Are the knights the worse class for duels?

• Hi, maybe I am not a good player but I have a lot of problems to win duels against good other classes players. MAA simply destroy me. In a duel combat, knights havent a real adventage, bad mobility, bad/normal attack speed, normal range.

Can you give me some tips? maybe I am doing something bad against MAA.

• His advantage is his extra health.
    You’ll have to change to your (faster) secondary against certain classes/opponents. MAA generally speaking is one of them. Most usually have a “pattern” of dodging out of range and back in once you miss, try to take advantage of that. Most also play defensively, waiting to parry so double-triple fake them. Generally speaking even if you trade hits the Knight will win.

I do find that a MAA in the hands of a good player is a duel beast. A good Knight can probably kill him but will really break a sweat.

• There’s a tutorial on this in the Tactics/Tutorials section of the Board Index. Pretty sure someone posted a knight/longsword tutorial there.

• “use a Combo backswing”
    “Try to hit me with a Combo backswing”

• Banning ranged wpns, knight should be 3rd or 2nd best. VAns get the better of the ranged melee weapons as per duels and archers will only have the lite wpns if you ban ranged making them an a weak sauce class to melee duel.

KNights can hold their own with shields and moderate 1/h wpns. They’re slow as molasses, so if you plan on playing one for dueling, know that footsies is your worse skill.

• I feel like the knight is on par with MaA. They’re about equal in their dueling efficacy in the new duel mode.

In what’s considered duels at the moment, you’re usually in moor or arena and thus have practically infinite room to backpeddal and dodge away. This puts MaA at an advantage. In the new duel mode, the maps are a lot more confined and it’s easier to force a MaA into a corner or at least limit the area he can move around in. Without that advantage a Knight is just innately superior to MaA - access to the same weapons + his own primaries, and 1-2 more hits to kill.

So, dodge and enhanced back/side mobility is still useful, but a smart knight will just play super aggressively and force you into a position where you can’t use that advantage to its full potential, and then he wins numerically.

• @SlyGoat:

but a smart knight will just play super aggressively and force you into a position where you can’t use that advantage to its full potential, and then he wins numerically.

Anyone playing aggressively and smart will do the same thing. Given the mobility advantage and still being able to dodge, MAA can space very well. A knight really won’t space or zone me especially with their 2/handers. they are too slow and being aggressive requires the able to zone with range and speed. The knight can have range, but will more and likely be aggresive due to his sturdiness. A good MAA doesn’t care how much hp someone has. Their core gameplay is to be aware of space, close gaps, and force mistakes. The knight doesn’t really stand a chance technique wise.

• Oh, and in duel mode both players properly count as enemies, so the chase mechanic is in effect, meaning knights sprinting towards men-at-arms can move faster than a man-at-arms sprinting away, let alone backpeddaling/dodging.

• Agreed with slygoat, aggressive Knight has superior odds against MAA.

• Take advantage of the knight’s biggest gift: shields.

While I like aggressive play, the only way to truly be effective against an MAA’s lightning strikes is to turtle with a shield. Wear him out by immediately shielding after a missed swing, you don’t gain anything doing so, but its safe and doesn’t cost stamina even if he doesn’t hit you. With shields up, get in close and bash. Make liberal use of feints for best results.

Try warhammer with kiteshield and falchion as secondary, its one of the most fun and effective loadouts for knight. Falchion takes care of lighter MAAs in 2 hits, while warhammer does the same for vanguards and knights (you gotta have at least 1 headshot for knight)

• @SlyGoat:

Oh, and in duel mode both players properly count as enemies, so the chase mechanic is in effect, meaning knights sprinting towards men-at-arms can move faster than a man-at-arms sprinting away, let alone backpeddaling/dodging.

I can understand this pursing mechanic. Does this affect lateral movement as well vs someone pursing? Does this also affect dodge distance (back dodge)?

• @tlbww:

@SlyGoat:

Oh, and in duel mode both players properly count as enemies, so the chase mechanic is in effect, meaning knights sprinting towards men-at-arms can move faster than a man-at-arms sprinting away, let alone backpeddaling/dodging.

I can understand this pursing mechanic. Does this affect lateral movement as well vs someone pursing? Does this also affect dodge distance (back dodge)?

It only effects forward speed.

• If you are having trouble with MAAs, switch to your faster secondary. Remember, your secondaries account for 2/3 MAA primary weapon lines, so you can match their swing speed.