Stereotypes in Chivalry in the eyes of a vanguard. Updated!

• there are two more types of MAA

The One Trick Pony:

Learned the effectiveness of forward dodge + attack from winning duels against inexperienced opponents that could not react fast enough or makes pointless mistakes. Will get many kills against inexperienced players by simply forward dodging into them with an attack charged up, and doing this repeatedly until their death. Dies against anyone that can parry this tactic because the MAA does not know any other tactic.

The Manipulator:

Learned that the forward dodge + attack tactic rarely works against good players due to losing to them in duels. These MAA will bluff their opponent by doing forward dodge + attack intentionally to get parried. They will then forward dodge + feint + attack while their opponent attempts to parry too quickly as they are expecting the One Trick Pony MAA (they bought the bluff). Will continue to mix up their tactics with dodges and feints and attacks. Opponents that die to these MAA will feel as if the MAA is reading their mind on every single move.

• @FrostFire626:

A topic that lets everyone compliment themselves, pure genius.

Yep.

• The melee archer
    The pirate
    The flanker
    The brutal/Swordmaster

Good thread Delfagro

• The melee archer

50% artful dodger, 40% skilled shieldman, 10% pirate

The flanker

The swordmaster (more like a sword user)

• Artful Dodger

Flanker

Swordmaster I guess.

And for Archer I don’t know. Probably switches between all of those from game to game >_>.

• Melee archer

Artful Dodger

The flanker

Swordmaster

• I’m the Mad Brutal Flanking Pirate Shieldswording Spammer Archer. I defy your conventions.

• 80% flanker, 20% halberder.

I like being sneaky and attacking single targets (But I always innate these sneak duels with a kick, to give my target awareness. Leading to many deaths when they last to long and someone less honorable decides to behead me.)

However, Despite the halberds amazing frontline abilities, I hate both horizontal and frontlines enough that I avoid both entirely.

(Albiet, Precise horizontal attacks have earned a spot in my heart for what I call “reaping” starting my horizontal attacks a few inches off a target who is trying to get up close, this punts them right into the center of my field of view when they block, preventing them from flanking me successfully, Or just killing them if they dont attempt to parry. I still do not use horizontal attacks when fighting groups simply out of respect.)

• Identifying stereotypical behavior of enemies on large servers can be helpful. Making assumptions to predict their behavior based on some cues in their playstyle is good cognitive economy as it frees attentional and perceptional resources for more important tasks, for example staying alive.

@Mindlapse:

there are two more types of MAA

The One Trick Pony:

Learned the effectiveness of forward dodge + attack from winning duels against inexperienced opponents that could not react fast enough or makes pointless mistakes. Will get many kills against inexperienced players by simply forward dodging into them with an attack charged up, and doing this repeatedly until their death. Dies against anyone that can parry this tactic because the MAA does not know any other tactic.

The Manipulator:

Learned that the forward dodge + attack tactic rarely works against good players due to losing to them in duels. These MAA will bluff their opponent by doing forward dodge + attack intentionally to get parried. They will then forward dodge + feint + attack while their opponent attempts to parry too quickly as they are expecting the One Trick Pony MAA (they bought the bluff). Will continue to mix up their tactics with dodges and feints and attacks. Opponents that die to these MAA will feel as if the MAA is reading their mind on every single move.

Thanks for your contribution! I feel that they fit as different steps on the evolutionary ladder for “artful dodger”, being increasingly more dangerous and at some point becoming the foe that will kill the fastest if encountered in 1v1 situations. I will edit to include some of your points. I have met the manipulator on the battlefield. He will kill more, and die more than the equally skilled shield MAA due to his emphasis on destroying single targets, and sometimes getting tunnel vision in achieveing this.

I would fit most as:
    Melee archers
    The mad
    Flanker
    Brutal

• Great read! I’d say I’m a Swordmaster/Brutal/Pirate/Flanker, in that order.

