Stunlocks and other issues.

• So… Archers are the ultimate melee class. Go with me on this. One of their daggers can literally stun-lock a target, making them unable to block or swing. As a knight, this is about the most frustrating thing you can have happen to you. Sitting there, slowly being chipped down.

But honestly? Speed and reach seem to be the only two stats that seem to matter. The difference between needing two hits and needing three to kill the target is fairly minor, and few weapons outside the dagger ever need four. Minor variations in power that don’t change the number of hits needed don’t really matter, meaning any weapon at that threshold would be judged solely on reach and speed.

Don’t get me wrong. I love reach and speed. I play vanguards and man at arms. But it just seems like power is a non-factor. Yes, I know, I’ve used the maul, but I still stand by this point. When it doesn’t change the number of hits needed to kill the target, power really doesn’t matter. And when it does, honestly, it’s still a secondary concern.

And one other thing. I was told this game had a “Chase” mechanic, where if you were following an enemy, you got a speed boost. Likely to try to make it so knights could catch back peddling… anythings really. As fun as it is to stab them to death while they flail around, and to make just turning and running a less useful strategy. Sadly, this doesn’t actually seem the case. Was this feature ever actually considered, or was someone just pulling my leg?

• The chase mechanic’s in the game - how do you think I kept up running after an archer as a knight?

• That’s funny, I’ve failed to catch archers as a Knight.

*Edit- Getting my classes mixed.

• You have to aim at your enemy. You only get the chase bonus if your dot is red.

• @Falc:

You have to aim at your enemy. You only get the chase bonus if your dot is red.

Thank you.

• @Falc:

You also have to be close enough, you can’t just run in the direction of a tiny dot on the horizon and move faster.

As per the topic at hand, there is no such thing as stunlock in Chivalry. Flinch only disables attacking, you can still block the enemy attack or kick/shield bash them to create distance and break the enemy’s momentum. Daggers (and even fists) can be overwhelming for new players because they panic and spam the attack button or repeatedly miss their block and then feel like they were helpless. It will take a good 6 slashes for the hunting knife to kill a knight, so just make sure you time your block well. Don’t spam it. Remember daggers aren’t as fast as you think they are - what I see most often is someone comboing a player down with a dagger, and the player repeatedly blocking too early because they think daggers hit instantly.

• @SlyGoat:

what I see most often is someone comboing a player down with a dagger, and the player repeatedly blocking too early because they think daggers hit instantly.

True dat, people complaining about OP daggers… haha… stfu… daggers aint op… they are tough as hell to make them usefull… I prefer the cudgel anyway, go ahead and play with a toothpick…

This game is all about timing and knowing when to do what… and its not like that there are endless possibilities…

Stunlock is nice, but it happens all the time… working like intended

• @SlyGoat:

@Falc:

You also have to be close enough, you can’t just run in the direction of a tiny dot on the horizon and move faster.

As per the topic at hand, there is no such thing as stunlock in Chivalry. Flinch only disables attacking, you can still block the enemy attack or kick/shield bash them to create distance and break the enemy’s momentum. Daggers (and even fists) can be overwhelming for new players because they panic and spam the attack button or repeatedly miss their block and then feel like they were helpless. It will take a good 6 slashes for the hunting knife to kill a knight, so just make sure you time your block well. Don’t spam it. Remember daggers aren’t as fast as you think they are - what I see most often is someone comboing a player down with a dagger, and the player repeatedly blocking too early because they think daggers hit instantly.

Except it doesn’t work. There is no gap where you can raise a block. Unless they miss. No animation, no attempt. I admit, them missing is quite common, but if they don’t, you literally can’t attempt the block. I’m very sorry to tell you this. The gap between the swings isn’t long enough for a parry to go up, and then down.

Edit Ahh yes. Almost forgot. The blocking in this game is so screwed up that maybe it’s just going through. Forgot to consider that.

• When archers try this on me, I either

A. Kick Them. The point of kick, is that it gives you separation.
    B. Back away and parry. Keep in mind you have to be looking at the weapon. Often it is not that the blocking is broken, its more that you need to keep up with where the weapon is going.
    C. Switch to your fast weapon. You have a secondary too. Often as a knight, I can just switch to my broadsword or whatever. The speed change throws them off, and you will have a much better chance against their fast weapon using yours.

• A. You recover from being kicked at the same moment the kicker recovers from doing the move.
    B. That doesn’t work. You can’t parry due to stun, and you can’t back away fast enough.
    C. Hahaha… no. You will be butchered in the time it takes to switch weapons in this game.

• @Molvanian:

A. You recover from being kicked at the same moment the kicker recovers from doing the move.
    B. That doesn’t work. You can’t parry due to stun, and you can’t back away fast enough.
    C. Hahaha… no. You will be butchered in the time it takes to switch weapons in this game.

A: Even if you recover at the same time, you will have the advantage of reach against those toothpicks.

