Mechanics qn: Stamina drain from parrying/blocking

• This is more a question for the pro’s than a suggestion…

How exactly is the amount of stamina drained from a successful block calculated? In my mind, it works in relation to the difference in weapon sizes - that is to say, it takes a lot of stamina to parry a maul with a thrusting dagger, but it takes very little stamina to parry a dagger using a maul.

However I’ve always just kinda assumed this is how it works without ever testing it. So… is that how it works? Plz halp.

Edit: Also, what is the difference to stamina when blocking with a shield vs parrying with a weapon?

• You hit the nail on the head - stamina drain from swinging a weapon is related to weapon size.

Also, shields take less stamina to block with that a parry does, but you can’t really see what’s going on when it is held up - so try and use it like a parry instead of a wall.

• @Hadron:

You hit the nail on the head - stamina drain from swinging a weapon is related to weapon size.

The original question was “How is stamina drained when blocking, against different weapon attacks”.

As in, how is it balanced that a dagger, wielded with one hand, block a massive 2-hand strike from a great maul.

• @sinister3vil:

@Hadron:

You hit the nail on the head - stamina drain from swinging a weapon is related to weapon size.

The original question was “How is stamina drained when blocking, against different weapon attacks”.

As in, how is it balanced that a dagger, wielded with one hand, block a massive 2-hand strike from a great maul.

Lol. Ok, yeah, I read that wrong. It’s fairly balanced to me - although not realistic, that’s for damn sure :? . Any weapon can parry any weapon - I like that, it allows me to be half-decent at archer even though I can’t shoot for sh*t.

• It’s base damage - <weapon stamina="" threshold="">/ 2 . Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the weapon stamina thresholds to give exact values (shields have stamina thresholds too). Higher damaging attacks therefore remove more stamina.</weapon>

• I think you have to kind of balance the realism with the gameplay. An archer would probably win in real life with his dagger against a maul because if you swung that maul youd be stuck with the momentum of it and the archer would probably tackle you and your maul would be useless and youd have to fight over the knife. So the realism either way doesnt make much sense.

• But also from a realism stand point you choose how much you commit to an attack and can use the shaft or butt to strike changing the point of balance of the weapon

• @Martin:

It’s base damage - <weapon stamina="" threshold="">/ 2 . Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the weapon stamina thresholds to give exact values (shields have stamina thresholds too). Higher damaging attacks therefore remove more stamina.</weapon>

Ah OK, this is what I was after.

• is <weapon stamina="" threshold="">of the swinging weapon or the parrying weapon? It seems from what you said about shields that its of the parrying weapon.
    • likewise, I assume <base damage=""> is of the swinging weapon.
    • in general, what kind of curve do the weapons stamina thresholds follow? Big, high-damage weapons have high thresholds (making parrying with them less draining) or vice-versa? Or is it kinda random</weapon>

• BTW, I think this is an excellent mechanical counter to the ‘why can you parry teh maul using the dagger!’ complaint. ie. You CAN parry anything with the dagger, but you take a big stamina penalty for doing so… the more damaging the attack, the more stamina you lose.

While it might be slightly more ‘realistic’, the alternative (making some weapons unblockable to other weapons) is game-breaking.

• Weapon stamina threshold is of the weapon parrying, and base damage is of the weapon attacking, yes. I honestly really can’t remember any of the stamina threshold values, and they are likely to have changed, so I won’t second guess them, but it is loosely based on the weapon size so daggers will always lose lots of stamina in prolonged combat, whereas big heavy weapons like the Knight’s 2H Axes and 2H Swords will lose much less stamina in prolonged combat. Vanguard weapons are also good for prolonged combat.