• You have a very interesting break-up of the playstyles. I think you did I good job summing the most important ones up.
    I just want to mention that you just forgot the whole javelin class (I see it as a separate class although it formally isn’t) in your break-up, since it is played in a unique way it should have a separate mention in my opinion.

Then I think there is a difference in the “throwers” and the “melees” groups
    Throwers
    More focusing in picking of enemy groups with the high damage javelins at relatively close-quarters or counter-archer with the short javelins with a melee back-up better than regular archer.
    Melee
    This style actually uses the unique potential of the javelin class. Using the javelin throw more as a tertiary weapon for incidental kills and focusing on fighting the majority of battles in melee duels. The experienced players will use the passive backstab buff to their use to take out knights in two blows. Although a high risk playstyle, experienced players can use the ‘squishy-ness’ to their advantage and using the rage of underestimating knights and vanguards against them, not expecting a serious duel.

I will mention the tactis I use with the playstyle so maybe some of you can learn (or criticize!) my experiences.

I play since launch and I think I can manage quite well with all classes.
    Javelineer (melee) as an archer
    The artful dodger as MAA. I actually do not fit since I do not dodge (never gotten used to it), but I simply use my distance management in the same way, profiting mainly from missing strikes of the enemy to close in and overwhelm.
    The Spearman as the vanguard. I especially try to keep a friendly (preferably knight) in front of me and stab past him in an enemy trying to hit that same friend. Really using the length of the spear.
    Swordsman as the knight. Although not my favorite class (too slow), the sword of war is in my opinion one of the least annoying weapons to wield. I am horrible with the other knight weapons though :?

• For the artsy dodge, they are more likely to rush objectives and run interference.

For the pirate, more likely to defend objectives.

For the skilled shieldsmen, they are more likely to push objectives and support teammates.

New player archers NEVER change to 2ndary.

Good archers tend to be the last man standing on team games and are great for upsets.

Possible suggestion for the knight: The Vanight: This player more than likely just got the veteran helmet for the Vanguard, and changed to the knight given the similarity in 2handed weapons. They may have just started the game.They tend to run around with the maul or greatswords, alone, and do their own thing. You can find these knights by themselves most of the time trying to take on groups of enemies with the lmb only, often hitting walls or anything else but the enemy. They will never use their 2ndaries nor a shield. In essence, they play a lmb spammer w/o the speed or charge perks of a vanguard nor the support of an organized team. They lead a lone, often fruitless, charge sans ability.

Depending on the mode, I'm either a artsy dodger or skilled shieldman.

Melee archer for sure

I don't play van, I'll say the lmb spammer as NO ONE will admit to being imperfect.

A shieldsmen

• I try to not make the categories too narrow. More of an outline of stereotypes that most players would recognize. The list was indeed missing a section for these pesky spear throwers (no offense ;) ) and knights lacking the plan and determination of “the brutal” and the finesse and elegance of the “swordmaster”.

@Nivve:

Throwers
    More focusing in picking of enemy groups with the high damage javelins at relatively close-quarters or counter-archer with the short javelins with a melee back-up better than regular archer.
    Melee
    This style actually uses the unique potential of the javelin class. Using the javelin throw more as a tertiary weapon for incidental kills and focusing on fighting the majority of battles in melee duels. The experienced players will use the passive backstab buff to their use to take out knights in two blows. Although a high risk playstyle, experienced players can use the ‘squishy-ness’ to their advantage and using the rage of underestimating knights and vanguards against them, not expecting a serious duel.

I left out javelinmen on purpose, as I didn’t encounter them often enough to formulate an outline for stereotypical behavior. As a twist of irony, last night i of course ran into some fairly deadly javelinmen! However most javelinmen on public servers tend to be in your “thrower” category with varying levels of aim. In the eyes of a vanguard, these guys vary on awareness and aim. Those with low awareness can be free kills, those with awareness + aim can be a true pain to deal with. Based on your input, i will write a “javeliner” part.