B: That’s quite simply not true.

C: You can change to your secondary before the archer is facehugging you.

Just parry one of the attacks then counter, if they get too defensive with those toothpicks they’ll run out of stamina.

• Move unpredictably. If you just backpaddle and let him swing at you while you try to parry he’ll get you eventually. Step to the side or charge forward past him. Daggers are short, if you can dodge one swipe as you wind up you should be able to get a hit in easy.

• @Molvanian:

What? Being hit does not “stun” your parry. You can ALWAYS parry. You’re probably just spamming the button and the archer is smart enough to wait until your guard goes down each time.

The only time you can get stunlocked is if you have no stamina and get stunned after each parry (this is your fault, FYI) OR if someone is kicking you repeatedly, which never lasts long as they run out of stamina.

• From what I have seen in my experience with daggers is that flinch doesn’t happen at times and that big 2h weapon comes smashing down on you more times than it should… Stunlock simply doesn’t exist. Yes, getting hit causes flinch which cancels an attack before windup is over, but sometimes flinch is broken and the attack happens.

Nabster is 100% right that you can always parry even while being hit with a dagger or anything else. There is just a short cooldown for parry so it isn’t a block.

The only problem I can see with dagger attacks is flinch doesn’t work 100% of the time when it should.

• @NabsterHax:

@Molvanian:

What? Being hit does not “stun” your parry. You can ALWAYS parry. You’re probably just spamming the button and the archer is smart enough to wait until your guard goes down each time.

The only time you can get stunlocked is if you have no stamina and get stunned after each parry (this is your fault, FYI) OR if someone is kicking you repeatedly, which never lasts long as they run out of stamina.

I dont think so. I have been “stunlocked” many times by MaA. I block, but his telestab goes through my shield, then he face hugs me, then I try to push right mouse button…but my shield wont raise, LMB wont let me attack, and i move at a snails pace.

• If an archer is killing you with a dagger they are a damn good archer. A dagger is in NO way OP…. More than likely your toting a weapon that kills them in 2 hits, and it takes them something like 5 to kill you. Kick is a totally viable option, as it gives you distance while resetting you both. Also, it is possible to block after being stabbed by a dagger. Also, if someone is telestabbing through your shield, they are in reality stabbing around your shield. Move your shield further than you normally would, you will get better results, I promise.

• Hey Molvanian, why don’t you go win every duel using a dagger?

• I don’t understand. The only time you get “stunlocked” as you put it, is when you go into automatic parry mode so obviously the intervals you’re parrying never line up with the combo stabs, or you just plain miss the weapon because he’s facehugging you and stabbing around you/behind you.

And yes, the ‘no-flinch’ glitch frustrates me to no end. Times when I’ve successfully landed 2 combo stabs and suddenly for no reason an overhead manages to wind up is the real problem. Doesn’t feel nice when some maul player spamming overheads without feinting at all or any technical maneuvering manages to 1hit KO you for no justifiable reason.

If you’re getting owned by archers in melee, you clearly just need to improve in melee combat.

Tips:
    1. Don’t panic-parry. Biggest mistake of any beginner
    2. Don’t expect to just throw any random attack and expect it to land. Especially for slow weapons, they are ridiculously easy to parry. FEINT.
    3. With slower, longer reach weapons, keep your distance and don’t let the archer facehug you or get behind you.
    4. Kick. Good combo breaker. Often times for more defensive archers, a kick->feint/double feint is more than enough to clean them up.

• @Molvanian:

@SlyGoat:

@Falc:

Except it doesn’t work. There is no gap where you can raise a block. Unless they miss. No animation, no attempt. I admit, them missing is quite common, but if they don’t, you literally can’t attempt the block. I’m very sorry to tell you this. The gap between the swings isn’t long enough for a parry to go up, and then down.

Edit Ahh yes. Almost forgot. The blocking in this game is so screwed up that maybe it’s just going through. Forgot to consider that.

The fact that you say “The gap between the swings isn’t long enough for a parry to go up, and then down” shows me that you’re missing the parry, then simply keep pressing parry, which locks you into a bad timing of him hitting you, your parry coming up between swings, getting hit again as it lowers, and so on. You have to STOP parrying and time it properly to get a block in, not keep pressing parry or you’ll be stuck in the cycle until you die.

TL;DR (lol) - You’re bad. Stop spamming parry and thinking that’ll work, then blaming the game when it doesn’t work.

• When I am playing an Archer and am forced into melee. That right forced remember you ran at me, not the other way around.

Its about the kick, thrust, overhead

kick - move to your side thrust, move to your back overhead

alternate thrust overhead until or are dead or I am forced to kick again.

Simpley put you can’t parry me when I am stabbing you in the back, getting my bonus.

Most people panic and start press all the buttons as fast as they can.

Some will actually try and turn to face me, a kick solves that.

Heck with alt swings getting to your backside is even easier.