, maybe? Per “able,” if you can afford to purchase a gaming-quality computer and already purchased this game, you can afford another couple bucks for vanity items.

• My initial gut feeling is to reject and hate the idea for items that can be bought. I prefer earning unlocks as opposed to buying new ones. Having said that, I too have bought several KF packs and a couple hats from TF2. There is a fine line between adding a bunch of junk and giving players nice cosmetics to buy. I think since there is so few customization to begin with, making people pay for more may rub some the wrong way. I am also having trouble thinking of things I would deem ok to be purchasable.

• @Dick:

Oh, yes, that’s all very reasonable discussion. Where’s a rolleyes smiley when you need one?
    @Hadron K:

Adding costumes doesn’t make a game less about the gameplay unless there’s a conscious choice to make it not be. Team Fortress 2 has sacrificed the quality of its gameplay for silly stuff, but there isn’t a need to make that compromise.

What microtransactions really do is enable the developers to continue making money on the product. They’re already providing free content updates to us with little more than the hope that they can sell more copies of the game by adding that value, while their installed userbase benefits from that forever. They do have to continue to profit to stay solvent.

Per your points about “willing” and “able:” if you’re not willing to buy costume items, don’t. Nobody is twisting your arm. If it just breaks your heart that you can’t wear a fancy hat and you’re not willing to pay for something that typically is about the price of two sodas, I frankly have no clue what to tell you. Grow up, maybe? Per “able,” if you can afford to purchase a gaming-quality computer and already purchased this game, you can afford another couple bucks for vanity items.

Don’t lecture me about games with micro transactions. I’ve played TF2 for a while now, and IK most about it. Anyways, it just ruins the game experience for other people - oh, “look at that guy, he’s so awesome-looking! Hey dude, where’d you get that? Paid $10 for it on the store. Oh.” It’s annoying.

PLUS, this game is NOT an RPG - like I said before, this game is about the fighting, not the socializing. Here, you’re not your steam ID, you’re just enemy #10000000000.

• I get your zest for the game and want to support it by buying stuff.

I would be happy paying extra for something.

Skins though I just don’t think its the kind of community that would make it worthwhile.

Adding the ability to load your own skin would be cool. And if someone wanted to sell skins then sure free market and all that.

• Have to say that I categorically disagree with the concept that you are forwarding. That said; your comments….

In the meantime, I’ll buy some friends copies of the game and see if I can’t get them in on the fun too.

……are heart warming, it must be nice being your friend.

Good luck with the recruitment drive but as for Cash = Kit…… Nay.

• @Reginhard:

Cash = Kit

I’m not sure how to read this. I feel I should reiterate that my first post did not address adding any gameplay content as paid, which is a strategy I also categorically disagree with. I would only suggest purely cosmetic items, and my intent behind this is to really enable the devs to continue supporting this game in the long run with gameplay updates and patches.

• @gregcau:

I get your zest for the game and want to support it by buying stuff.

Skins though I just don’t think its the kind of community that would make it worthwhile.

Adding the ability to load your own skin would be cool. And if someone wanted to sell skins then sure free market and all that.

My skin woud be me wearing only a pink speedo.

• @Slaughtervomit:

@gregcau:

I get your zest for the game and want to support it by buying stuff.

BWAHAHAHAHA :D

• Hat Fortress 2 all over again

• @Wingy:

Hat Fortress 2 all over again

If it is ever implemented, which I sincerely hope they will not.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I feel nauseous.

• If there was anything about customization in Chivalry, I’d like to see armor customization in the form of picking different loadout types… Like if you want to be a knight, but not so clanky for more stealth, less armor value, there could be options for that… Like trade one stat for another stat that doesn’t make you any stronger overall…

@gregcau:

@Slaughtervomit:

I feel nauseous.

Yeah, me too… I’ve seen me naked. It’s not pretty.

• @Dick:

@Reginhard:

Cash = Kit

I’m not sure how to read this. I feel I should reiterate that my first post did not address adding any gameplay content as paid, which is a strategy I also categorically disagree with. I would only suggest purely cosmetic items, and my intent behind this is to really enable the devs to continue supporting this game in the long run with gameplay updates and patches.

It seems to me that you would like the ability to pay money for cosmetic items; I believe that I summed up this proposal rather succinctly as Cash = Kit.

• @Reginhard:

@Dick:

@Reginhard:

Cash = Kit

It seems to me that you would like the ability to pay money for cosmetic items; I believe that I summed up this proposal rather succinctly as Cash = Kit.

Seemed obvious to us only, I guess :?

• @Dick:

Oh, yes, that’s all very reasonable discussion. Where’s a rolleyes smiley when

Your argument is pointless. Your saying about TF2 having all those stupid items and that started sacrificing game play, but don’t make the same compromise.

Think about it, as soon as Torn Banners think, you know what, we’ll add a few to make skins to make more money.
    Then loads more requests will come in and the forum will be bombarded with new ideas on skins / costumes. Also adding costumes or skins will take out some of the realism from the game. When would you ever hear of a knight in his full armor longsword blazing, shield on his back, wearing not a helmet no, a jester hat…. Might be a bit of a laugh, but it would never happen. Would much rather this game kept it’s realism then have stupid hats or other things in the game…

• @Hadron:

Seemed obvious to us only, I guess :?

Indeed; however, I do accept some responsibility for failing to communicate my opinion. I didn’t mention this in my last communique as I didn’t feel that tone of the response merited servitude on my behalf.

I appreciate your support on the matter.