@tlbww:

Possible suggestion for the knight: The Vanight: This player more than likely just got the veteran helmet for the Vanguard, and changed to the knight given the similarity in 2handed weapons. They may have just started the game.They tend to run around with the maul or greatswords, alone, and do their own thing. You can find these knights by themselves most of the time trying to take on groups of enemies with the lmb only, often hitting walls or anything else but the enemy. They will never use their 2ndaries nor a shield. In essence, they play a lmb spammer w/o the speed or charge perks of a vanguard nor the support of an organized team. They lead a lone, often fruitless, charge sans ability.

Excellent suggestion! Haha, these are actually frequently encountered. Needed a fourth category for knights, and i think your points on lacking awareness, fearless and unsophisticated fighting style are very to the point. I will take the liberty of editing your suggestion and adding it to the list.

• Ah yes, the pirate… My beloved playstyle for everytime the server loads an FFA map. Used to be I’d pick a heavy hitter class and join the big boys in the melee, but that got old fast. These days I pick MAA, grab any of the swords and my trusty firepot and just run around, doing the mandatory laugh/taunt spam, breaking up duels, killing stragglers, teabagging and genrally trying to piss off as many people as I possibly can. Although I certainly don’t shy from melee combat. It’s a bucketload of fun and while it doesn’t always net me the first place, particularly if there are many other good players around, at least it ensures I get the most fun out of the mindless carnage that is the mode. Nothing better than finally getting killed, then immediately finding your killer who is likely engaged in combat and using the firepot to burn both him and his opponent and whoever else is unlucky enough to be on the spot, move in and clean up the stragglers.

• Since I play on a continuous FFA server (as in no other game modes)…

I am the melee archer primarily although not really in the way you describe since I use a heavy crossbow. You often only get time for 1 shot and then you HAVE to pull out your melee weapon. I prefer the saber or the thrusting dagger, preferably the former and am not easy to kill. Especially good at stun locking newb vanguards into submission. I tend to fail against good feinters though. If I notice them feinting though, I’ll generally avoid direct melee with them in future, prefering to backstab since it’s FFA and I get a damage bonus for it.

I am a spearman vanguard secondarily. Continually topping the kills to deaths ratio with the tier 3 spear. In team games though, the buggy nature of this weapon causes me to kill quite a few allies as well as enemies so I avoid using it in team game modes. In FFA, since I’ve unlocked all weapons on every class, I prefer being a melee crossbowman because it challenges me a lot more than mindless scroll down thrusting on the tier 3 spear.

As I said, I play almost solely on a server that only has FFA game mode so I have become attuned to watching the grass behind my back for those pesky charging vanguards. If I was to visit another server, I’d probably be a force to be reckoned with but as it is… I prefer FFA.

• In LTS games when ever I’m an archer I’m nearly always the last on my team. Only once have I managed to win from that with multiple players left on the other team.

There were four of them. I hit the MAA with my warbow swapped to my trusty short sword block the MMA attack. The MAA got team killed by a knight attacking me. A vanguard joined the fray and I took down the vanguard pretty easy with the help of their knight using his LMB. Took down the retarded knight. And another knight comes around. I challenge him to a fist fight and win.

It was pretty funny really. Its the only time I had done something like that. And strangely enough I wasn’t called a hacker or anything. They were laughing. Everyone who attacked me was too overconfident (or unlucky in the MMAs case).

• Archer : “The melee archer” … : ( the description fits me perfectly , lol a bit scary , seriously , spot fn on …

Man at arm : “The artful dodger” … but i dont use dodge, but the rest of the description fits me( and a bit The pirate … i use throwables often and spam laugh ))

Vanguard : “none of them” … claymore or sweihander … normaly , my team killing ratio stand between 1 tk for 2-3 games … often k/d positive and minded on the objectives ( the objectives are absolute!) but as the maa , i tend to hunt single enemies

Knight : “The swordmaster” … fits me … as long that it doesnt involve feinting … i cant feint effectivly for #$%^ and never use shields …

( but again , even as an archer , the objectives are absolute … i dont care about my k/d ratio … )