New Weapon Idea

• MaA specific weapon - a rapier. Good at stabs, and about as fast as a saber, but with the reach of the broadsword. However, it has low power in exchange for speed. Wwhat d’you guys think? I think it’d work because it matches the time period and location of the game perfectly.

• I dunno dude, I’m pretty sure that the rapier is from the renaissance.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapier

• Thats when it was originally designed, yes, but it was still in use at this time period.

• Hopefully if this weapon was released, it wouldn’t be like holy water sprinkler and underpowered….

• You do know the Rapier has been in the game since beta right?
    Pointless thread…

• @SuprA:

You do know the Rapier has been in the game since beta right?
    Pointless thread…

Rapier does not exist in-game at this point in time. Shaddup.

• @SuprA:

You do know the Rapier has been in the game since beta right?
    Pointless thread…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapier

Anyway, it wouldn’t be appropriate to this game.

• @Sir:

it wouldn’t be appropriate to this game.

Agreed. During the renaissance, blades went two ways. Either lighter and more narrow for precision, or larger and heavier to just cleave through. And as much as I adore the design and aethetics of the rapier sword, I just dont see it fitting in with the game

• A rapier was made after the approximate time this game is set in. By a few hundred years.

• The game is set in a imaginative world (this means you are not bound to follow real history). If you think not adding a weapon because it was introduced only later in our own world history, then you are horribly mistaken. There already are weapons that were rarely or never used in medieval times (Double bladed axe) in the game. As long as a weapon has a medieval look and function, it potentially has a place in the game.

• @Siegfried:

The game is set in a imaginative world (this means you are not bound to follow real history). If you think not adding a weapon because it was introduced only later in our own world history, then you are horribly mistaken. There already are weapons that were rarely or never used in medieval times (Double bladed axe) in the game. As long as a weapon has a medieval look and function, it potentially has a place in the game.

If you go there then we might as well add the arquebuse.

• @gregcau:

@Siegfried:

The game is set in a imaginative world (this means you are not bound to follow real history). If you think not adding a weapon because it was introduced only later in our own world history, then you are horribly mistaken. There already are weapons that were rarely or never used in medieval times (Double bladed axe) in the game. As long as a weapon has a medieval look and function, it potentially has a place in the game.

If you go there then we might as well add the arquebuse.

I don’t think we’re gonna go quite that far :/

• Aside from specifically a rapier, there are other swords like the estoc that would look the part better.

Also having something like a matchlock or hand gonne would be a very extreme crossbow but without the accuracy at far range, though it’d get there faster.

• @Hadron:

Thats when it was originally designed, yes, but it was still in use at this time period.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but the renaissance came after the medieval period. So if the rapier was originally designed during the renaissance, then it could not still have been in use during the medieval period. Though, I do love the idea, and I’d be totally be willing to turn a blind eye to the historical falseness.

• Would this be a new class that sneaks up behind enemies and gives them unwanted se…… ohhhhh rapIER.

I agree it wouldn’t really fit with Chivalry’s aesthetic, especially since this game is very brutal and gritty, while rapiers tend to be used by snooty effeminate guys with fluffy shirts and pencil mustaches.

• The quarterstaff also comes from the early beginnings of the renaissance (according to wikipedia) and the rapier also does not really fit big plated knights, so I am not opposed to this idea. I do think it would be more fitting for a secondary as is the rapier. It would essentially be a saber but instead of the focus on the swing, it has a focus on the thrust.

• @Nivve:

The quarterstaff also comes from the early beginnings of the renaissance (according to wikipedia)

haha wikipedia, kids today (no offense).

it was around a lot longer before that. look at some medieval weapon books in your library.

• @Hikousen:

@Hadron:

Thats when it was originally designed, yes, but it was still in use at this time period.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but the renaissance came after the medieval period. So if the rapier was originally designed during the renaissance, then it could not still have been in use during the medieval period. Though, I do love the idea, and I’d be totally be willing to turn a blind eye to the historical falseness.

Sorry, got my time periods mixed up.

• @Steel:

Would this be a new class that sneaks up behind enemies and gives them unwanted se…… ohhhhh rapIER.

I agree it wouldn’t really fit with Chivalry’s aesthetic, especially since this game is very brutal and gritty, while rapiers tend to be used by snooty effeminate guys with fluffy shirts and pencil mustaches.

Yes, but take the Agathians’ armor off and that’s what you get - knights and almost all warriors at that time were nobles or semi-nobles.

• @gregcau:

@Nivve:

The quarterstaff also comes from the early beginnings of the renaissance (according to wikipedia)

haha wikipedia, kids today (no offense).

it was around a lot longer before that. look at some medieval weapon books in your library.

That was the exact reason why I mentioned that it was from wikipedia. Normally I would look up so there is no doubt, but with 4 exams for my masters degree I settled for less and let people correct it if wikipedia is wrong again ;).

(I did look in the book ‘The new weapons of the world encyclopedia’ (2007), but it was not even in there…)

Just another thing, was the combination of a spear and shield still used after the romans?
    It would bring some more differentiation for the VG like the other classes.